Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!! My RAV4 2006 intermittently loses p/s, power brakes, the speedometer function and all the dash service indicator lights come on. Than a few days later, the dash indicator lights go off and everything returns to normal. Toyota dealer can't find any error codes. The service advisor said to take the car to a windshield service to check for leaks. The windshield folks laughed at the idea. No error codes. What could be wrong? I'm stumped.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Hi!! My RAV4 2006 intermittently loses p/s, power brakes, the speedometer function and all the dash service indicator lights come on. Than a few days later, the dash indicator lights go off and everything returns to normal. Toyota dealer can't find any error codes. The service advisor said to take the car to a windshield service to check for leaks. The windshield folks laughed at the idea. No error codes. What could be wrong? I'm stumped.
Check your charging system, specifically battery health and alternator output at all parameters.

2012 RAV4 Base FWD.
Upgraded to large front brakes and 3rd row rear springs.

Reactions: Dr. Dyno

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
You may have to look behind the dash to see if there is any kind of water leak. I would start where the relays are located just behind that removable panel.

See relay diagram here:

If you remove some relays you may see water marks. This may indicate the cowl is leaking. There is recall for this on some models. I had my cowl replaced free since I live in one of the areas affected by the recall.

·
Super Moderator
10,783 Posts
I'm betting Foryota is on the right track. Unless the battery is brand new I'd have it load tested and it's cables checked, both POS and NEG.

·
Registered
2010 2.0 VVTi RAV 4
361 Posts
I would also look at the junction box which I think is located in one of the kick panels down in the footwell. You may find some corrosion there that could cause a problem.

Does this problem appear after a rain storm/car wash etc? Just trying to think through the problem

Also, agreed as above on the battery/terminals etc

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had the alternator replaced the first time the problem occurred. Battery tests normal. Seems to be more of a problem during the rain. Toyota service department can't find an error code. The service advisor suggested that a sensor battery in the windshield at the rear view mirror might be the problem. Plans to send me to a windshield shop. I feel I'm getting the run around and not getting the problem solved. I can't possibly be the only RAV4 owner with this issue. At a loss. Thank you all for the suggestions. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
2010 2.0 VVTi RAV 4
361 Posts
As it is more of a problem during the rain, then I feel this gives some direction.

I do not know the architecture of the rain sensor system, but is it possible to unplug that sensor for a while, and see if the problem does not come back - a kind of isolation test?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Check your charging system, specifically battery health and alternator output at all parameters.

2012 RAV4 Base FWD.
Upgraded to large front brakes and 3rd row rear springs.
So my alternator is new and battery output is good. I'm thinking there is a leak or the sensor battery is going bad.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You may have to look behind the dash to see if there is any kind of water leak. I would start where the relays are located just behind that removable panel.

See relay diagram here:

If you remove some relays you may see water marks. This may indicate the cowl is leaking. There is recall for this on some models. I had my cowl replaced free since I live in one of the areas affected by the recall.
Thank you for the diagram. I will check the fuses and check for a leak. Toyota service has my car right now. Thank you for the suggestions.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

See relay diagram here:

Really good to know about the cowl issue as I do see water puddles in the weather techs on front passenger side after a major rain. Thanks for that suggestion.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts