Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my new to me 2009 RAV4 V6 4WD up to the SoCal mountains over the weekend. I was impressed with how well it ran on mud, ice and snow. It powered straight through and was very well controlled. Areas that were completely impassable for 2WD cars (w/o chains) were easily passed without any slipping by my RAV4. It ran much better than my 2001 X5, which tended to slide around a bunch more in similar conditions. I'm really impressed with this car.

·
Registered
34 Posts
In all fairness, you are comparing a 2001 to a 2009. Lots of newer tech could have been in the Rav that the X5 didn't have. Also the condition of the tires. But glad to see you are liking your Rav, that's really what is most important.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In all fairness, you are comparing a 2001 to a 2009. Lots of newer tech could have been in the Rav that the X5 didn't have. Also the condition of the tires. But glad to see you are liking your Rav, that's really what is most important.
True. Tires are worse on my 09, but maybe it has 1 gen newer 4WD computer control?

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
True. Tires are worse on my 09, but maybe it has 1 gen newer 4WD computer control?
If you need good tires look for a "all weather tire". For snow, mud, rain etc this tires does it all. This is not to be confused with all season tires. The all weather tire has the snow flake logo which means it is rated like a winter tire but can be driven all year round. It is not as good as a real winter tire but better than all season in snow. Consumer Reports tested 5 all weather tires.

·
Registered
310 Posts
The last time I put "snow" tires on a car was a 1980 Chevy Citation.
Never had anything other than OEM tires on anything since.
Location is Northeast Iowa, so we get ice, snow, sleet, rain (sometime all on a minute by minute rotation).
Have never had to call for tow.
Think about accelerating without using the gas pedal, stopping without using the brakes, and steering without using the steering wheel. Patience, grasshopper, patience.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Now I know who is that old fart who slow down all traffic because he going 50-60km/h in 100km zone because light snow fell and he has all season tires all year round :mad:🤬:LOL:
Been at Walmart last weekend, while walking to my car was surprised what around 50% cars on parking lot have all season tires

·
Registered
34 Posts
Now I know who is that old fart who slow down all traffic because he going 50-60km/h in 100km zone because light snow fell and he has all season tires all year round :mad:🤬:LOL:
Been at Walmart last weekend, while walking to my car was surprised what around 50% cars on parking lot have all season tires
[/QU
Are you really surprised? People are cheap and don't value theirs and others safety. They'd rather have the newest phone or TV than spend money on winter tires. Because winter tires are not as cool or trendy as a new phone or tv.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Surprised because near Halifax where I lived before usually every vehicle have winter tires. With often snowstorms people not able even leave their driveways with all season tires. That area pretty steep, many hills. People a bit cheap there, not much well paid jobs, so lots of them put no-name Chinese winter tires.
Here in Edmonton easier to make money and you can easily buy nice condition used tires. But yes, many people don't care. After snowfall most Google map are red, lots accidents but....
Also I found many brand new vehicles, specially Germany brands have all season tires in winter. Yes, owners probably have payments $750-1200+ per month only for vehicle and that cars have great 4matic and quattro. But how that help to stop on red light on icy intersection?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Now I know who the poor soul is that's being put in the back of the ambulance after he blew a fuse and wrapped his car around a tree. Next time, I'll wave as I creep by.
Leave early, slow down, GET OFF THE DAMN PHONE, live to play Boy Racer another day.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts