Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am looking at purchasing a 2023 Rav 4 xle premium. Have you been able to bargain the dealers down from MRSP prices. The dealers in California do not seem to be doing much bargaining and on top of that are charging 5-6 thousand dollars in dealer markup . I am curious as to what you all have experienced at dealerships. Thank you for your honesty.

· Registered
2020 RAV4 XLE Hybrid
345 Posts
In the current market, I would not expect to be able to get them to go under MSRP. As far as markup though, I would never pay it and the market is getting to the point that they are going to start realizing soon that they can't do a markup and expect to be selling them as fast.

· Registered
2021 RAV4 XLE Premium Hybrid
1,982 Posts
Hello, I am looking at purchasing a 2023 Rav 4 xle premium. Have you been able to bargain the dealers down from MRSP prices. The dealers in California do not seem to be doing much bargaining and on top of that are charging 5-6 thousand dollars in dealer markup . I am curious as to what you all have experienced at dealerships. Thank you for your honesty.
California dealers are one of the worst in the country. Try another state.

Here are my recent buying experience at my local dealer in Utah:

- 2018 4Runner MSRP minus $2000 Costco discount
-2021 RAV4 MSRP minus $750 Costco discount
--2022 Prius MSRP

· Registered
9 Posts
If you are in Southern CA, to save you time, see my posting in:
Latest R4P/pp purchaser through Longo | Toyota RAV4 Forums (rav4world.com)

With Toyota continues to face resources shortage like all auto manufactures, resulting in periodic shut down in productions, Toyota OEM dealers (particularly in CA) are out selling their high demand vehicle allotments.

You can check with Longo in Southern CA. While you may not be able to lower the price below MSRP, but unlike the other dealers, vehicles at Longo are offered at MSRP without adding those useless dealer installed paint protection, security protection, extended warranty protection packages, etc.
New & Used Toyota Dealer in El Monte, CA | Longo Toyota

Best of luck to you.

· Registered
12 Posts
Alot of signs in the US of the car market going down in the near future. Too many variables to list here as to why.

"LuckeyLopez" you tube guy, has some good info on current situation. Or just search 2022 car market for a plethora of videos about it.

· Registered
NC '19 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package
2,386 Posts
Read an article today that said that Toyota was not producing Rav4s and one other model in the month of December. So while financing has gotten expensive and dealers desperate for profits, I'm seeing lots of predictions that say opposite things.

· Registered
5 Posts
Read an article today that said that Toyota was not producing Rav4s and one other model in the month of December. So while financing has gotten expensive and dealers desperate for profits, I'm seeing lots of predictions that say opposite things.
Is it possible to post a link to the article? Thanks.

Never mind. I think it's this one. Note that the suspension is only shown for the Japanese plant and I believe it's only 2 days.
December Production Plan | Corporate | Global Newsroom | Toyota Motor Corporation Official Global Website

· Registered
1,982 Posts
Alot of signs in the US of the car market going down in the near future. Too many variables to list here as to why.
A new wrinkle. There is a looming rail strike in early December. Not only do railroads carry parts and raw materials to car factories, a significant amount of new cars start their journey from factories (or port of entry) by rail. Yes, the car manufacturers could change to trucks, but the article I read said it would take more than 400,000 more trucks to carry what the railroads now carry. A rail strike looms, impact on US economy could be broad

· Registered
344 Posts
I know in Vermont, my RAV 4 Hybrid LE came by truck , from Georgetown, Kentucky. Or so the dealer told me.
Highlander Hybrids (and gas versions?) , on the other hand, come by rail from Princeton, Indiana. Dealers can track where a car is on the rail system.
I have a Hybrid Highlander LE coming, somewhere on a train, built on Nov 17th..

· Registered
48 Posts
Upstate New York in May, one nearby dealer was marking above MSRP. I used another dealer who had a policy of not marking up. This is a small area, and word of mouth means something here. If you are in San Francisco, you are in a tough market for a buyer. Look out of town, out of the Bay Area, maybe out of state.

· Registered
62 Posts
I searched several dealers when shopping for my 2022 RAV4 XLE hybrid and Longo in El Monte was the only dealership I found that sold at MSRP. I put a $500 refundable deposit in January and took delivery in July. The only XLEs they were getting were the Premium edition and I ended up getting one when a buyer cancelled his order once the vehicle had arrived. The market is such that you take the vehicle that’s closest to the configuration you ordered and will likely have to pay for the upgrades the car comes with even if you don’t really want them. In my case the car had black emblems, a chrome tailpipe and roof racks that added about $550 to the cost for things I wouldn’t have ordered. It appears the waitlists for hybrids could be 9-16 months at this point. It’s pretty discouraging unfortunately.

· Registered
2015 Prius
10 Posts
Also the dealers by me specifically said they would not accept orders from out of area. In fact i just had a dealer 20 minutes from me in Pennsylvania tell me they can’t sell me a new vehicle because i am in NJ. WTF?

· Registered
344 Posts
I've got a dealer selling me a hybrid out of New York State. I'm next door in Vermont. Car has been built, could be delivered this week?
I will probebly have to get a Transit tag, to drive the car back to Vermont. I have done this twice, buying a car in New York State, then register (and pay VT sales tax ) with the car back in Vermont.

· Registered
1,982 Posts
I've got a dealer selling me a hybrid out of New York State. I'm next door in Vermont. Car has been built, could be delivered this week?
I will probebly have to get a Transit tag, to drive the car back to Vermont. I have done this twice, buying a car in New York State, then register (and pay VT sales tax ) with the car back in Vermont.
My son did a similar thing just a week ago. He lives in California where all the dealers charge (way) over MSRP, so we ordered an new Prius from my local dealer here in Utah, only paying MSRP. Utah dealers can issue a temporary tag that is good for 90 days until the permanent registration is done in the home state.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts