Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

RAV4 Hybrid engine from China

25K views 83 replies 28 participants last post by  WJBertrand 
#1 ·
Saw this on Toyota Nation forum, abut engine on the above is from China, or at least some of the engine content is from China. Nothing conclusive was reached.
Anyone aware of this?

See less See more
#6 ·
100% rumor here. It may only mean that the engine blocks are made in China, or some other engine parts. There's certainly no credible evidence one way or another.

I love how quickly things become facts just because someone posts something on a message board and it gets repeated a couple times.

#7 ·
I checked mine before buying, and mine clearly says engine is from Japan and engine parts is japan since I'm a very OcD about cars being built in japan, I can attest when I was buying my car, I saw some hybrid engines are indeed from China and some are from Japan. I ofcourse picked the Japanese made one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#12 ·
When I was looking to buy my car, I was upset when I first checked out the RAV4 hybrid the sticker showed this that the engine is from China, then I looked at another RAV4 hybrid, it clearly says Japan engine. So choose wisely cuz there are some Ravhybrids that engines are from China. Hope u don't choose that!!!

#14 ·
How can we know where the parts are made?

I'm a photographer and my recently made German digital cameras are engraved 'Made in Germany'... while we all know that much of the parts are Japanese, the body parts are assembled in Portugal, and the QC sucks.

#23 ·
I'm not concerned whether the engine in my Hybrid was made in Japan or China, it's not marked on the sticker and there was no label on the window when I first saw it, so it could be either. From my research the AR 2.5 engines may be made in the GAC Toyota plant in Guangzhou, China, if it's good enough for Toyota to put their name on it, I'm happy, I can't say the same for any of the GM products I've ever owned and driven, except for a 1940 Chevy coupe I paid $50 for when I was 17, I put 30k miles on it and the only problem I ever had was a flat tire.:D

#27 ·
I wouldn't mind whether Toyota builds its engines in China as long as responsible Toyota management and QA people are constantly on the facility floor to make certain that Toyota quality standards are adhered to, and also monitor the quality of parts which are made by other suppliers in China.

The Buick Enclave is to be made in China and imported and sold in the U.S. Hopefully Buick/GM people will pay strict attention to quality to prevent another of GM's legendary debacles from occurring.

#41 ·
After checking my 'window sticker' and reading all the labels I could find on my RAV I did not find any documentation about where my January, '15 bought non-hybrid XLE's engine/parts are from.

I wonder if all RAV4's manufactured in Japan from 2015 and later fall into the CH built engine category, or does it start with the 2015 model year?

#42 ·
The AALA reports don't specify model or production year, apparently just a report year. AFAIK the only way to determine where the engine was made is to see the label that the dealer apparently removed if it's not on the monroney sticker, my Hybrid was made in Jan '16, the content label is not part of the sticker, so either the transferring dealer or my dealer removed it and didn't provide it with the other docs and the sticker which they gave me when it was delivered.

Part 583 American Automobile Labeling Act (AALA) Reports | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)

#45 ·
My '15 XLE(bought 11/15, manu. 7/15 in Japan) didn't have that sticker or the info on the monroney sticker either, I'm tempted to contact Toyota and see what they say.

When I was doing research before buying I had read somewhere that some of the Rav4s made in Japan had the chinese engines but that none of those particular ones were sold in the US, however I doubt the AALA report would mention it if they weren't sold here at all.

#46 ·
#47 ·
And since the article is dated 2014 it appears that Toyota's then-announced intent about using more Chinese-made parts for hybrid vehicles in the following year (2015) now is in effect.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.