Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I bought my used 2013 RAV4 XLE (under 30,000 miles) about 8 months ago and noticed that the trip computer displayed my range at 280 miles. Ever since then, that number has increased steadily by 5 to 10 miles. As of right now, I'm at 331 miles of range when I filled up a week ago. I don't drive often but when I do, I travel anywhere from 20 to 60 miles per trip. Most of the time, I fuel up (when the range is between 30 - 40 miles) at Shell but when there isn't one around, the alternatives are either BP or Costco. I've read that the number changes according to the average MPG based on my driving but does the source where I fuel up matter? Also, what's the highest number the range will go up to?

Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Disconnect the battery and wait a few minutes and reconnect it will give you the max distance range for your fuel . And it will adjust itself according to your driving habits from there .

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I'm pretty sure you can reset the fuel computer by pressing and holding the display button--at least that works for my 2009.

Your gas tank holds 15.9 gallons. For range, the computer might be calculating the distance to when the 'low fuel' light comes on--which occurs when there is approx 3 gallons in the tank as reserve, so call it 12.9 gallons. Let's also assume you are getting 27 mpg, a common figure, could be slightly higher or lower depending on driving habits and conditions.

So calculating 12.9 gallons x 27 mpg = 348.3 miles--range on fuel computer. (Keep in mind, if you were to use the 3-gal reserve, your true range would be 15.9 gal x 27mpg = 429.7 miles to flameout.) If this is not correct, I'm sure a gen 4.4 RAVer will be along soon to let me know.

Meanwhile, welcome to the forum and enjoy the RAV!

·
Registered
1 Posts
We just bought a 2013 Limited and we are having the same issue. We are getting 350km (219 miles) as a read out on the computer, but it increases a bit at every fill up. Is there a way to actually get it to reset? Resetting both the nav/radio display fuel/trip info OR the the average mpg on the display near the speedometer that shows Distance to Empty (DTE) does not do anything. Is removing the battery the only option? Is this a trip to the dealer?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts