Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am new here, first time posting..all I did was read, read and read...I am thinking of getting a Rav4 Hybrid..I see that the SE trim is $3000 over the XLE, is it worth to pay extra $3000 for the SE?

I do not use the moon roof, wish I have the choice of tech package in exchange for the moon roof. (wishful thinking). I am also considering the CRV EX trim.

Please give me some insight which is better overall best bang for your buck.

Thanks..

·
Registered
197 Posts
Do you like leather? Myself I hate leather and much prefer cloth as it breathes better and I sweat alot. For me it was a no brainer. 2016 XLE. I still get my sunroof and push start and dual zone climate control without having to pay the 3k for leather. I think the only difference is led head/taillights, leather, and a couple other small things.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Do you like leather? Myself I hate leather and much prefer cloth as it breathes better and I sweat alot. For me it was a no brainer. 2016 XLE. I still get my sunroof and push start and dual zone climate control without having to pay the 3k for leather. I think the only difference is led head/taillights, leather, and a couple other small things.
SE is sportier (sport suspension?) and cannot tow.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all your reply...

I prefer cloth, coz I will be putting seat covers, I think the softex is not real leather, and the 8 adjustable seat is nice, I prefer manual adjustment..motorized get messed up after the warranty in my experience.

Does the xle have push start? I do not need the paddle shifter, I thought it would only be useful if you have stick.

So now I am narrowing it between Rav4 XLE and CRV EX. I know it's apple (Hybrid) and Orange(Reg. Engine with Turbo), but these are my 2 choices....

I will be retiring soon...so mostly city driving. I am torn between Rav4 Hybrid, good mpg for city driving and the new CRV Ex, which seems to have more option, specially the apple/android play. I still can't decide.

·
Registered
248 Posts

I will be retiring soon...so mostly city driving. I am torn between Rav4 Hybrid, good mpg for city driving and the new CRV Ex, which seems to have more option, specially the apple/android play. I still can't decide.
My only comment comes from your statement that you will be doing mostly city driving. Have you spent time driving both vehicles? My experience with small displacement turbos in reasonably heavy vehicles is that they can be very difficult to drive smoothly in low speed traffic. The small turbo vehicles have so little torque when off boost that the throttle tends to behave like an off/switch. I have had this experience twice in vehicles that were rented for a week at a time. I don't know that the new CRV engine has this issue but it seems to be becoming a more common experience as manufacturer's move to these little turbos to milk the last half mpg out of their EPA ratings. Somewhat larger, non-boosted engines tend to be easier to drive smoothly IMHO.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My only comment comes from your statement that you will be doing mostly city driving. Have you spent time driving both vehicles? My experience with small displacement turbos in reasonably heavy vehicles is that they can be very difficult to drive smoothly in low speed traffic. The small turbo vehicles have so little torque when off boost that the throttle tends to behave like an off/switch. I have had this experience twice in vehicles that were rented for a week at a time. I don't know that the new CRV engine has this issue but it seems to be becoming a more common experience as manufacturer's move to these little turbos to milk the last half mpg out of their EPA ratings. Somewhat larger, non-boosted engines tend to be easier to drive smoothly IMHO.
Thanks GerryL,

Unfortunately, I haven't test drive either vehicle, still researching ..I think I need to rent each for the weekend to really find out.

Crv has less mpg in the city, reviews I saw on youtube, real world city/hwy averaging only 25, so city driving probably 22 mpg....yikkes..almost 11 mpg difference. but roominess and looks inside seem to be more updated than the Rav4.

I live in so. cal, I can't find any 2017 rav4 hybrid and crv for rent...wow..this is a dilemma..

·
Registered
216 Posts
Thanks GerryL,

Unfortunately, I haven't test drive either vehicle, still researching ..I think I need to rent each for the weekend to really find out.

Crv has less mpg in the city, reviews I saw on youtube, real world city/hwy averaging only 25, so city driving probably 22 mpg....yikkes..almost 11 mpg difference. but roominess and looks inside seem to be more updated than the Rav4.
IMO, if you are looking for great MPG, go for RAH4 Hybrid. If you want better performance and more tech features, CRV might be a better choice.

All Hybrids got the "start/stop" button.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Thanks GerryL,

Unfortunately, I haven't test drive either vehicle, still researching ...

I live in so. cal, I can't find any 2017 rav4 hybrid and crv for rent...wow..this is a dilemma..
So take a long test drive, 30-60 minutes, not just a 5 minute drive around the block. Just let the sales person know you won't be back in 5-10 minutes.

Btw, although my wife and I both prefer leather, the faux-leather in her Limited does not breathe at all and has no texture. This results in sweaty backsides during long drives in warm weather unless you have the AC set quite low.

·
Registered
45 Posts

I prefer cloth, coz I will be putting seat covers, I think the softex is not real leather, and the 8 adjustable seat is nice, I prefer manual adjustment..motorized get messed up after the warranty in my experience.

Does the xle have push start? I do not need the paddle shifter, I thought it would only be useful if you have stick.

So now I am narrowing it between Rav4 XLE and CRV EX. I know it's apple (Hybrid) and Orange(Reg. Engine with Turbo), but these are my 2 choices....

I just purchased a XLE hybrid, the options i like the most about it are:

Push to start
power tail gate
blind sport sensors (Lovely in multi lane traffic!)
And it was available in blue ;) (My daughter's favorite color, i'm not fussy)

All in all, I think it has all the bells and whistle I could hope for, I would never go for leather because it's also a dogbus!

·
Registered
197 Posts
I love my 2016 xle hybrid. Fantastic suv in alot of forms. The only two things I HATE are no android auto and the power lift gate. The stereo and if you go with navi(I did) are pretty bad. I use my phone for all my navigation now. Just better. So I wasted 600 on the included navi. If car play is a must then I hate to say it but ignore toyota. The power lift gate is slow. I just prefer no motor. Otherwise I LOVE my rav. It looks better than the crv imo. More manly I suppose. I just wish I could get android auto on my dash screen. one day I might install an aftermarket deck we will see.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I finally pulled the trigger..got the XLE trim , option added were entune with navigation, Height Adjustable Power Liftgate, all weather cargo package and cross bar.

Attachments

·
Member-RAV4 ReGeneration
264 Posts
Congratulations. I like the color, and hope you enjoy it.

Reactions: r3j0p

·
Registered
3 Posts
What did the additional Power Liftgate cost you? I recently purchased an XLE without the liftgate, and it is one feature i would like.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Congrats, silver looks sharp! I've got an XLE '16, dark gray, and am very happy overall. Should be super dependable for years to come.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What did the additional Power Liftgate cost you? I recently purchased an XLE without the liftgate, and it is one feature i would like.

I do not know, I negotiated it with out of the door price,,I really did not want that option, but it came from the factory..no choice. I don't know if I paid too much for my car...

Below is the numbers on the sales contract:

Total price out of the door: $30,893.81 ( after $1500.00 cash back)
Theft deterrent by dealer ( *395.00)-Option
Sales Tax (2579.06)
Transfer charge ( 29.00)
License & fees ( 310.75)
Cost with dealer installed option $27,975.00 -$960.00 (destination charge)=$27,015.00

*Note: destination charge does not show on the sales contract..I am not sure if I should deduct it.
but the car came with entune w/navigation, power lift gate, all weather package and cross bar.
Sticker showed $31,484.00

I hope I enjoy this car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Im from ontario canada, got the 2017 rav4 LE+ hybrid.. i did not choose the xle package, i dont care about power lift rear door power sunroof etc... the price of the rav4 LE+ in here was CAD 36,500.... was this a good price? Almost CAD40,000 INCLUDING tax, freight from japan, warranty, rust protection tinted windows, road emergency call rescue, maintenance and others...

·
Member-RAV4 ReGeneration
264 Posts
Im from ontario canada, got the 2017 rav4 LE+ hybrid.. i did not choose the xle package, i dont care about power lift rear door power sunroof etc... the price of the rav4 LE+ in here was CAD 36,500.... was this a good price? Almost CAD40,000 INCLUDING tax, freight from japan, warranty, rust protection tinted windows, road emergency call rescue, maintenance and others...
Congratulations on your new RAV4H. I hope you enjoy it. If you enjoy the vehicle, and enjoy driving it, what you paid was the right price.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Current XE rate is 1USD to 1.33 CAD. 36,500CAD converts to US$27,527. MSRP here is US$34,990 for the LE Hybrid. It would be a great deal to pay US$30k before tax and fees. Your OTD price is just over US$30k. You got a sweet deal.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts