Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
61 - 80 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
RAV 4.5 2021 Hybrid AWD
52 Posts
US experience.
My wife and I went to a Toyota dealership, after being frustrated by Subaru dealers trying to sell us overpriced Foresters; one with $4000 in add-ons. This was in Vermont.
While we had never owned a Toyota before, the dealership we visited, on a whim, October 10th, had a 2021 RV4 Hybrid LE in their allotment. It had a build date of Nov 2nd, in Kentucky.
So we put down a deposit and crossed our fingers.
While we couldn't change any of the specs, at that point in the build, the only expensive option was the
Blind Spot Monitor w/ Rear Cross-Traffic Alert,
Outside Mirrors w/ Turn Signal & Blind Spot Warning Indicators.
This option is actually pretty useful; signaling passing cars that are in your blind spot..
Otherwise the price we paid was MSRP, plus a special color paint surcharge.
After receiving the temporary VIN number, we kept checking the Toyota Vehicle Specification website,
Vehicle Specification | Toyota Owners
When the last 5 VIN digits become all numbers (no letter) then the car is nearly ready.
We received our car, at the dealership on November 17th
The interesting thing for me reading this is that you say these are 'expensive options'. The situation is different here in Australia (and NZ? UK???) as far as I can tell. These options are normal on all RAV4s to judge by the specifications sheet. The only options we ordered were AWD, the hybrid engine and unbraked tow capacity. Perhaps this reflects our different model labeling. This LE code seems to be North American with ours starting with a 'G'. So our otherwise based model is a GX and the next one up is a GXL follower by 'Cruiser' and 'Edge'. Perhaps this reflects Japanese standards and right hand drive (also potentially suited to the UK). I dont think its anything to do with local safety requirements as you can still get no frills Hyundai I20s with well, no frills (even no basic cruise control).

·
Registered
70 Posts
The interesting thing for me reading this is that you say these are 'expensive options'. The situation is different here in Australia (and NZ? UK???) as far as I can tell. These options are normal on all RAV4s to judge by the specifications sheet. The only options we ordered were AWD, the hybrid engine and unbraked tow capacity. Perhaps this reflects our different model labeling. This LE code seems to be North American with ours starting with a 'G'. So our otherwise based model is a GX and the next one up is a GXL follower by 'Cruiser' and 'Edge'. Perhaps this reflects Japanese standards and right hand drive (also potentially suited to the UK). I dont think its anything to do with local safety requirements as you can still get no frills Hyundai I20s with well, no frills (even no basic cruise control).
Same in Mexico, except that NO options are available. It is what it is. 5 models: LE,XLE, ADVENTURE, LTD, HYBRID... no torque vectoring, LE and XLE fwd only, Adv and LTD awd (no torque vectoring). Only 1 hybrid, kind of like a US limited, but comes with pano roof that is completely inadvisable here.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i ordered my lst week and they saidit would be delivered on the 29th. I just picked it up today and it came fresh off the truck. RAV4 hybrid XLE in lunar rock. Nothing special in it otherwise. I have the normal 7” touch screen and very basic backup camera.

i am coming from a pickup truck so it takes a little getting used too, but i really like it.
i ordered my lst week and they saidit would be delivered on the 29th. I just picked it up today and it came fresh off the truck. RAV4 hybrid XLE in lunar rock. Nothing special in it otherwise. I have the normal 7” touch screen and very basic backup camera.

i am coming from a pickup truck so it takes a little getting used too, but i really like it.
I know this is an old post but how did you get your xle hybrid in lunar rock? They told me that colour is only on the trail and trd gas models? Lunar rock is my favorite colour. I was bummed when they said the hybrid didnt come with it.

·
Registered
RAV 4.5 2021 Hybrid AWD
52 Posts
Same in Mexico, except that NO options are available. It is what it is. 5 models: LE,XLE, ADVENTURE, LTD, HYBRID... no torque vectoring, LE and XLE fwd only, Adv and LTD awd (no torque vectoring). Only 1 hybrid, kind of like a US limited, but comes with pano roof that is completely inadvisable here.
We arent quite in such a bad way down here. Of the four models, three come in hybrid or ICE form and 2WD or AWD (hybrids) - so really 10 basic variants. And there dont seem to be reports anymore of glitches reported for the 2019 and 2020 productions. As for add-ons the simplest way to get them mainly was as part of the model package though there were model upgrading options.....or they were already included in the base model. Unlike what seems to be the case in North America all our offerings seem to have the full suite of safety features.

Another possible consideration in this is our previous expectations and experience. We upgraded from a 2008 Astra which wasnt too bad for its so the number of new unfamiliar bells and whistles was overwhelming. After 6 months and 5000 km and some trailer towing the only thing I would upgrade would be the seats (though the basics are pretty good) and maybe the surround camera and electronic rear vision mirror (not essential really). As to the tyre we have the option to include a full size one but so far havent bothered.....maybe when we take a long off road trip.

One question regarding limited range in Mexico that puzzles me. Are you expecting to see a variety for sale in the show room or can you order a tailored hybrid from the manufacturer in the US/Canada? Supply was so limited for us what was available didnt suit and so we had to literally order from Japan......which took 4 months before the tracking tool said 'scheduled for production'. But at least we are more than satisfied and the current 10-12 month wait is not a concern.

-------------------------------
RAV4.5 GX Hybrid AWD with towbar.

·
Registered
8 Posts
About 2 weeks here in California, some dealerships whc claim not to charge mark-ups, decide to charge a 'paint-protection fee' which for the hybrid is $1k, but then surprisingly for the prime it's 5k, it's hard to think it's not a markup

·
Registered
78 Posts
About 2 weeks here in California, some dealerships whc claim not to charge mark-ups, decide to charge a 'paint-protection fee' which for the hybrid is $1k, but then surprisingly for the prime it's 5k, it's hard to think it's not a markup
When we put down a deposit on our RAV4 Hybrid, October 10th, we had the salesperson, write up a document with MSRP price, plus the Cross traffic/blindspot option being built into car. See post #60. Then I asked him to sign this docment, and Sales Manager signed it too. So price out the door was in writing. We were buying the car with all cash, no financing at dealer.

When we headed down State to pick up the car, Nov 17th, I told my wife , if they try and add a surcharge I pull out this document. Then we walk if necessary. Well no problem at closing, though the sales manager, did come out with a list of options he tried to sell us; Paint protection, Loss of key insurance, various extended warranties, from Allstate (?) .
We said no thanks to all this extra stuff.
This car color is the Ruby Red by the way

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
When we put down a deposit on our RAV4 Hybrid, October 10th, we had the salesperson, write up a document with MSRP price, plus the Cross traffic/blindspot option being built into car. See post #60. Then I asked him to sign this docment, and Sales Manager signed it too. So price out the door was in writing. We were buying the car with all cash, no financing at dealer.

When we headed down State to pick up the car, Nov 17th, I told my wife , if they try and add a surcharge I pull out this document. Then we walk if necessary. Well no problem at closing, though the sales manager, did come out with a list of options he tried to sell us; Paint protection, Loss of key insurance, various extended warranties, from Allstate (?) .
We said no thanks to all this extra stuff.
Really interesting, thank you for the insight. Didn’t think to have them sign one at the deposit, I suppose that’s the benefit of going in person to do the that. We gave one over the phone to a different one. Will be sure to have some sort of agreement on the OTD price with signatures before we leave to ensure no surprises at pickup. We want a Hybrid xle with one package, so shouldn’t be too tricky I hope.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It is a $540 extra cost color on the XLE in Canada. Now in practical terms, it may be unavailable to the dealer as a build slot but the Canadian configurator does list it.
I double checked with a couple toyota dealers. They both said lunar rock is only on the trail and trd trims. I looked on the toyota website (canadian) and the only premium paint option was ruby red ($255). Perhaps you were on the american website by mistake? Looks like Canada doesn't offer that colour on the hybrids :(

·
Registered
RAV 4.5 2021 Hybrid AWD
52 Posts
There is an interesting recent article here on North American and probably Global supply chain problems dated september 2021. Shopping for a car has never been tougher, thanks to supply-chain issues It pretty much aligns with all the comments in this thread.

There are several bits relevant to the RAV4 that confirm expectations and comments. First of all its both the RAV4 and this class of vehicle e.g. Honda CR-V are in very high demand and being delayed. Secondly the delay for the RAV4 Prime is more like 12 months!!!! This sort of explains why Toyota arent sending any to Australia in the near future. In the case of Hyundai people are willing to wait for hybrids. If you have a hybrid highlander you can make a quick profit thanks to this fascinating supply and demand illustration we are currently seeing.

Its sounding like there is a significant consumer shift towards partial or totally electrified vehicles of all kinds especially the ones with a reputation for reliability. And the manufacturers have been caught flat footed. Another factoid. Down here the RAV4 hybrids constitute about 65% of RAV4 demand (2020 figures) whereas expectations from dealers were reportedly 20%. This is despite wait times and extra cost of the hybrid variants.

The reasons seem very simple additional to the Toyota reputation for reliability which is still not dead. Unlike in Europe but like Canada and the US range anxiety (or should it be better called impatience or fill up and drive) will be real for the forseeable future. RAV4 AWDs can tow. The parking space footprint is virtually the same as the Corolla sedan and not much bigger than a small car like our old Astra. And parking is no more trouble thanks to the reversing camera.

A final bit of blather about options. The Australian RAV4 variants all have the same safety features as standard e.g. the cross traffic and blindspot options above. While the constant voice messaging can be annoying occasionally the resulting high level of safety translates to feeling much safer too and with the rest of the automation translates to much lower stress driving which many dont think about when buying a new car. Certainly I went for the base model without considering this. As a result we dont have the better internal trim options but I am pleased we were forced into including what really counts in the long run.

·
Registered
NC '19 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package
1,757 Posts
There is an interesting recent article here on North American and probably Global supply chain problems dated september 2021. Shopping for a car has never been tougher, thanks to supply-chain issues It pretty much aligns with all the comments in this thread.

There are several bits relevant to the RAV4 that confirm expectations and comments. First of all its both the RAV4 and this class of vehicle e.g. Honda CR-V are in very high demand and being delayed. Secondly the delay for the RAV4 Prime is more like 12 months!!!! This sort of explains why Toyota arent sending any to Australia in the near future. In the case of Hyundai people are willing to wait for hybrids. If you have a hybrid highlander you can make a quick profit thanks to this fascinating supply and demand illustration we are currently seeing.

Its sounding like there is a significant consumer shift towards partial or totally electrified vehicles of all kinds especially the ones with a reputation for reliability. And the manufacturers have been caught flat footed. Another factoid. Down here the RAV4 hybrids constitute about 65% of RAV4 demand (2020 figures) whereas expectations from dealers were reportedly 20%. This is despite wait times and extra cost of the hybrid variants.

The reasons seem very simple additional to the Toyota reputation for reliability which is still not dead. Unlike in Europe but like Canada and the US range anxiety (or should it be better called impatience or fill up and drive) will be real for the forseeable future. RAV4 AWDs can tow. The parking space footprint is virtually the same as the Corolla sedan and not much bigger than a small car like our old Astra. And parking is no more trouble thanks to the reversing camera.

A final bit of blather about options. The Australian RAV4 variants all have the same safety features as standard e.g. the cross traffic and blindspot options above. While the constant voice messaging can be annoying occasionally the resulting high level of safety translates to feeling much safer too and with the rest of the automation translates to much lower stress driving which many dont think about when buying a new car. Certainly I went for the base model without considering this. As a result we dont have the better internal trim options but I am pleased we were forced into including what really counts in the long run.

Constant voice messaging? I wonder what you have that I don't in the US as I'm not aware of any voice messaging. Bings and beeps certainly but not voice. What am I missing?

·
Registered
RAV 4.5 2021 Hybrid AWD
52 Posts
Constant voice messaging? I wonder what you have that I don't in the US as I'm not aware of any voice messaging. Bings and beeps certainly but not voice. What am I missing?
We have the pings and beeps of course. But in addition, in NSW at least, the main voice messages we have:
  • "You are approaching a School Zone"....then...."You are entering a School Zone"
  • "You are approaching a Red Light Camera" (or alternatively a Speed Camera.....or a Red Light Speed Camera).......followed by a ping as you pass it (this could be a very useful feature in the UK where they have taken Orwell's 1984 as a SOP guide rather than a satire on totalitarianism and hidden speed cameras everywhere). This obviously doesnt apply to the mobile speed traps but its still very useful. One thing to note which may be different elsewhere and certainly is to the UK. Speed and red light cameras require there to be a warning sign as well saying that you are approaching one so there is no excuse for getting caught and claiming ignorance. The rationale is they are for traffic management not revenue collection.....while the real reason is probably that a lot of politicians have been caught.
  • "Please obey all traffic regulations" which usually sounds when you are going more than the speed limit or maybe going over your lane marker even when the cruise control is not operating and dragging you back into the lane.
There are glitches. For example the School Zone warning sounds out of school hours though this is still a useful reminder IMO. It also sounds when you are in a motorway tunnel passing under a school so at a guess its GPS database but not 3D coordinate linked.

Another possibly related feature is the speed zone detection system. I dont know if this is GPS linked or is somehow detecting the speed limit signs. Its quite often wrong. As with the pings I think you can temporarily disable such warnings.

I would suspect in the US this would be very logistically challenging given the administrative diversity (3 or 4 different police departments in each state!), the number of states and the size of the place population wise. And then you'd have to have different voices for different regional accents?? And maybe someone would sue if the database was not continually perfect and up to date? I've spent a good amount of time in the US and the sense I get is that every state is almost a different country though not quite as extreme as say in Europe. Australia seems a lot more homogenous making a standard system of this kind easier to develop.

But I'd be surprised if its not present in Canada given the similarities of our governance systems and population. Perhaps its all part of the safety optional extras? Perhaps we are being Guinea Pigs down here?

·
Registered
NC '19 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package
1,757 Posts
We have the pings and beeps of course. But in addition, in NSW at least, the main voice messages we have:
  • "You are approaching a School Zone"....then...."You are entering a School Zone"
  • "You are approaching a Red Light Camera" (or alternatively a Speed Camera.....or a Red Light Speed Camera).......followed by a ping as you pass it (this could be a very useful feature in the UK where they have taken Orwell's 1984 as a SOP guide rather than a satire on totalitarianism and hidden speed cameras everywhere). This obviously doesnt apply to the mobile speed traps but its still very useful. One thing to note which may be different elsewhere and certainly is to the UK. Speed and red light cameras require there to be a warning sign as well saying that you are approaching one so there is no excuse for getting caught and claiming ignorance. The rationale is they are for traffic management not revenue collection.....while the real reason is probably that a lot of politicians have been caught.
  • "Please obey all traffic regulations" which usually sounds when you are going more than the speed limit or maybe going over your lane marker even when the cruise control is not operating and dragging you back into the lane.
There are glitches. For example the School Zone warning sounds out of school hours though this is still a useful reminder IMO. It also sounds when you are in a motorway tunnel passing under a school so at a guess its GPS database but not 3D coordinate linked.

Another possibly related feature is the speed zone detection system. I dont know if this is GPS linked or is somehow detecting the speed limit signs. Its quite often wrong. As with the pings I think you can temporarily disable such warnings.

I would suspect in the US this would be very logistically challenging given the administrative diversity (3 or 4 different police departments in each state!), the number of states and the size of the place population wise. And then you'd have to have different voices for different regional accents?? And maybe someone would sue if the database was not continually perfect and up to date? I've spent a good amount of time in the US and the sense I get is that every state is almost a different country though not quite as extreme as say in Europe. Australia seems a lot more homogenous making a standard system of this kind easier to develop.

But I'd be surprised if its not present in Canada given the similarities of our governance systems and population. Perhaps its all part of the safety optional extras? Perhaps we are being Guinea Pigs down here?

Sounds like something the GPS/Map feature would have. I have a speed limit sign display that changes every time it sees a sign but none of the voice prompts I see you having. I really haven't read the GPS/Map function handbook as it is a huge one and I only use a few features. Your feature doesn't sound like one I'd like either. Or maybe it is the Road Sign Assist feature of TSS. Should be a way to switch it off.

Different countries opt for different features beyond the basic. The Rav4 I have is from '19 but is the highest model and has all the optional packages you could order.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Newtonian wrote,
" RAV4 AWDs can tow. " The US version of the RV4 Prime can tow 2500 lbs. But the RV4 Hybrid manual says it can only tow 1750 lbs.
I thought I saw that the Australian/NZ spec Hybrid cars (not plug in) can tow 1500 KG?

·
Registered
RAV 4.5 2021 Hybrid AWD
52 Posts
Newtonian wrote,
" RAV4 AWDs can tow. " The US version of the RV4 Prime can tow 2500 lbs. But the RV4 Hybrid manual says it can only tow 1750 lbs.
I thought I saw that the Australian/NZ spec Hybrid cars (not plug in) can tow 1500 KG?
Looks like my bad editting here. Without electronic / inbuilt trailer brakes the RAV4 hybrid AWD is rated to tow 750 kg unbraked, while trailer brakes its 1500 kg.....just enough for a small loaded caravan.

The full specification sheets are easy to obtain for comparison. Just Google RAV4 hybrid Australia and download the PDF from the Toyota web site. Its useful for comparing our models to say the Canadian and US equivalents. Its also of some use for comparing the RAV4 to the Camry (A friend has one and I originally considered this myself.).

·
Registered
78 Posts
Here are the Australian/NZ spec sheets for the Rav 4 variants . Looks like the Towing capacity for the GXL Hybrid or Cruiser Hybrid, with trailer brakes is,
2WD = 480
electric AWD =

I assume these numbers are in KG? So if the US version of the AWD RV4 Hybrid (not Prime) can only tow 1750 lbs,( the version I have ) that is only 793 KG. Doesn't make sense.
I have a 2500 lb boat/trailer combo, I would like to tow with my RV4 Hybrid LE.

Attachments

·
Registered
RAV 4.5 2021 Hybrid AWD
52 Posts
Here are the Australian/NZ spec sheets for the Rav 4 variants . Looks like the Towing capacity for the GXL Hybrid or Cruiser Hybrid, with trailer brakes is,
2WD = 480
electric AWD =

I assume these numbers are in KG? So if the US version of the AWD RV4 Hybrid (not Prime) can only tow 1750 lbs, the version I have that is only 793 KG. Doesn't make sense.
I have a 2500 lb boat/trailer combo, I would like to tow with my RV4 Hybrid LE.
The Australian figures are what I am working on. As to why there is a US difference, its quite surprising how difficult it is for different government standards setters to agree and so the poor old manufacturers have to tweek their models from one country to another though at the end of the day it makes little difference. And lets not forget the different regulations between different US states which they also have to cope with. Some might blame governments alone but its really across the board. One just has to consider the current EV charger incompatibilities or the different railway gauges of the 19th Century which reflected a lack of government involvement. At least these days for some purposes its possible for the manufacturers to just tweak a program command line rather than completely change the design of a sprocket or cog..though the latter is also needed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I emailed all the Toyota dealers within 150km of Vancouver at around 3pm on August 31 asking about Rav4 availability. I got a reply from one in Richmond saying they had a deal not go thru and had a white LE model available straight away. I went and picked it up at 5:30. So my wait time was about 2.5 hours.

61 - 80 of 86 Posts