Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my first RAV4...love it. It has the JBL Entune unit with Nav in the Platinum edition. I cannot find a way to enable a "night mode". It's nice and bright during the day, but at night it's glaringly bright...I shouldn't have to manually adjust brightness settings every time the outside lighting changes....for example, I leave for work in the dark, but the sun comes up as I get to work. Every other system I've ever owned automatically dimmed when the headlights came on...except this one. When it's dark out, its extremely bright and lights up the entire interior to the point it's hard to see out on the road.

I've gone through all the obvious menus...can't find out how to set it. Any suggestions?

thanks everyone.

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
Cover the light sensor on dash to simulate night time, then the Day Mode option will show, Display> Setup>Day Mode. It's on page 330 in my manual.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Found it on page 400 in my manual...but that menu item isn't there in the Display---Setup---brightness menu..only the choices for General or Camera. I tried covering the only thing that looks like it might be a sensor...a round button next to the defroster vents of the dash...but no change, even after exiting setup and going back in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Found it on page 400 in my manual...but that menu item isn't there in the Display---Setup---brightness menu..only the choices for General or Camera. I tried covering the only thing that looks like it might be a sensor...a round button next to the defroster vents of the dash...but no change, even after exiting setup and going back in.
I am running into the exact same thing. I found it in the manual, it shows there should be an additional button for "Day Mode" but there is only "General" and "Camera" on mine as well. I would love to find out the solution for this.

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
Headlights on, make sure the instrument panel light control on the lower left instrument panel is in the adjustable range, not all the way to full bright where it clicks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have automatic setting for display brightness. It is working fine at night and day!

Uti

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Headlights on, make sure the instrument panel light control on the lower left instrument panel is in the adjustable range, not all the way to full bright where it clicks.
This provided the final piece of the puzzle. Instrument lights NOT at full, the headlights ON, the Sensor next to defroster vents covered, and voila! The menu setting for "Day Mode" appeared and was checked. I UN-Checked it and will test it tonight/tomorrow morning.

Wouldn't it just be easier to leave that menu context available all the time??? Makes me wonder how many other little goodies are hidden.... maybe we should start a thread on easter eggs....

Thanks again everyone!

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
This.
If the dash dimmer control is rolled all the way up, past the click, it disables night mode on the HU.

It is a poorly documented convenience feature that allows you to return the HU to "day" mode if your lights are on due to perhaps rain or some other condition where they are needed but it is still fairly bright inside the car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having the same problem. I read that if I have the headlights on and dim the dashboard lights that the Day Mode menu option would return. This does not work for me.

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
I'm having the same problem. I read that if I have the headlights on and dim the dashboard lights that the Day Mode menu option would return. This does not work for me.
Either make the setting change at night, or cover the sensor on the dash to simulate night.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts