Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,222 Posts
Surprised that there isn't body damage.
But there's likely severe damage to the undercarriage as the reporter mentioned. She also called it a "Dukes of Hazard moment." Back when that show was airing I'd just gotten a video recorder and was able to see one of their "landings" in slow motion. Just before they drove away in an identically painted Dodge Charger you could clearly see the jumper's nose completely folded up and destroyed.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Yup.
Dukes of Hazard was responsible for the untimely demise of hundreds of classic Chargers.
Enthusiasts were trying to spread the word to people not to sell when the studios made them an offer for "that old piece of junk"

The show would likely not have gone on as long as it did if social media had been around in the 70s. Either that, or they would have gone the Knight Rider route and used models or dummy shells on more moden cars.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,761 Posts

·
Registered
8,594 Posts
The bridge operating authority should pay for the damage to their RAV. Thankfully the family didn't end up on the water. The outcome clearly could have been tragic.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
I can't believe a drawbridge wouldn't have video cameras!
This.
That is one of the higher liability pieces of infrastructure, but they are all woefully behind the times on technology.

A guy on another forum works a drawbridge in Rio Vista and it's amazing how they still operate as they did in the 50s.
Some bridges don't even have radios... captains contact the RV bridge, and he telephones the other one. Most don't even have networked computers.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
There's an old draw bridge on a major highway here by me that is being replaced by a modern fixed bridge. It's as high as the drawbridge is when opened.

While no vehicle ever went through what that family's did, there have been vehicles that have gone off of that draw bridge (flew over the guard rails) and landed in the water below. There were fatalities!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts