Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So many of us have seen quite a bit of the white stuff and was looking for feedback on how the new AWD-I system and the OEM tires have handled it. Russ gave a great run down on another thread but I wanted to solicit more feedback. If you know, please include what tires you are currently running. Thanks!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Factory Dunlops. 5-6 snow storms since purchase; absolutely no issues getting around on those and no noted issues with the AWD. Biggest test was yesterday when I knowingly drove down off the shoulder through ~6" of wet'ish snow and had no problems coming back up the incline through that same snow and onto the road; no slippage of the tires noted. Overall? Quite pleased with the performance...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Coming from a 4 runner I was a little worried initially since the 4Runner was on rails in the snow, and I wasn't too sure how the Rav4 was going to handle it, but, pretty awesome in the end. My commute is about 35km each way, in 6-18" slush and snow highway traffic and no issues climbing lanes, and no problem with inclines where others were spinning a bit. I am running Michelin X-Ice, and I was a little disappointed that I could not select full time AWD, but as I watched the image on the console, it seemed to deliver power nicely when needed...I have to overcome my reluctance and put the faith in engineering...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Coming from a 4 runner I was a little worried initially since the 4Runner was on rails in the snow, and I wasn't too sure how the Rav4 was going to handle it, but, pretty awesome in the end. My commute is about 35km each way, in 6-18" slush and snow highway traffic and no issues climbing lanes, and no problem with inclines where others were spinning a bit. I am running Michelin X-Ice, and I was a little disappointed that I could not select full time AWD, but as I watched the image on the console, it seemed to deliver power nicely when needed...I have to overcome my reluctance and put the faith in engineering...
Were you in Trail mode or just let it go on it's own?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Were you in Trail mode or just let it go on it's own?
I was switching back and forth between the Trail and Eco modes to see if I could feel any real traction difference, but there was no perceivable improvement in Trail, and I did not see AWD kicking in more, so I went back to ECO to restrict power a bit which should reduce wheel slippage...or thats what I was thinking at the time. I have a rain mode on my motorcycle so I went to that philosophy.

·
Registered
28 Posts
What Driving Mode is best for snow?
Normal Mode for most applications will be sufficient. If you are having trouble getting traction or you are stuck, put it in Trail Mode and turn off the TRAC system (i.e., disables vehicle stability control, traction control, etc). Once free, use Normal and turn TRAC back on.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I did tried all the modes - normal, eco, and trail. No real difference except normal mode had more pep obviously. No problem in near blizzard conditions. Only time it slipped was when I gunned it intentionally to see if the AWD system was actually working. It was. LOL

·
Registered
45 Posts
We live on a really steep road (in a town with lots of steep hills) that is usually plowed and sanded after storms pass through, and put snow tires on our cars. My appointment to mount my new snow tires was the day of the storm, so I had to postpone the appointment. We drove out the day the snow stopped (27" over 2 days) to find the plow had gotten stuck at the bottom and left about 6 inches!

I was very worried about getting back up with the stock all-season tires, but with the traction control turned off the Rav made it up! Not without a little drama, mind - I expect better performance with the new snow tires. Still, I was super pleased we didn't have to leave it at the bottom of the road with the Prius.

With the snow tires on the Rav has performed admirably - very stable and confident, and no drama. I have Blizzaks, and have been pleasantly surprised so far with the road noise - the Prius is always noticeably louder with snow tires on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts