Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I ordered a RAV4 hybrid XLE in Metro Vancouver by the end of August 2021 and have not received the car yet (6 months of wait time so far). The dealer gives me mixed and wrong information all the time. The car was supposed to be here by October, then November, then December, then January, and here is February with no updates. The dealer says the car is in production and I have asked for VIN and ETA but the dealer keeps saying the VIN will be available once the car is ready to be shipped and we cannot give you any ETA at this time.

I called Toyota Canada - Customer service and they refused to give me any information. The customer service agent just read something from a paper saying these are the problems in the market and and asked me to contact the dealer instead. The dealership does not take any responsibility as well and my sales agent at the dealership suggested me to write an official complaint to Toyota Canada.

I understand there are several issues in the market such as chip shortages and logistic issues but it has been very frustrating waiting this long with no reliable information and updates. I was wondering if anyone has placed an order for a RAV4 Hybrid around the time as I did and has actually got the car?

Do you think writing an official complaint would help? if yes, then whom should I contact exactly? I would appreciate any recommendations here.

Cheers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm not sure in BC but in Ontario it seems to be 1-4 months from what I'm seeing. The problem right now is the lines got shut down again because of the truckers protest at the bridge between USA/Canada. The ETA's have been so up and down and it's extremely hard for the dealer to know exactly when it's coming. The vin only gets released to dealers after the factory builds the vehicle and releases it to the trucking company.

Writing a official complaint to Toyota in my opinion is a waste of time. Toyota Canada will communicate with the dealer but in the end the dealer can't speed anything up.

What model of Hybrid did you purchase?

·
Registered
3 Posts
@HGH Considering you've been getting the run around from your dealer and customer service I believe an official complaint is in order. I understand delays in the production line being a thing right now but there is no excuse for a lack of customer service.

@TSPRO Curious where you are getting this 1-4 month estimate from, I ordered from DVN Toyota (largest dealership in Canada) this Jan and got 6 months for a 22' XLE hybrid.

·
Registered
2 Posts
@jjj Orders I have submitted for my customers. Those are the current ETA's we have been experiencing. Longest one I had for a customer was 5 months. Now with that being said DVN will have a massive amount of back orders and is probably why you have been waiting so long.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not sure in BC but in Ontario it seems to be 1-4 months from what I'm seeing. The problem right now is the lines got shut down again because of the truckers protest at the bridge between USA/Canada. The ETA's have been so up and down and it's extremely hard for the dealer to know exactly when it's coming. The vin only gets released to dealers after the factory builds the vehicle and releases it to the trucking company.

Writing a official complaint to Toyota in my opinion is a waste of time. Toyota Canada will communicate with the dealer but in the end the dealer can't speed anything up.

XLE Trim.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have been doing my due diligence with other dealers in Metro Vancouver and most of them say 6-8 months of wait time for Hybrid models. One of them mentioned 12 months. But they all follow up by saying if there is no shut downs.

My dealer says gas models are coming but Hybrid models have got stuck in the production line.

I called Toyota Canada-Customer Service again. They read to me all the issues in the market again and bounced me back to the dealer for more info. I have written to "[email protected]" as well but no response yet. I don't know where else or who else to contact.

·
Registered
24 Posts

Writing a official complaint to Toyota in my opinion is a waste of time. Toyota Canada will communicate with the dealer but in the end the dealer can't speed anything u
@jjj Orders I have submitted for my customers. Those are the current ETA's we have been experiencing. Longest one I had for a customer was 5 months. Now with that being said DVN will have a massive amount of back orders and is probably why you have been waiting so long.
I ordered hybrid XLE with Thornhill Toyota in GTA Ontario on December 6. I was told to wait 4-6 months at the time of ordering. So far my dealership hasn’t given me any update, except that my order had been submitted to Toyota Canada.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have been doing my due diligence with other dealers in Metro Vancouver and most of them say 6-8 months of wait time for Hybrid models. One of them mentioned 12 months. But they all follow up by saying if there is no shut downs.

My dealer says gas models are coming but Hybrid models have got stuck in the production line.

I called Toyota Canada-Customer Service again. They read to me all the issues in the market again and bounced me back to the dealer for more info. I have written to "[email protected]" as well but no response yet. I don't know where else or who else to contact.

If your dealer is actually being misleading or unreasonable (covid/supply issues taken into account) I see reasonable responses from Toyota Canada inc. for BBB complaints so maybe try this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the exact same experience. Ordered a 2021 RAV4 hybrid limited by the beginning of August 2021 (Vancouver Dealership).

It was supposed to be here November, then no ETA.
Called again in January and they told me March/April.

The thing I hate is that they can’t be bothered to update me on any developments. I pay a deposit to reserve the car, and I have to be calling to get any type of information. And even then it is pretty vague.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I ordered a Limited hybrid late Aug. I was first told 4 mos but it was just a guesstimate. I’m in touch with dealership monthly. No news yet about it being in production. They can’t foresee all these slowdowns that have been happening. I hope to hear something in the next month 🤞about it going into production. I’m in the GVRD. Ordered in New West.

·
Registered
69 Posts

Am totally riding the same boat as you are... we had a delivery date and traded in our vehicle with expectations of vehicle within a few days... that was now 3 months ago... Toyota read the script to me as well. Dealership has apparently complained to TC as well. TC has locked in my original cost and rates based on our '21 model and agreement. I've heard that no one is getting price protection but I have a signed document stating I will.

Plus to the commoner out there, there is no chip shortage persay. Manufacturers under ordered thinking the pandemic would reduce demand when in fact it actually increased. Manufacturers have been trying to catch up ever since. Chip manufacturers production never dropped, but instead spread into other industries (see gpus for computers). The chip shortage is due to their reduced order and is in fact their own faults.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi folks,

I ordered a RAV4 hybrid XLE in Metro Vancouver by the end of August 2021 and have not received the car yet (6 months of wait time so far). The dealer gives me mixed and wrong information all the time. The car was supposed to be here by October, then November, then December, then January, and here is February with no updates. The dealer says the car is in production and I have asked for VIN and ETA but the dealer keeps saying the VIN will be available once the car is ready to be shipped and we cannot give you any ETA at this time.

I called Toyota Canada - Customer service and they refused to give me any information. The customer service agent just read something from a paper saying these are the problems in the market and and asked me to contact the dealer instead. The dealership does not take any responsibility as well and my sales agent at the dealership suggested me to write an official complaint to Toyota Canada.

I understand there are several issues in the market such as chip shortages and logistic issues but it has been very frustrating waiting this long with no reliable information and updates. I was wondering if anyone has placed an order for a RAV4 Hybrid around the time as I did and has actually got the car?

Do you think writing an official complaint would help? if yes, then whom should I contact exactly? I would appreciate any recommendations here.

Cheers.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am in a similar situation. I made a deposit in July 2021 for the 2021 Rav4 XLE hybrid, I was told it will come in November. Then in November, the dealership said Toyota will give me the 2022 model rather, and it will come in December. I haven't received the car yet, and i don't know when i will be receiving it.

I thought maybe i should just go and ask for a refund of the deposit. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
217 Posts
I am in a similar situation. I made a deposit in July 2021 for the 2021 Rav4 XLE hybrid, I was told it will come in November. Then in November, the dealership said Toyota will give me the 2022 model rather, and it will come in December. I haven't received the car yet, and i don't know when i will be receiving it.

I thought maybe i should just go and ask for a refund of the deposit. What do you guys think?
Ask for your deposit back and do what? Personally, I’m waiting. When it comes it comes. Yes it’s very frustrating but I don’t see anything changing for this year anyway.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have the exact same experience. Ordered a 2021 RAV4 hybrid limited by the beginning of August 2021 (Vancouver Dealership).

It was supposed to be here November, then no ETA.
Called again in January and they told me March/April.

The thing I hate is that they can’t be bothered to update me on any developments. I pay a deposit to reserve the car, and I have to be calling to get any type of information. And even then it is pretty vague.
I hear you. Ironically, my sales agent gets frustrated for providing updates. Saying he doesn't know, he can't do anything, this is what he has been told and etc. I see their side of story, too. But auto dealers have got so many orders during the pandemic that they don't care anymore about customer service. You don't get the car, somebody else will do. That's all hear.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

For the auto industry, 2022 may not be much different from 2021. If you lose your spot and wanna place a fresh order, then you may need to wait longer. But if you need the car asap, having a back up plan never hurts. Hence, Toyota is not a startup business. They should figure this out.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I hear you. Ironically, my sales agent gets frustrated for providing updates. Saying he doesn't know, he can't do anything, this is what he has been told and etc. I see their side of story, too. But auto dealers have got so many orders during the pandemic that they don't care anymore about customer service. You don't get the car, somebody else will do. That's all hear.
That’s a bad agent! Remember him next time you’re buying! My sales agent is very patient with me when I ask for updates and quite pleasant. I’d use him again. Guess your agent isn’t very concerned about future sales. I may be inclined to tell him that AFTER i got my car!

·
Registered
2021 rav4 xle hybrid
122 Posts

Same here I ordered a xle hybrid on August 4th 2021 and next week will be 8 months im hoping by summers end

1 - 20 of 129 Posts