Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be storing my 2015 Rav4 LE AWD for about 6 months while I head south for the winter. It will be garaged and protected from the weather. I'll be changing the oil and filter as well as adding stabilizer to the full tank of gas. I plan to remove the battery and bring it indoors where it will be warmer. Any other tips from anyone as to what else I should do? Thanks

·
Registered
419 Posts
a) add an oz of fuel stabilizer, in the tank
- SeaFoam is a top product (sold at NAPA-UAP)
- old untreated gas causes fuel system varnish & lower octane level (depletes over time)
I even use SeaFoam in all my small engines (aka Garden Tractor & Stihl) - my weed eater is 15 years old, and still runs like new...ethanol blended gas, adds to storage problem...thus the need for gas treatment.

b) stored battery would benefit from a trickle charge

Enjoy your extended trip.

·
Super Moderator
11,461 Posts
Rather than removing the battery how about buying a Smart Charger that will keep it full but never overcharge? All the car's electronic systems will be maintained as well. Were it mine I would put it up on jack stands to keep the tires from flat spotting.

How far South are you going? We have tons of "Winter Texans" down here where I live.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Rather than removing the battery how about buying a Smart Charger that will keep it full but never overcharge? All the car's electronic systems will be maintained as well. Were it mine I would put it up on jack stands to keep the tires from flat spotting.
All good. Smart trickle charging works very well. When I put mine away for 18 months, I just inflated the tires to 42 pounds. No flat spots.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Second the battery maintainer, whether the battery is in the car or not. The storage area should be dry, and have relatively stable temperature, heated if nessesary, or the brake discs and other parts will rust. If stored outside over over the winter, the brake disc may rust to the point they need turning to clean up the rust.

Fill the fuel tank to minimize condensation and water accumulation in the fuel tank. Fuel stabilizer is a good idea especially if the fuel has alcohol in it. Try to fill it with alcohol free fuel before storage.

If there are wide temperature and humidity swings, condensation and water may accumulate in the engine and transmission, another reason to store it in a temperature stable place. I've had good luck storing a car during snow season in a heated 50 degree garage. It doesn't take much heat to keep it at 40 or 50 degrees except when it's near 0 outside.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Perhaps fogging the engine is a good idea as well. I lay down a thick vapor barrier plastic sheet on the ground and then drive my vehicles onto it, covering it's whole under side. It avoids corrosion as moisture comes through from the ground regardless if its concrete or not.
I have been using the Deltran Battery Tender Jr for 2 cars and a boat for years and no issues what so ever. My boat's battery with the Deltran Battery Tender Jr was still like new after 6 years even though batteries should be replaced ever 3 years for boats, bad or good.

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
I would just park it and not worry about it.

+1. When I was in college in Nebraska back even in the days of carbureted engines I would park my clunker Ford in an unheated garage for months, and when returning it would start right up. No preliminary preparation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts