Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I thought I'd post this in case others have the same problem. And a few other "observations".

Background

Before describing the main problem, I think it worthwhile explaining what I now own. It's a UK spec RAV4 Hybrid Business Edition Plus. This is roughly the same as the North America spec XLE, from what I gather. It's a 2WD model - the 4WD isn't popular in the UK as we don't need it much, if ever. Interestingly, the Start button on RHD models is near the mirror controls and not on the faux leather near the AirCon controls. My car was made in November 2016 and I took delivery just after New Year. Some of the original spec (the spec I actually ordered back in September) seemed slightly different from what I received, specifically the Blind Spot Monitor has been deleted from the whole range apart from the Elite model (=Platinum). Also, the self-levelling headlights have been deleted and we now have a manual control. The LED headlights are also 4000K in the UK, not the 5000K ones in NA. Which is odd since a large portion of NA has snow and 5000K would "white-out" more than 4000K... None of these are big issues, just weird.

The UK BE+ has a very decent 8" Touch 2 Go SatNav Entertainment system which appears to be way superior to the EnTune thing the NA models get. I've been on YTube... we win.

From a performance perspective, after 6 weeks and 2400 miles, I'm averaging 44 mpg (imperial, 37mpg US) of very mixed driving. 18 miles of commute in each direction in lumpy country and town driving can achieve 50+ driving with care. A run to Belgium (210 miles) at 70 - 75mph was 40 mpg, just.

The Problem

Anyway, the problem. It took me a couple of weeks to be able to drive the car above 60 mph - no opportunity. And then I did. What a disaster - the car shook badly at 60 and got worse up to 75. I had to drive at sub-60 to preserve my teeth and the car's suspension.

Booked it in to the nearest Dealer and they pharted around with it for an hour or so and said they couldn't find any issues with the suspension or tyres. I took the service mangler out for a run and he struggled to feel the problem. It wasn't an ideal run as traffic precluded most opportunities to run the speed up.

I took the car to an independent tyre place and they balanced 3 of the wheels - one was 0/0 and the other 3 were around 5/15 grams out. They did this on a Hunter road-force balancer and claimed the RHF tyre was only just passable. I paid and left, the ride home was no better. In an attempt to try something else, I asked another local guy to swap front to rear. No change. Still like driving over a rumble strip at speed.

I contacted Toyota GB and opened a case. The nearest dealer phoned me immediately to have another look. They had it all day and still claimed nothing could be found and their "master technician" had driven the car and couldn't fault it.

I was pretty convinced that one or more of the tyres was duff. I suggested to the dealer that if I bought a set of new tyres they fit them at cost, they agreed and they just did that. Guess what? Smooth at ALL speeds now.

So - the OEM tyres were Yokohama Geolandar G91AV M+S 225/65 R17s, with manufacture dates of week 41 and 42 of 2016.

The dealer spoke to Toyota GB again and they refuse to replace the tyres. Apparently they aren't covered by the warranty; I didn't realise that tyres weren't part of the car... So, they're going back to Yokohama via a distributor. I should know something (not sure what) in 28 days time. In the meantime, someone has 4 nearly new tyres of mine and I've just shelled out a lot of my own money - for reference, the tyres now fitted are Avon ZX7s, which won't mean much stateside (Avon are owned by Cooper Tires). For anyone in the EU - the Avons are flipping good.

So I now have a car I can drive at whatever speed I like without vibration. I'm now liking (not loving) the car instead of loathing it... progress.

If you have a similar problem, those tyres could be suspect if the same make. Other problem tyre brands may be available....!

One other thing that bugs me - like most RAV4s of the past 4 years, the wiper stalk vibrates sometimes. You can flick the stalk to make it rattle yourself. Buzzy cheap thing.

To be continued?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Welcome. Glad they got you squared away. After reading the long pre-issue details, I was not expecting to see a tire problem. Hard to fault Toyota for a Yokohama issue. They can be difficult to diagnose and prove sometimes.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I replace OEM tires right away on all new cars, its part of buying the car. Like it or not the OEM tires are crap. If you're lucky you might get 4 decent ones, but odds are against it. No sense griping about it. Get good tires that are quieter, have better grip and likely better MPG too. Your baby needs new shoes.

·
Member-RAV4 ReGeneration
264 Posts
Very interesting. I too, had the Yokohama Geolandar tires, and did not like them. I did not have the vibrations, you experienced, but they were not satisfactory, as far as I was concerned. I replaced my tires with the Continental, very shortly, and the ride and handling was much improved. I have never needed to replace OEM tires on a brand new vehicle before. I am glad I did, but you shouldn't have to, especially for a vehicle in this category.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I too have the Yokohama Geolandar G91AV M+S 225/65 R17s, but I have had quite the opposite experience. They have been pretty good so far and I have gotten 30,000 plus miles out of them so far. I would say they did a great job balancing the tires as they have been pretty smooth for me. I do a lot of driving and based on the specs I was not expecting much life out of them, but my next tires will be Michelins for sure. I looked the tires up and I was surprised that the Yokohama Geolandar G91AV are so expensive at $183 per tire on Tirerack. I would not pay that much for them. Still, I plan to ride them out and get rid of them before next winter.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Radials in this size range can be "lumpy" and all the balancing won't help them. It's sometimes called "runout", but it boils down to either being out of round or having a lump under the tread layer or in the sidewall. Or, they don't run out straight and wobble a little. There are specs for all this, but some tires are at the extreme of the spec. range.
Its just one more lottery you get entered into when you buy a car.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Sometimes even perfect tires which is 100% balanced will give you vibrations.

I had one car where the only way of getting no vibrations was to torque each bolt in an incremental pattern like;

(5 bolts, 120nm spec)

Any other attempt including trying to go for 120nm in a "star-pattern" gave vibrations.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Sorry you're having issues.

None thus far with my 2017 Limited Hybrid.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry you're having issues.

None thus far with my 2017 Limited Hybrid.
I'm not now. Just the crap OEM Yoko tyres they fitted. The new tyres are chalk and cheese.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1 - 10 of 10 Posts