Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Happy with MPG on Hybrid RAV4 2019 - 2020

• Yes

Votes: 66 75.9%
  • No

Votes: 21 24.1%

RAV4 hybrid 2019-2020 MPG Are you happy???

Tags
mpg
22K views 101 replies 53 participants last post by  Patrho 
#1 ·
Guys quick question Are you happy with the MPG that you are getting on RAV4 Hybrids 2019-2020? Toyota claims 39/40/41 HW/Mixed/City, heck I am no where close to these numbers? How are you guys measuring/validating the MPG you are getting to begin with? And yes I can't fill up my tank either.

#4 ·
Keep in mind that it's winter right now -- unless you live in the south it's likely the weather is having a significant impact on your fuel economy. All cars are affected to some extent (the EPA estimates a 12% drop at 20 F, and as much as 22% for short trips), but it's even worse for hybrids (30% drop ... 28 MPG for the RAV4!).

So, yeah, there's a lot of people who are disappointed. I was certainly surprised at how the weather impacted my fuel economy. Ask again in the spring and see what happens.

#5 ·
I got 28-29 MPG last winter with our 2016 XLE hybrid. This winter I am getting 35 MPG with my 2019 XSE. I was getting 40 MPG during the summer and most of my driving is highway. Yes I am very happy.

I keep track of it manually.

Reactions: Madconn
#7 ·
Look at it another way. I traded in a car that, in the winter got 20 mpg and in the summer 22 mpg. I'm averaging about 35 mpg (but it hasn't really gotten that cold for sustained periods in the Boston area yet). That means I'm using about 40% less gas than the old car. Would I rather get 40 mpg? SURE!!!! Do I want my old car back? Nope...

#8 ·
2020 XLE - I've been disappointed so far and I think there's an issue with my Hybrid system. I'm getting mpg MUCH lower than expected. I do all city driving on my commute to work, it was 19 degrees out this morning and I averaged 17.7mpg with an eco score of 83 so it's not my driving style. Eco heat was set to 64F. My first full tank only got me 260 miles until E.

I have an appointment Monday with the dealership.

#10 ·
2020 XSE

So I "babied" the heck out of acceleration and driving for a full tank and tried to achieve the best MPG possible. Came out with 39.4 for the tank

If I'm driving normally, with every so often fast acceleration and highway speeds around 80, 36.0 is what I see for the whole tank.

Their numbers are achievable but you have to drive like a Grandma the whole time

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

#15 ·
Didn't someone once say " You can't change the laws of physics" [...Captain]. I'm getting about 5% better mileage than any car I have ever owned before; many of which were small, very small by US standards. Its also 10 to 15 % better than my previous diesel SUV and its about 50% better than an ordinary petrol engine SUV would be. So no complaints here. As a bonus it also drives in a responsive and glitch free way ideal for modern traffic conditions.

#16 ·
My wife is averaging 39.8 In mixed use driving. No snow where we live.

i drove across the United States in the fall in a different vehicle. I noticed a lot of variability in gas mileage from what appeared to be the gas. For example I ran across some 85 octane fuel.

#20 ·
Oh and we don't "granny" it or hypermile it. My wife drives it 500 miles a week. She drives as fast as traffic allows. But a lot is CA congested. Rarely over 70 mph but usually over 55 mph. She just got 600 miles on a tank. I can get 700 miles when I do baby it. But I only have done that a couple of times.

#23 ·
I get total average of 33mpg after 600miles from 2020 Hybrid XLE, here in south SF Bay area with balanced mix of highway and city driving, while not driving any bit aggressive nor slow, just normal. It is still January and it is relatively cold here although not that much during the day. This mpg result is relative ok but disappointment compared to official EPA stated figures!

#27 ·
EPA doesn't test based on your subjective driving style either.

I know people that get 27mpg on their Prius' because of the way they drive. If you take it easy even in normal mode you can get 40mpg in the rav4. at the same time if you have your heater on and are pushing the car everywhere then your mpg can drop significantly.

I frequent open track days with my other car, maybe I should test out what MPG I would get taking my rav4 out on the track. Now theres an idea

#29 ·
I assume that the EPA uses a standard testing regime and does not alter it based on wether the car is a hybrid or whatever. This is what you would want them to do. Therefore, everything is relative on an even scale. You can get worse, same, or better MPGs than their testing in any car, depending on how you drive it.

Having said that, people have been complaining for years that the test set the EPA uses may not mimic the real world. For instance, taking into account that people use the heater on very cold days, take short trips on cold engines, etc. That is what people should be complaining about here, not about Toyota.

#33 ·
Where you live is only a general MPG influencer. I can live a mile away and have a significant hill to mount before I get to your area. I might also use the HVAC more or less than you. I may run in ECO mode while you run in Sport. I may have my tires inflated to 50, you 32. All are variables. And of course the weight of my foot on the gas pedal. How the MPG is being calculated too can influence MPG. Spreadsheet/fuelly over many tank fills? Or by the car's computer based on its sometimes faulty reading of how many gallons have been used in this fueling?

My first several tanks with summer temperatures and the tires inflated to 50 PSI from the factory (dealer delivery prep fail) were in the 42-40 MPG range even with most of the miles at 65-72 MPH. Since the winter and a reset of the tires to a more appropriate PSI, my MPG had dropped. But no matter, I view MPG only over many tank fills because of the erratic fuel fill. Some of my fills are obviously short fills resulting in high MPG being reported. But the very next fill will show a low because I really filled with more gas.

With my prior car, a Prius v hybrid, over about 7 years and 50k miles I slightly exceeded EPA figures in temperatures from 100F to 10F. With my Rav4h I'm achieving slightly less. Same mix of driving and PSI and foot pressure? No. Varies. None in favor of the Rav4h doing better.

#34 ·
2020 HV - Driving almost entirely in ECO mode and running heat - live in Detroit... mix of freeway and surface streets.

What's more concerning is the inability to put more than 10 gallons into the tank before first click - even when it's down to "15 miles til empty". Per instruction on the cap and in the manual, I stop at first click and do not top off so as to damage anything involved with that unit Brought this up to my sales guy last week and yesterday, he got back to me to tell me the service department has heard from Toyota and acknowledged the issue with the tank... will keep me updated once Toyota has a plan of action to fix.

#35 ·
Temperature significantly affects the fuel economy on the hybrid. Have had vehicle for 2.5 weeks. Has been very very cold since I've had the vehicle except for the last few days so I was averaging about 29-32MPG and I was greatly disappointed. Temperatures have warmed up significantly now (I'm talking +30 to +40 degrees celsius swing) and now I'm getting 38 MPG after starting off with about 30MPG for at least the first couple hundred kilometres on this current tank. EV mode has been kicking in a lot more now that the temperatures are warmer. Assuming the weather stays relatively warm, I'm guessing I can average 40MPG with ease next tank when I reset (and this is with winter tires).

#37 ·
We have been happy with it even during colder weather.

Mpg in the summer (50-80 F) was averaging 44 mpg with 85% highway driving (65-70 mph).

This dropped to 36-38 mpg with weather between 10 and 50 F. Same driving.

Last week we had -22 F weather (without wind chill) and I swapped cars with my wife to see how the rav handles the cold or if we'd get the errors others got. With 80% city driving and using the block heater, we got 26 to 30 mpg and no errors. Heated seats were used and interior temp setting was between 67 and 71.

Happy with those numbers as that -22 weather doesnt usually last very long and it still had decent fuel efficiency for the weather.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.