Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2021 RAV4 LE gas only model and is it just me or does the distance till empty seem not accurate?

Every time I fill up the vehicle, the most I can get out of the distance till empty is 373 miles.

Even if the distance till empty is based solely on the city mpg rating which is 27mpg shouldn’t the distance till empty be at 391 (14.5gal x 27mpg= 391 miles)

Also if it gets 30 combined then it should be (14.5gal x 30mpg = 435miles)

If it is based on highway then it should be
(14.5gal x 35mpg = 507miles)

What’s the most your distance till empty has read when filling up your gas only RAV4?

Is something wrong with my rav4?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Seems about right depends on your driving. I get anywhere from 22-27mpg wife's commuter car stop/go trip to grocery store/pickup kids. Never done a long hwy trip but I would assume it would go above +27-30mpg.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Sounds right to me too. When the display shows 0 miles to empty, you’ll still have about 50 miles of range in reserve left from the other posts I’m seeing.

·
Registered
303 Posts
There is a reserve, and we are calculating our RAV's to be at 2 gallons.

The dash is calculated based on driving habit. The bubble seems to be 360-460 with the past post I have seen.

Personally for me, I am getting around 32-33 mpg and tank distance shows around 405-425 each time I fill up. On the highway only cruising at 65-70 mph, we can get around 40-42 MPG :). Too bad idling and local driving really dips the average.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is a reserve, and we are calculating our RAV's to be at 2 gallons.

The dash is calculated based on driving habit. The bubble seems to be 360-460 with the past post I have seen.

Personally for me, I am getting around 32-33 mpg and tank distance shows around 405-425 each time I fill up. On the highway only cruising at 65-70 mph, we can get around 40-42 MPG :). Too bad idling and local driving really dips the average.
Thanks mine we always 363 and I thought that’s too low. I now hold the pump while pumping and now it goes up to 375 but most of my driving is city driving maybe that’s why it’s always low. I’ll have to take it for a long trip.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Don't fill your tank past the click. You'll only fill up all the vent hoses at the top of the filler neck, which go to expensive emissions systems that are not designed to hold liquid gasoline.

And yes, DTE is calculated with two less gallons than the tank actually holds. So, take your MPG and multiply that by 2 gallons and add that to your displayed MPG, and you'll get a more accurate number.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Every time I fill up the vehicle, the most I can get out of the distance till empty is 373 miles.
It's probably just guessing based on some pre-programmed average because how is it supposed to know how you're going to drive that tank ahead of time? I don't know if there's any way it keeps track of all previous tanks and how they're driven to come up with the next range number on the next fillup.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I actually found this to be one of the most accurate ones I've driven. It always ranges between 360-380 miles depending on my driving and ambient temperature, but it really corresponds to 360-380 miles, doesn't seem to change its mind significantly the further you go in the same tank. I do city driving to highway driving about 4:3, then maybe once a week up to mountain roads, so overall I think it's very reasonable for my driving and the size of the car.
Only thing I've always hated and never seen any different is why the fuel gauge always seems to take ages to go down to 3/4 then goes much faster to 1/2 full, then before you know it it's down to empty. Surely this would make sense 30 years ago when everything was analogue, but is it really that hard/expensive nowadays to equip a system that shows an actual reading of the fuel left in the tank, even more so since the trip computer seems to be perfectly accurate?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts