Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 1996 Rav4 here in Costa Rica that last month died on me on the way to the airport. I gave it a bit of gas and when it was around 3,000 RPM I heard a bit of a pop and the revs dropped down to like 1000 briefly before the engine stalled. It would 'start' but shut off within a few seconds and sounded like at least one cylinder wasn't firing.

First mechanic roadside noticed one spark plug wire not firing. He changed those and the distributor cap, but no luck. Took it to my normal mechanic and they've run out of idea after 2.5 weeks. Checked or changed the spark plugs, checked the fuel pressure, mechanically the engine seems sound. There's no error code being pushed out. They tried (translating from Spanish here so not sure of exact term) changing the piston positional sensor (something along those lines). No luck. Today they tried a new distributor. Still nothing. The engine turns over but shuts off pretty much right away, even if you try to give it gas. The mechanic's gotten to the point that he's asking me for suggestions. I wanted him to confirm that it wasn't the MAP sensor, but wasn't 100% positive if that would do it and he seemed doubtful it would.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Could be a faulty ground wire,
Im just in the middle of trying to get my Rav going at the moment and there have been some guys have posted there known for bad grounds sometimes. Oh and i think he was referring to a crankshaft positioning sensor. A bad ground can make stuff act weird Ive heard. Good luck . Hey at least you could use tour hand signals mine wont even start hahahaha.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Have they checked the timing belt?
Sometimes when the belt only jumps a little, the engine has enough advance to the ignition to start, and dies when the timing returns to normal.

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,048 Posts
Cam position sensor maybe?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have they checked the timing belt?
Sometimes when the belt only jumps a little, the engine has enough advance to the ignition to start, and dies when the timing returns to normal.
Cam position sensor maybe?

Sorry I never responded, I've got a new update thread here: Ok it won't let me link, but it's in this same sub forum.

Has something to do with the MAP Sensor, but still not sure exactly what. (Put on a new sensor but still not working, thinking either something in the wiring harness or ECU).

·
Registered
7 Posts
When I used to drive a 1965 Chevy I was once told by an American mechanic that the first step is sealing up all air leaks. He listened for them by putting his ear to the handle on a long screwdriver. :) Also, have you tried spraying starting fluid in the manifold intake while starting it to see if that makes any kind of difference? You can test components by eliminating them, or you can test components by supplementing them.

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,048 Posts
MAP Sensor issues, okay do a search on the forum typed like this "RAV4.1 map" and it will give you a lot of things that are attributed to the MAP sensor

No 1 - looks like vacuum leaks/problems - often the EGR VSV has failed
No 2 - The O2 sensor in the exhaust manifold - test it for the proper reading/ohms
N0 3 - Faulty MAP sensor
No 4 - CAM Position Sensor

Note that if the crankshaft position sensor failed or became disconnected it won't fire at all. May be worth checking the sensor though, it could have partially failed, or the wiring has been damaged

Good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts