Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My four week old RAV4 Hybrid has died ! No life at all in the motor ! The garage (main dealer where I bought it) sent photos of an engine with a harness that has been eaten by mice !! I am waiting for a price to get it back on the road, and I'm expecting a huge estimate ! I've read that there have been similar problems with Toyotas,and that the harness these days compose mostly of soy, otherwise an invitation to any mice in the area to enter the engine to have a picnic!! I do not consider this situation to be my fault. Our Renault Traffic and VW Transporter have been parked in the same place for years and they have NOT been attacked by mice ! My insurance agent, who told me that every motor insurance policy in France has exclusions on animal/rodent damage, asked if the mice might have entered the engine at the garage ?! I can't prove that they did and I don't expect the garage can prove that they didn't ! Has anyone had a similar problem with a brand new Toyota ?

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
My niece's Honda has a mouse problem this year. She parks on a city street and drives everyday. The mice ate the cabin air filter and made a few nests. We don't know yet what other damage may have been caused. We glued two mouse traps down inside the engine compartment and set a couple more inside the the cabin. It is very important to get the mice out. Once they start urinating inside the car you may never be able to get the odor out. Do whatever it takes and good luck.

·
Registered
8,856 Posts
Quite a number of Toyota owners in North America have reported having rodent damage to vehicle wiring. Soy based insulation attracts rodents. There are suggestions about trying to prevent this on this forum - suggest using the Search Community function at the top of this page.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Not just Toyotas either.

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 hybrid XLE, Magnetic Grey metallic, cold weather package.
478 Posts
Just spray inside the engine compartment with peppermint. Repeat as needed. The mothballs work too but I prefer peppermint smell.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quite a number of Toyota owners in North America have reported having rodent damage to vehicle wiring. Soy based insulation attracts rodents. There are suggestions about trying to prevent this on this forum - suggest using the Search Community function at the top of this page.
thank you for your reply, I'm still waiting for an estimate ........

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am in the pest control industry, I started seeing these types of issues 10 or 15 years ago. When this first started happening it was on Mercedes cars. One customer had $8,000.00 worth of damage to her Prius.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I don't understand...why is it the problem for the vehicle owner to solve? If this has been an "industry-wide" problem, why aren't there steps taken by the manufacturers to prevent this? A recall should be issued.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I don't understand...why is it the problem for the vehicle owner to solve? If this has been an "industry-wide" problem, why aren't there steps taken by the manufacturers to prevent this? A recall should be issued.
case by case situation all depends on where owner park the car. should manufacturer be responsible for each owner's vehicles maintenance/up keeping? this where insurance comes in...in case shit happens depending on coverage. most people are too cheap to pay for additional coverage and complain when shit does happen.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
case by case situation all depends on where owner park the car. should manufacturer be responsible for each owner's vehicles maintenance/up keeping? this where insurance comes in...in case shit happens depending on coverage. most people are too cheap to pay for additional coverage and complain when shit does happen.
If you can get insurance cover wherever you are, think of us in France where NO insurance company covers for animal or rodent damage ! Paying for additional insurance is not the problem, it is NOT available here !

·
Registered
272 Posts
If you can get insurance cover wherever you are, think of us in France where NO insurance company covers for animal or rodent damage ! Paying for additional insurance is not the problem, it is NOT available here !
think outside the box. push off cliff stolen claim.

·
Registered
NC '19 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package
1,456 Posts
I am in the pest control industry, I started seeing these types of issues 10 or 15 years ago. When this first started happening it was on Mercedes cars. One customer had $8,000.00 worth of damage to her Prius.

Sometime price wiring harness replacement on any car. Parts alone can be really really expensive. Think $4k.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts