Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I only ended up putting 4402 kms on my RAV4 le hybrid before I was rear ended by a tractor trailer on a bridge, launched 6 meters forward into another vehicle. I was alone in the car luckily, and nobody was hurt in the any cars. The emblem still attached to part of the trunk was all I was able to keep. I was a little bit sore the next day, but all things considered I was extremely impressed with how well the car crumpled.

Obviously I'd prefer a Japanese made version (prime) , but kudos to the people in Canada that built mine. Probably saved my life being in that RAV4.

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 hybrid XLE, Magnetic Grey metallic, cold weather package.
396 Posts
WOW, that sucks.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Good to hear that you got through it Ok. Kudos to the guys who designed the vehicle (Probably Japan). If you like the RAV4, go buy another.....

Years ago, I had a similar accident. My Porsche was squished by about 2 feet. I ended up in the hospital with whiplash and a minor concussion. Seat belts work...........

Good Luck.

·
Registered
8,723 Posts
There goes my stereotype of Canadian drivers including also truckers being safer than U.S. ones!:( In any event good to know that you and others weren't injured - that's testimony to the safety built into cars these days. Hope that insurance will completely pay for a new RAV4 for you. Let us know . . . .

·
Registered
2020 Toyota RAV4 AWD XLE Premium
13 Posts
Sorry to hear about your accident. I was rear ended a long time ago. Whiplash kicked in a day or two later. It can last a long time. I felt it for a couple years before it went away. A stiffness in the neck. I hope you do not get that. The person who did it took off.
Take care.

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 Limited FWD
88 Posts
I had my Sienna totaled a few years ago when I was rear ended while at a stop light. Three cars were totaled and there were no injuries. The next month of my life was consumed by dealing with insurance companies and finding a vehicle replacement. It’s no fun, but gratitude for no injuries goes a long way to get over it. It was, after all, just a chunk of metal. There are more important things in life. My 8 year old daughter was with me.

·
Registered
89 Posts
if you had a hitch installed would that save your car?
would having a hitch be more dengerous to the occupants of the vehicle?

·
Registered
626 Posts
^^^^ I was not that kind of an engineer, but it seems to me that you want the back end to crumple and accordion on you, just not excessively, to absorb as much of the kinetic energy as possible. A hitch would reduce the ability to absorb energy, since it would stiffen the rear end, and possibly head towards the rear passengers.

·
Registered
490 Posts
^^^^ I was not that kind of an engineer, but it seems to me that you want the back end to crumple and accordion on you, just not excessively, to absorb as much of the kinetic energy as possible. A hitch would reduce the ability to absorb energy, since it would stiffen the rear end, and possibly head towards the rear passengers.
Maybe get ripped off the unibody and pushed forward to puncture the gas tank or battery case.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Please see a doctor. You're describing a serious accident, and you want to protect yourself. Document anything now, because insurance companies are.... well you know. They have nice advertising but getting them to compensate you is pretty miserable. If there are any injuries, I'd contact an appropriate attorney.

·
Registered
181 Posts
It's Just Transportation.
They have a few more around to choose from.
There is NOTHING more important on this Earth than your Health.
Rest.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts