Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 RAV4 Hybrid with a navigation system. The system will not do automatic dimming like my $50 garmin and every other GPS system i have ever used will do. Dealer tells me this is not available on the hybrid. Does anyone else with a hybrid have this problem also?

·
Premium Member
7,941 Posts
It's actually listed as Day Mode, but can't be set during day if the headlight switch is Auto, to do so you must cover the light sensor on the left front dash next to the windshield, then the option is available for selection, it's covered in the navigation manual on the Screen Adjustment page, section 6 in the 2016 manual, might be on a different page for the 2017.

CHANGING BETWEEN DAY AND NIGHT MODE

Depending on the position of the headlight
switch, the screen changes to day
or night mode. This feature is available
when the headlight is switched on.

INFORMATION
If the screen is set to day mode with the
headlight switch turned on, this condition
is memorized even with the engine
<hybrid system> turned off.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Make sure the dash display brightness dial is not maxed out. You can scroll it to the max brightness and if you go a bit further it "clicks" into its fully maxed, locked position. When it is past that click point the displays will NOT dim at night, anything before that click and it should still dim.
That could be the issue.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
It's a scroll wheel on the left side dash behind the steering wheel. Next to the mirror adjustment.

·
Registered
218 Posts
The NAV screen does not dim with the scroll wheel. Once the screen is in 'Night' mode as per the sensor, the wheel on the dash has no effect on the brightness of the NAV screen. If you turn the wheel past the click, it will go into 'Day' mode.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
THANK YOU!!! I just picked up my car from the dealer who is trying to get documentation from Toyota saying that this option is not available on a hybrid - but when i got home and tried it it worked! that dial was stuck in the locked position - when it is off that position, the daymode option is available. Thank you all again for helping me solve this.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
THANK YOU!!! I just picked up my car from the dealer who is trying to get documentation from Toyota saying that this option is not available on a hybrid - but when i got home and tried it it worked! that dial was stuck in the locked position - when it is off that position, the daymode option is available. Thank you all again for helping me solve this.
LOL, let those nitwits at the dealer keep looking for an answer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts