Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Isn't the engine in the 2005 RAV4 the same 2AZ-FE found in the TC? If so, then it would seem to me that we have potential for a large amount of aftermarket support for the engine. Comments?

·
Registered
422 Posts
I would think so. Most notably, the blower that either is or will be (not sure if it's out yet) available for the tC. I'm looking forward to that...someday...when I'm not broke. :roll:

Becky

·
Registered
87 Posts
Re: RAV4 engine same as TC.

nread said:
Isn't the engine in the 2005 RAV4 the same 2AZ-FE found in the TC? If so, then it would seem to me that we have potential for a large amount of aftermarket support for the engine. Comments?
Yes, same engine. Same engine used in the 4cyl Camry - - and the Lotus Elise. :D

You should hear the Loti drivers be-itch and moan over prices they find themselves paying for Lotus-re-boxed Toyota parts. :cry:

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

nfafan said:
nread said:
Yes, same engine. Same engine used in the 4cyl Camry - - and the Lotus Elise. :D

You should hear the Loti drivers be-itch and moan over prices they find themselves paying for Lotus-re-boxed Toyota parts. :cry:
That's their fault. They should be buying parts out of the Toyota catalog when they can. I know the engine has been massaged a bit, so parts might not ALL match up, but should be close

·
Registered
214 Posts
Becky J. said:
I would think so. Most notably, the blower that either is or will be (not sure if it's out yet) available for the tC. I'm looking forward to that...someday...when I'm not broke. :roll:

Becky
I just want the supercharger which is set for the tC and the Nav system out of the Camry. I don't know why, but I'd like to have 225 hp, especially if it's more evenly spaced across the band. My biggest problem with the current RAV4 (my 2005s) is that while it has a lot of power, it's all at the low or mid-range so by the time I'm doing 75, the car feels like it needs an extra punch of power.

I want to customize by RAV. Make it mine as it were, but I don't want to destroy it by lowering it, and "thugging it up" like I see with so many cars on carsdomain.com. I guess I'm just getting too old for such stuff. As such, OEM solutions, even if cobbled from other Toyotas really appeal to me. "Sleeper stock" as I like to say, "Toyota-stein" as I've heard it called.

Anyone heard anything new on the tC supercharger?

Wayne

·
Registered
422 Posts
My biggest problem with the current RAV4 (my 2005s) is that while it has a lot of power, it's all at the low or mid-range so by the time I'm doing 75, the car feels like it needs an extra punch of power.
I find that to be true also. Someday I'll get that supercharger...I can't stay broke forever. :wink:

The hubby and I are still debating various nav systems and aren't likely to make a decision for at least a year. Friends of ours have a very cool DVD based nav system in their Accord, but we're still mulling over the disadvantages of DVD based systems.

OEM solutions, even if cobbled from other Toyotas really appeal to me.
Yep, as is probably obvious from my Rav. :wink: I like the idea of taking aspects of one package (specifically the Sport) and adding them to my L, as well as borrowing from non-Rav Toyotas, and having other Rav owners see it and think "But...I don't remember being offered that option! I didn't see an 'LS' on the lot!" :)

Becky

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea....and I have a 2002 RAV4 2.0 L
I just pulled off a Scion tC engine cover and put it in my car and it fits like a charm !!! yaY!!....
Well I have a Custom Cold Air Intake..and would like to cover that engine junk somehow. So I bought a tC cover and it works. hahahahaa

·
Registered
302 Posts
i hope the header and the supercharger of the tc will fit our rav4.2's......that's the only sure thing to get major HP's.....not so much with the cai and exhaust upgrades..(single digit HP's, i am pretty sure about that...) :shock:

so hopefully somebody can tell us if the tc supercharger has already been out...i am looking for means and ways to save for this upgrade...... :D (doing some self study for cisco CCNA certification and get a better job..... :p ....if you have any tips, you're very welcome to any suggestions....tnks :wink: )

·
Registered
396 Posts
Hey, Ron, you got any pics of that TC engine cover install? I'm about ready to install my Weapon R intake and really hate the look of the engine without the oem airbox covering the plugs. How much do one of those things cost?

Oh yeah, about that K&N filter for everyone else. I've had mine on since 10K on the odometer. I didn't really notice any difference in gas mileage. At 25K miles, I took it off and placed the oem filter while I had my 25K service done at the dealer. I'm now at 28K miles and do notice that the engine tends to lag a bit at higher RPMs than it did with the K&N. Also, I forgot that the 2.0 tends to whine at higher rpms. You guys probably notice like a whirring, whiny sound of the engine when you step on the gas. With the K&N, it didn't have that sound as it was more of a little rumble if at that. The engine doesn't sound as wimpy and tends to shift better. I mean, it still lacks power at the top end, but it just feels more responsive with the K&N. I just never got around to putting it back in cause I was ready to install my Weapon R filter.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts

nfafan said:
nread said:

I thought the Lotus engine was the Toyota 1.8L engine warmed up to 190hp and not the 2.4L found in the RAVs.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Wayne said:
Becky J. said:

Becky
I want to customize by RAV. Make it mine as it were, but I don't want to destroy it by lowering it, and "thugging it up" like I see with so many cars on carsdomain.com. I guess I'm just getting too old for such stuff.

Wayne
i was a bit concerned about the look of a lowered rav4 too. When filling my rav4 with a bunch of my belongings moving back to norcal, i got a hint of how a lowered rav4 would look like. All my stuff weighed down the car enough to lower the suspension. Honestly, I didn't really like it at all. It looked like a wagon. But after finally getting the springs for handling reasons at a great discounted price, i've begun to like the look of a slightly lowered rav4. it doesn't look slammed and "thuggish" as you would say, but i think it cleans it up a bit. Most people don't even notice the 1.3" difference. The handlign improvements are definitely worth it.

·
Registered
471 Posts

nfafan said:
nread said:

and in matrix and in 4cyl highlander

·
Registered
986 Posts
My biggest problem with the current RAV4 (my 2005s) is that while it has a lot of power, it's all at the low or mid-range so by the time I'm doing 75, the car feels like it needs an extra punch of power.
Must be the gearing and the engine combined. My Rav with the older engine and a 5-speed has more power at 75mph+ than it does at 65mph thanks to the gearing in 5th. Once I get up around 3500 rpm and higher it has more grunt because that's when I'm getting near the peak torque range.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Jeff said:
Must be the gearing and the engine combined. My RAV with the older engine and a 5-speed has more power at 75mph+ than it does at 65mph thanks to the gearing in 5th. Once I get up around 3500 rpm and higher it has more grunt because that's when I'm getting near the peak torque range.
Perhaps I mis-spoke, or we think of things differently. Of course, at higher RPM's, you'll get closer to the higher output of the engine, but at 70+ mph, the RAV4 feels like it's straining just to do that. My "old" 2003 Honda Accord with a 150hp 4 cylinder could cruise at 85+ under 3000 RPM and you NEVER felt like it was straining at all.

Perhaps it is, in fact a gearing issue. As I've stated elsewhere, I wish the RAV4 came with a 6-speed manual, with 6'th gear a true overdrive, bringing down the RPM about 1k at 65mph. THEN it would feel like a true highway car.

Just took a trip from Huntsville, AL to New Orleans and back and the RAV4 pretty much kicked my butt compared to the Accord for that long of a trip (~6 hours since I didn't feel that I could push it to the normal 80+ mph speeds that I -- and most people I was getting passed by -- drive). I literally was exhausted by the end of what had been a "slightly tiring" drive before.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Wayne said:
Perhaps I mis-spoke, or we think of things differently. Of course, at higher RPM's, you'll get closer to the higher output of the engine, but at 70+ mph, the RAV4 feels like it's straining just to do that. My "old" 2003 Honda Accord with a 150hp 4 cylinder could cruise at 85+ under 3000 RPM and you NEVER felt like it was straining at all.
i think you cant really compare accord to rav not only because they are different cars, but also that the ration of weight to power is way different. Accosrd is light and even with less hp its ratio can still be higher then rav's which wieghts way more.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Alien18 said:
i think you cant really compare accord to RAV not only because they are different cars, but also that the ration of weight to power is way different. Accosrd is light and even with less hp its ratio can still be higher then RAV's which wieghts way more.
Perhaps, but I politely disagree a bit. The more I look into the issue, the more it seems to be one of gearing, not power. The Accord had a 5 speed AUTO, with a very low final drive, whereas the final drive on the RAV4 is a bit higher, meaning higher revs (and worse mileage) at speed. While weight might have something to do with why they geared 1 through 4 higher than the Accord would have been, the 5th being a higher final gear ratio has much, much more to do with it than the horsepower.

Place the same exact gear ratios in the RAV4 that the Accord had and it wouldn't have nearly the same power off the line (you guys would be screaming how underpowered it was) but there's no reason the two cars couldn't be the same at the same highway speeds if the RAV4 had that one extra, lower ratio 6th gear which equalled the Accord's 5th gear.

That's why all auto makers, including Toyota, are going with at least 5 speed autos and 6 speed manuals now.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wayne said:
Becky J. said:

Becky
I just want the supercharger which is set for the tC and the Nav system out of the Camry. I don't know why, but I'd like to have 225 hp, especially if it's more evenly spaced across the band. My biggest problem with the current RAV4 (my 2005s) is that while it has a lot of power, it's all at the low or mid-range so by the time I'm doing 75, the car feels like it needs an extra punch of power.

I want to customize by RAV. Make it mine as it were, but I don't want to destroy it by lowering it, and "thugging it up" like I see with so many cars on carsdomain.com. I guess I'm just getting too old for such stuff. As such, OEM solutions, even if cobbled from other Toyotas really appeal to me. "Sleeper stock" as I like to say, "Toyota-stein" as I've heard it called.

Anyone heard anything new on the tC supercharger?

Wayne
pyxy_567 said:
i hope the header and the supercharger of the tc will fit our RAV4.2's......that's the only sure thing to get major HP's.....not so much with the cai and exhaust upgrades..(single digit HP's, i am pretty sure about that...) :shock:

so hopefully somebody can tell us if the tc supercharger has already been out...i am looking for means and ways to save for this upgrade...... :D (doing some self study for cisco CCNA certification and get a better job..... :p ....if you have any tips, you're very welcome to any suggestions....tnks :wink: )

Well, it depends on how much power you want :twisted: . ZPI could alter the tC supercharger to fit our Rav4's, then you could do some minor upgrades to get anywhere from 220- 280 hp at the crank. or, we could convince them to alter their tC turbo kits and make some for the Rav4...stage 0 has 230 whp (like 270 hp at the crank), or their stage 1 has 300 hp (350 hp at the crank) 8) . so, us 4WD's could stomp evo's, sti's, mustangs, etc. :shock:

What do you think?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Sounds nice, now my question is..how much do you think it would cost to put that stuff back on and off to pass emissions? If it's viable cost wise, I might like to slap on an altered Tc supercharger. I need power thru all the lower ranges for rallycrossing.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
if you live in cali, definitely do the supercharger...it's emissions legal by TRD. all tC owners in cali are getting the supercharger, then beefing it up with pulley, emanage/tuning, intercooler, etc. 8)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts