• No

Votes: 19 27.1%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys quick question Are you happy with the MPG that you are getting on RAV4 Hybrids 2019-2020? Toyota claims 39/40/41 HW/Mixed/City, heck I am no where close to these numbers? How are you guys measuring/validating the MPG you are getting to begin with? And yes I can't fill up my tank either.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Just what we need, another thread on the same subjects and another poll. I wish there were moderators who would close threads whioch duplicate the subjects of prior threads and force messages about a specific subject into a single thread.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh I did not know there was one I can close this, let me find the other one. Thanks

·
Registered
472 Posts
Keep in mind that it's winter right now -- unless you live in the south it's likely the weather is having a significant impact on your fuel economy. All cars are affected to some extent (the EPA estimates a 12% drop at 20 F, and as much as 22% for short trips), but it's even worse for hybrids (30% drop ... 28 MPG for the RAV4!).

So, yeah, there's a lot of people who are disappointed. I was certainly surprised at how the weather impacted my fuel economy. Ask again in the spring and see what happens.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I got 28-29 MPG last winter with our 2016 XLE hybrid. This winter I am getting 35 MPG with my 2019 XSE. I was getting 40 MPG during the summer and most of my driving is highway. Yes I am very happy.

I keep track of it manually.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Look at it another way. I traded in a car that, in the winter got 20 mpg and in the summer 22 mpg. I'm averaging about 35 mpg (but it hasn't really gotten that cold for sustained periods in the Boston area yet). That means I'm using about 40% less gas than the old car. Would I rather get 40 mpg? SURE!!!! Do I want my old car back? Nope...

·
Registered
3 Posts
2020 XLE - I've been disappointed so far and I think there's an issue with my Hybrid system. I'm getting mpg MUCH lower than expected. I do all city driving on my commute to work, it was 19 degrees out this morning and I averaged 17.7mpg with an eco score of 83 so it's not my driving style. Eco heat was set to 64F. My first full tank only got me 260 miles until E.

I have an appointment Monday with the dealership.

·
Registered
309 Posts
2020 XLE - I've been disappointed so far and I think there's an issue with my Hybrid system. I'm getting mpg MUCH lower than expected. I do all city driving on my commute to work, it was 19 degrees out this morning and I averaged 17.7mpg with an eco score of 83 so it's not my driving style. Eco heat was set to 64F. My first full tank only got me 260 miles until E.

How long are your trips on average?

·
Registered
128 Posts
2020 XSE

So I "babied" the heck out of acceleration and driving for a full tank and tried to achieve the best MPG possible. Came out with 39.4 for the tank

If I'm driving normally, with every so often fast acceleration and highway speeds around 80, 36.0 is what I see for the whole tank.

Their numbers are achievable but you have to drive like a Grandma the whole time

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
472 Posts

Yeah, that seems .... absurd. I don't think I could get my MPG that low if I tried. Maybe if I put on offroad tires, cargo carrier on the roof, pulled a trailer up a hill, on a short trip in freezing cold weather, heat on full, and in sport mode always at full throttle? That might do it.

It sounds like the 17.7 was for a single trip, though. Most people talk about averages for a tank, since individual trips can vary too much to be meaningful. Assuming you used about 10.5 gallons (if your car acts like mine with the fuel tank problems) for your first tank, that means you averaged around 25 mpg. Still abnormally low, though.

·
Registered
805 Posts
And because of the variability of the fuel gauge, you can really only tell your MPG over several tanks. Mine varies perhaps 8 MPG with high followed by low. But the average is what I really look at.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yeah, that seems .... absurd. I don't think I could get my MPG that low if I tried. Maybe if I put on offroad tires, cargo carrier on the roof, pulled a trailer up a hill, on a short trip in freezing cold weather, heat on full, and in sport mode always at full throttle? That might do it.

It sounds like the 17.7 was for a single trip, though. Most people talk about averages for a tank, since individual trips can vary too much to be meaningful. Assuming you used about 10.5 gallons (if your car acts like mine with the fuel tank problems) for your first tank, that means you averaged around 25 mpg. Still abnormally low, though.
Today was definitely the lowest I've seen, it usually averages in the low 20s. My last tank average was 24.6mpg

·
Registered
47 Posts
Didn't someone once say " You can't change the laws of physics" [...Captain]. I'm getting about 5% better mileage than any car I have ever owned before; many of which were small, very small by US standards. Its also 10 to 15 % better than my previous diesel SUV and its about 50% better than an ordinary petrol engine SUV would be. So no complaints here. As a bonus it also drives in a responsive and glitch free way ideal for modern traffic conditions.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My wife is averaging 39.8 In mixed use driving. No snow where we live.

i drove across the United States in the fall in a different vehicle. I noticed a lot of variability in gas mileage from what appeared to be the gas. For example I ran across some 85 octane fuel.

·
Registered
123 Posts
My first tank of fuel on our 2020 H Limited was 34.4 from a mixture of city/interstate. It's been fairly cold here and I'm hopeful warm weather will bring a decent increase in mileage.
Bill

·
Registered
206 Posts
In CALIF. Days 60'f nights 40'f we get 42-43 MPG routinely without doing anything special. Ours is a 2019, basic model, no frills. I wonder if the more options you add your MPG goes down?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Oh and we don't "granny" it or hypermile it. My wife drives it 500 miles a week. She drives as fast as traffic allows. But a lot is CA congested. Rarely over 70 mph but usually over 55 mph. She just got 600 miles on a tank. I can get 700 miles when I do baby it. But I only have done that a couple of times.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts