Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There seems to be quite a bit of commentary in regard to the 4.4 RAV4's "low ground clearance" of "only 6.3 inches" (about the same as a Camry).

I'm curious as to how this is measured. What gives?

For example, when my RAV has been parked directly next to a Subaru Crosstrek XV (8.7" of clearance), it seems that there are a few low points on the Subaru's wheel axles and undercarriage that are as low if not lower than the RAV's undercarriage. And parked next to a Camry, the Rav seems to have more height, not about the same amount of clearance as spec'd.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,894 Posts
Well I would assume it's measured from the exhaust pipe hanging down to the pavement:

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
????
That's it?

So I bought a set of ramps for oil changes for nothing?

I've been doing the oil changes in my '08 5-lug Tacoma without ramps, thought it IS a tight fit.

Meh, I'll need the ramps anyways when the Taco gets replaced by a Corolla in the spring.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I would assume it's measured from the exhaust pipe hanging down to the pavement:
Huh, that makes sense, although I'd be interested to know what qualifies as the low point for measuring ground clearance across all vehicles.

Wonder what the ground clearance would be if Toyota had actually done a proper job engineering the exhaust to lie flat to the undercarriage.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have actually measured my rav at different points under the car to flat pavement. Besides the exhaust it ranges from 7" to 7.5". I have never found the ground clearance to be an issue. Driven through two nasty snowy winters and over some rutted camping roads and she plowed through it with no issues.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Found something on an international Toyota blog that certain variants of the RAV4 (overseas) have a ground clearance of 187mm (7.36"), while the US version with the 2.5L has a lower ground clearance due to the exhaust. Crappy design decision, but makes sense and I guess that's the answer I was looking for!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum, and to Rav4s (have an order for a 2016 XLE on the books, and so excited!) but have a clearance question - does anyone have experience with ground clearance and standard sidewalk curbs? Where I work, I will regularly park my 4-Runner in a gravel lot that requires access via driving (cautiously) directly onto and over a curb. There are several different types of cars that park in this lot (my 4-Runner, pick-ups, Subaru Crosstreks) and I'm just wondering if it will be an option with the new Rav.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
8,120 Posts
The exhaust downpipe at the engine could be a problem, I scraped mine on the edge of pavement once pulling onto a turnout, if you look under any 4.4 gas Rav4, you'll see it hanging down there, it's one reason why I traded the 2015 Limited for a 2016 Hybrid which doesn't have that "feature". The rear is low too, but I think the front is lower and less flexible for sure, the rear can move out of the way if it hits something since the exhaust system is hung on rubber isolators.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The exhaust downpipe at the engine could be a problem, I scraped mine on the edge of pavement once pulling onto a turnout, if you look under any 4.4 gas Rav4, you'll see it hanging down there, it's one reason why I traded the 2015 Limited for a 2016 Hybrid which doesn't have that "feature". The rear is low too, but I think the front is lower and less flexible for sure, the rear can move out of the way if it hits something since the exhaust system is hung on rubber isolators.
My 2016 hybrid exhaust pipe has a clearance of 6 3/4".

·
Registered
44 Posts
My 2016 hybrid exhaust pipe has a clearance of 6 3/4".
I have a special concern regarding my car's ground clearance. For the past 6 years I owned a 2010 Prius(which was an amazing vehicle). The Prius had a low ground clearance(5.5 inches). I found that it could not clear most parking lot curb blocks - scrape, scrape.

My travels require me to travel frequently over a rock slide prone highway. On 3 separate occasions I was unable to miss running over some medium sized rocks on the road. Each time, the ominous banging noises under the vehicle caused me to assume I must have done some serious damage. Fortunately, none actually occurred.

One of the reasons that I chose the Rav4 over the new Prius was that the 2016 Prius ground clearance has actually been lowered from the 5.5 to 5.1 inches.

I have measured around the perimeter of my 2016 Rav4 Hybrid and find that most areas have over 10 inches of ground clearance. The exhaust pipe area that is closest to the ground has 6.755 inches(197 mm) of clearance. It also has the flexibility of rubber mounts that allow it to rise up to over 8 inches from the ground.

It sure is comforting to be able to drive all the way up to the parking lot blocks and not scrape. It also feels much more comforting now when I drive over the highway that is prone to rock slides.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Linux4ever-
Thanks for the running boards pic! Did they come with the hybrid or are they aftermarket? If aftermarket, where did you get them and how did you get them installed? The dealer I got my mudflaps and side molding from said he didn't have running boards for my vehicle.
Thanks!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Linux4ever-
Thanks for the running boards pic! Did they come with the hybrid or are they aftermarket? If aftermarket, where did you get them and how did you get them installed? The dealer I got my mudflaps and side molding from said he didn't have running boards for my vehicle.
Thanks!
I got that from the dealership as add on accessory.

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
My 2005 RAV and 2015 RAV both show 6.3" of ground travel. We got about 7" of snow over the weekend and I was too lazy to clean the driveway being as how they are both AWD vehicles. The old RAV had just the 2 wheel marks in the snow on the way out of the driveway. The 2015 RAV had the 2 wheel paths and the exhaust pipe scraping down the center (I assumed it was the exhaust pipe).
Maybe your tires are bigger on the 2005 RAV? Was the snow actually the same depth for both RAVs?
Sometimes the wind will blow the snow to be thicker one side of your driveway or your roof.
If you're too lazy to take snow off, I guess you're too lazy to actually measure the distance from the exhausts to the ground :)
BTW, Ottawa got 20 inches of snow 2 days ago; it's a new record for my city.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Wow, I didn't know what this thread was all about. I was wondering why people were so anxious about a CUV's ground clearance. Now I have to tell my wife to be careful on speed bumps and such. 6.3" is a tad low, even if it's just the rear portion of the pipe on the Hybrid model.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I have a special concern regarding my car's ground clearance. For the past 6 years I owned a 2010 Prius(which was an amazing vehicle). The Prius had a low ground clearance(5.5 inches). I found that it could not clear most parking lot curb blocks - scrape, scrape.

My travels require me to travel frequently over a rock slide prone highway. On 3 separate occasions I was unable to miss running over some medium sized rocks on the road. Each time, the ominous banging noises under the vehicle caused me to assume I must have done some serious damage. Fortunately, none actually occurred.

One of the reasons that I chose the Rav4 over the new Prius was that the 2016 Prius ground clearance has actually been lowered from the 5.5 to 5.1 inches.

I have measured around the perimeter of my 2016 Rav4 Hybrid and find that most areas have over 10 inches of ground clearance. The exhaust pipe area that is closest to the ground has 6.755 inches(197 mm) of clearance. It also has the flexibility of rubber mounts that allow it to rise up to over 8 inches from the ground.

It sure is comforting to be able to drive all the way up to the parking lot blocks and not scrape. It also feels much more comforting now when I drive over the highway that is prone to rock slides.
Anyway to lock this section so it's closer to 8 inches or is it okay once in a while to scrape the pipe against stuff? It will add some stability when drifting on snow though. :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have not done it on Ravage but, I built a snow pile, drove over it and measured from the scrapped off top to the ground. You could use sand or topsoil or something else.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts