Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a 2007 Rav4 Limited, a 2012 Prius V 5, and now drive a 2014 Avalon Hybrid Limited. I am looking at a new 2016 Rav4 Hybrid Limited. I haven't driven one yet because I hate the salesman game so I thought I'd ask here. I remember my 2007 Rav4 road noise level was deafening. The Prius V wasn't much better. The Avalon is so quiet it's eerie. I just wonder about the 2016 Rav4 Hybrid noise level. One reviewer on Cars.com said even though Toyota has beefed up their sound deadening the noise level was still the worst of the crossovers/mid-size SUVs. Any real life comments would be appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I can second RDGrimes comment, as my '16 RAV4 Hybrid is very smooth riding and quiet. I also have a 2011 RAV4 and the 2016 is noticeably quieter.

·
Registered
229 Posts
We do not drive our 2011 as much as we used to as the 2016 is so much more quiet and comfortable. Only thing I have not tested yet is driving in snow in our 2016. Our 2011 is amazing in snow so if the hybrid comes close that would be great. The hybrid snow test was impressive, but nothing like testing it out yourself.

·
Registered
423 Posts
My new RAV4 limited hybrid is very smooth and quiet. Very little road noise.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the honest answers. I need to man up and head to the dealer. I'll miss is the Avalon's real leather and seat cooling features. I remember the Prius had Softex vinyl and it got egg frying hot. :crying

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Thanks for the honest answers. I need to man up and head to the dealer. I'll miss is the Avalon's real leather and seat cooling features. I remember the Prius had Softex vinyl and it got egg frying hot. :crying
FWIW, Softex isn't vinyl or anything like it. Its also cooler than leather to some folks, and is virtually stain-proof. If you have kids or dogs you should be looking for Softex. Your Prius probably did get hot, but it was because its a fish-bowl not because of Softex.

·
Registered
22 Posts
No problems with road noise so far in my 2016 Hybrid Limited. Huge upgrade on that front from previous Corollas (2007, 2008, 2013), but maybe that's obvious. As for the seating, I got nutmeg color, so that could be a factor, but the seats are barely warm when I get in. In the 95 degree heat with the sun beating down (I park in an open lot with no tree cover), I consider that impressive. Plus, the AC cools the car down very quickly. I can't say it is perfect, but it is the closest to a luxury car I have ever had. It handles the basics like road noise and non-frying pan seats pretty well :)

As for the "smooth" ride, I will give it a 7/10. I have driven enough Buicks and expensive pick-up trucks to know that Toyota could bump up the shock game on these things. Still, it's rather comfortable and hasn't caused me to bump my head when hitting potholes.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the noise level in a rav4 hybrid. From what I'm used to its very quiet. My previous ride was a 2010 mercedes ML350 bluetec. Engine and related engine noise is MUCH quieter. For intance i cant say i even noticed any sound ever coming from the rav4 hybrids radiator fan. Does it even ever run?? In the mercedes at times it would seem like the rad fan was confusing the car for a propeller on a plane (ok a slight exaggeration, but you get the point. i definitely heard it running in the mercedes but can't hear that in the rav4). Road noise, wind, tire, etc. I would also say is less since there is less competing noise, those would stand out more if the sound insulation was poor.

·
Registered
57 Posts
This is my first RAV, it replaced a Ford Focus Titanium. The ride is much smoother and the sound level is much quieter than that vehicle was, I've had several passengers even comment on how nice of a ride it is, even at 90mph. Well that's just some rumor I heard. >:D

·
Member-RAV4 ReGeneration
264 Posts
I just finished a 2600+ mile, round trip from Bellevue, Washington, to Ft. Collins, Colorado, and got to see how the RAV4 Hybrid handled a number of different situations, including mountains and agressive truckers. I went through Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Utah, Wyoming, and Colorado. I found the road noise level was profoundly affected by pavement type, but generally, it was good, considering I drove between 80 and 85 mph, for most of the trip. I was able to listen to podcasts and music, and carry on a conversation, with no problem. I also believe tires play a pretty big role in what road noise you hear. Compared to my 2009 Prius, much, much quieter.
I was very impressed at how easily the RAV4 Hybrid handled the mountains. I drove in regular guy mode, with the AC on (75), the entire trip, and always had endless power. Living in Washington State, I forgot how miserable the bugs splats were, but fortunately, avoided any flying rocks, and chipped windshields. The RAV4 Hybrid ran perfectly, the entire time. My mileage, for the trip was right at 30 mpg. I know I could have done better, but I am fine with that figure. Gas prices were the lowest in Wyoming ($2.29). This was also my first time going over the pass, in my RAV, and I was glad to have the extra power, to be able get the hell out of the way, of some really aggressive drivers.
In making this trip, I came to the conclusion, I really wish the power steering, provided less assistance, and more road feel. I think it is just too easy to turn the wheel, and wish it could be adjusted.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts