Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Went Christmas tree cutting this last weekend. Took 2 cars as not only did we need my truck to haul the trees but it is nice to have two vehicles when off road in snow (to unstuck each other if needed). They kept several of the USFS road opened this years. We drove in about 2.5 miles on this dirt road that was 100% snow packed. Wife was having a great time, and passed several great areas since she just wanted to keep driving. Road surface was well packed and she had zero traction issues running Blizzaks WS70s.

Cheers

·
Registered
310 Posts
Nice scenery.....those are the what roads I drive on too , except add about 5ft of snow! :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
This past weekend I drove over Snoqualamie Pass that had been closed to all traffic except all-wheel drive vehicles due to heavy snowfall. My RAV4 didn't have a problem with the snow even when I saw some other 4x4 vehicles struggling to keep traction on the pass. I was very pleased with the performance and handling of my RAV4 in those conditions.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Last time I was in Truckee I drove the "6" with my FJ. Good times.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
This past weekend I drove over Snoqualamie Pass that had been closed to all traffic except all-wheel drive vehicles due to heavy snowfall. My RAV4 didn't have a problem with the snow even when I saw some other 4x4 vehicles struggling to keep traction on the pass. I was very pleased with the performance and handling of my RAV4 in those conditions.
What tires do you have?

·
Registered
27 Posts
We got about 8 inches a couple weeks ago, I took my Rav out for the first time in the unplowed snow and it handled very well. I expected it to handle worse from other posts that I have read. I have Firestone Destination all season tires and had no problems.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Last time I was in Truckee I drove the "6" with my FJ. Good times.
That would be forest service road "ohh" 6 :wink

I live very close that road and use it in the summer to commute to work on my motorcycle.

·
Registered
15 Posts
You must love snow. My grand daughter was born in Truckee 2013. Celebrated at the Cottonwood.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You must love snow. My grand daughter was born in Truckee 2013. Celebrated at the Cottonwood.
Again Cottonwood is at the other end of my neighborhood.

Yeh I grew up in Southern California so snow was a novelty. Started skiing once I graduated school and was making my own money. Was already into mountain sports and skiing was just a natural progression. Moved up here for the snow, stayed for the mountain lifestyle.

So yes you can say that I love snow. It is dumping right now:D:D:D

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
Snow is like your grand kids. It's fun to play with for a while, but it needs to go back home when you're done.
Ain't that the truth! I found out that after about a week the novelty had worn off and I was tired of it!

·
Registered
27 Posts
My dad used to live in a place called Cool, California, my aunt was in Truckee. I went there once back in maybe the early 80s and there was really not much there. Very beautiful area.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I was finally able to play in the snow with my Rav this morning. We got about 5-7" of the fluffy junk. I had a sleep study done last night and I had about a 26 mile drive home. The OEM Toyo tires are just adequate and I'll probably get a different set before next winter. I did spend about 30 minutes in an empty parking lot getting used to the handling of the Rav with the traction control and VSC turned on and off and using the 4WD lock. I do have 24+ years experience with 4WD trucks (current work/ plow truck is an F250) but my Rav is the first personal vehicle I've owned with 4WD (or AWD). I figured it was good time to brush up on my winter driving skills. There's a hill near me with about 9-10% grade and the Rav had no problems getting up the unplowed road. YAY RAV4!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I got my 2WD this time last year and got to drive in some snow and ice. Almost all FWD's do good in snow and ice. But the Rav4 with traction control and some nice all-terrain tires does much better. If we get DEEP snow this year I'll just get out the lifted 4WD Pathfinder with 32" BFG TKO's.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts