Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, as long-time owners of 3 Prius- two of which have died within the last 6 months- we find ourselves shopping for our next vehicle, and are looking into a used Rav4.
Hoping to find that low-mileage, one owner, local trade gem!
In checking nearby dealerships, we're seeing a lot of 2017's for sale. We're guessing it's because they sold off as 36 month leases, (and hoping it's not that there was a problem with many 2017 models!)

Any advice or tips you can share would be appreciated

One of the used 2017's we've found is front wheel drive; can you share the advantage or disadvantage of that?
thanks,

·
Registered
92 Posts
They are all front wheel drive. The AWD models can be switched to engage the rear wheels under certain conditions. We bought the AWD model because the wife was driving fairly long trips through snowy weather.

We replaced a 2014 CRV with our RAV4. The CRV was a real lemon--that was the year Honda changed their TPMS system to compare wheel revolutions to determine whether one tire was low. That did not work, at least with our car. The Honda got better gas mileage, a steady 32 mpg vs about 31 with the RAV4 on a long trip, less on average.

You have the right idea--find a one owner RAV4 in good condition.

·
Registered
8,369 Posts
As a point of curiosity, what caused the demises of two of your Prius vehicles?

·
Registered
92 Posts
The traction advantage applies only up to 25 mph (as I recall), then only if you have engaged the rear axle.

·
Registered
203 Posts
We helped our daughter buy a 2018 RAV4 XLE AWD one year ago this week, and it's serving her very well. It's a very nice vehicle overall. It was a rental car company vehicle, and less than a year old with 20,300 miles on it when they sold it off. Toyota actually took them back (hundreds of them), and auctioned off the hard used ones, and gave several local dealers an option on the cream. It was a code 6 transaction, or something like that. Negotiated price on the car nearly matched the mileage, oddly enough, so it was a sweet deal all around.

AWD works for us in our area of NY, and we run dedicated winter tires as well.

My Subaru Outback has the best AWD system (pretty much full time engagement with a center diffy that distributes torque F to R). Our 2013 CR-V and the RAV are really part-time AWD with an electromagnetic clutch that disengages the rear diffy from the driveshaft when deemed not needed. The RAV does at least have an engagement button for 0-25 mph which locks that clutch on. It does improve launch on powder and ice. From then on, it's a microprocessor driven 'engage when slip is encountered' AWD system. Still better than FWD, and it doesn't impact overall efficiency all that much.

The system in the Sienna was not as well executed and carried more compromises, so that's the only FWD of our 4 vehicles. But again, it gets Blizzaks in the winter, so does OK in most conditions.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Reb: Our 2013 was the last year the CR-V has real TPMS sensors. I bought 4 more and used an ATEQ Quickset for annual changeover / reprogramming. The CR-V has served us well too. I know that Honda even had to eat some 2014's when they couldn't get the system to settle down. I hear that by 2015 they got the algorithms right, and the reset button works as it should in re-calibrate mode. Although my sister still had occasional issues with her 2016 throwing false codes on occasion.

Two years ago I stepped up to an Autel TS-508, and the RAV was my first experience in cloning sensors for winter tires. IT WORKS GREAT! Swap the tires, and the RAV doesn't know the difference.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I bought a set of steel rims for winter tires for the wife's RAV4. Instead of putting TPMS sensors in them, I bought an aftermarket tire pressure monitoring setup that uses sensors in the valve caps and has a display that plugs into the cigarette lighter socket (or whatever the PC word is for that now). The wife likes that setup so well that she uses it with the original tires, too. If I had known that such a thing existed, she probably would still be driving the CRV.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Schrader makes an aftermarket dash unit that uses traditional TPMS-style sensors. I prefer the idea of those units vs. a cap that keeps the schrader valve open full time in order to take a measurement. Even with the 'lock' designed in, I'm still worried about failure and leaks. But, there's no denying that the full readout beats a single dash light any day of the week. I very much believe that TPMS saves lives, so any system you use is far better than running winter rims without anything.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I hate steel rims, but feel that the nice clearcoat polished & black rims of the 2018 are too delicate for severe winter use. So I went with Insurance company grade aftermarket replica alloy wheels of the heavily painted 5 spoke design from the 2015 XLE. They held up great for Winter #1.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As a point of curiosity, what caused the demises of two of your Prius vehicles?
One was caught in the middle of a chain reaction rear collision, and totaled. Luckily DH walked away with just a sore shoulder. The 2011 started running rough and threw codes leading Toyota to recommend replacing EGR valve and intake manifold. 100 miles later, a rod/piston went through the aluminum block. :cautious:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hello, as long-time owners of 3 Prius- two of which have died within the last 6 months- we find ourselves shopping for our next vehicle, and are looking into a used Rav4.
Hoping to find that low-mileage, one owner, local trade gem!
In checking nearby dealerships, we're seeing a lot of 2017's for sale. We're guessing it's because they sold off as 36 month leases, (and hoping it's not that there was a problem with many 2017 models!)

Any advice or tips you can share would be appreciated

One of the used 2017's we've found is front wheel drive; can you share the advantage or disadvantage of that?
thanks,
My advice would be to read through all the posts on this forum before making your decision.
Good luck!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts