Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to understand why everyone keeps saying that 2017 Rav4 XLE "HYBRID" is only $700 more than 2017 Rav4 XLE "non-hybrid"?
On Toyota's website, 2017 XLE Hybrid they have MSRP difference of $3.5k (vs non-AWD XLE Gas) and $2k (vs AWD XLE Gas).

Taking Toyota current $2.5K cashback for XLE Gas into consideration versus the $3k cashback for Hybrid, the difference is still $1.5k for AWD models (hybrid vs non-hybrid).

·
Registered
236 Posts
The difference between the XLE AWD and the Hybrid XLE is that in order to really "compare apples to apples", you need to spec the Power Plus options Package on the XLE AWD. Otherwise the Hybrid XLE has a slightly larger feature set that you're really paying for. If you make that selection you should find that the MSRPs look about like this (at least it's how they appear when I go to Toyota's site and "build" a new RAV4):

XLE Hybrid: $29,030
XLE AWD: $28,205

OK, so it's closer to $800. But the $700 isn't "fake news"... When the Hybrid first came out in 2016 the price differential really was right around $700. And in any event, the difference between $700 and $800 on a $30k car isn't all that noteworthy. There may just be different rounding errors you're seeing wherever it is you're reading about them.

·
Registered
236 Posts
If they're offering that additional $500 off the Hybrid in your area, I'd definitely go for it assuming you're considering an XLE AWD w/ Power Plus package vs the Hybrid. You'll make that extra $300 back in gas savings in a very short time!!! Hybrid RAV4s seem to (anecdotally) be getting an average of 10mpg better overall than their non-hybrid counterparts regardless of trim level.

If you're looking at the 2WD XLE without any additional options, then the price differential is obviously a bit higher and if you're on a budget it could be a different consideration...

·
Registered
138 Posts
I agree. Its not fake news, but like things are always said, you got to read the fine print. In this case, its not the fine print, it just doesn't appear as it looks. So say you want a RAV4 Hybrid, and you go in and tell the sales person that you want the RAV4 XLE with the $700 Hybrid option. No that will not happen. There other options that need to be added on before you can get the hybrid option, including All wheel Drive.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm.... that makes more sense. All the review videos kept throwing this $700 difference number without explaining the details.

Thanks to all for replying.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hmm.... that makes more sense. All the review videos kept throwing this $700 difference number without explaining the details.

Thanks to all for replying.
Typical marketing. They can make things look really good, even if it doesn't apply to you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts