Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of retrofitting bixenon G5-R projectors into my Rav4 headlights. Still waiting for shrouds and LED strips.. This will be the fifth cars that I have retrofitted with projectors. Nice blue color band on cutoff at close range.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I bought the G5-R from Lightwerkz and ballasts,bulbs and harnesses from TRS. The hardest part is alignment of the cutoff to the original halogen spot.

The projectors have excellent width and good distance lighting as well. The cutoff is sharp and they will light up all five lanes on the freeway.

I've installed switchback led strip inside the headlights and moded the fog lights to be independent from the low beam and as well as stay on during the hi beam

·
Registered
25 Posts
Looks great, I did a Morimoto mini H1 retro on my silver '06 Sport V6 a few months ago. Did another on my Uplander work van and had one previously on my old DD '93 Altima.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I finished the retrofit in two weekends but most of the that time was spent on the alignment of the cutoff. It is possible to finish them in a day if I was in any hurry.

Total cost excluding the switchback led strips was around $350.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just buy my things from The Retrofit Source, the projector kit including projectors, shrouds, bulbs and relay harness was around $200ish and I bought a new pair of smoked Sport style headlights from Ebay for under $100 I believe. The time involved just depends on your aptitude for modding/retrofitting. For me, the largest amount of time was getting the projector rotation dialed in before tightening it all up and baking the headlights back together. You don't want to have to go back in lol. For reference, most retrofitters charge between $700-1200+, usually not including parts. YMMV

I also have a pair or LED amber foglights from TRS that I need to install once I get time. Still have headers and ypipe to get put on as well.

·
Registered
188 Posts
For me, it's worth it. Better lighting for night drive. Safer. I bought from lightwerkz through their ebay shop. They have discount/sale every now and then. Up to 20%. Free shipping over $100 purchases..
Plus it give me an opportunity to learn about how retrofit works. I now added the Diode dynamics ss3 sport amber fog. Which is great for rain and fog. They are pretty wide in pattern. Really like them.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I now added the Diode dynamics ss3 sport amber fog. Which is great for rain and fog. They are pretty wide in pattern. Really like them.
I had seen this too and had contemplated about getting them, but wasn't sure how they would compare with "yellow" fog. From your picture, it looks nice, and with your retrofitted HID on, the camera took in more white light to make the amber fog look like yellow fog.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I like em. Im wanting the pro for my sequoia. Im just waiting for when lightwerkz.net to have holidays sale. Usually you can get anywhere from 15-20% off plus free shipping. Ive seen some photos of the pro version on tundras and the output is niceeeee. Lots of light. That's what I want, for bad weather.

·
Registered
188 Posts
It's definitely hard to get the true color when using smartphone. Im not good with setting for the camera. I like the amber yellow more then the geeenish yellow tou see with all the leds fog bulb out there. The ss3 are more dark yellow if that make sense. No greenish or washed out yellow. Plus, its road legal. No worries bout blinding on coming cars.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts