Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

RAV4 no more

456 Views 2 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  jeldredge4
I have a 2011 RAV4Limitied 3.5L V6 with 123000 miles. First off I have to say that this vehicle is nothing short of spectacular. Truly remarkable and reliable piece of machinery! That being said, I've stumbled into a pretty perplexing issue. . .

So, I got Light Truck All Terrain tires not too long ago.( the same size as what is specified 225 65 R17) I am on some pretty rough terrain for work accompanied with a fairly heavy payload on the regular. A higher load range seemed like it wouldn't hurt at all. Shortly after the install, I went for a cruise and about 50 miles in my 4WD light came on. No other light, just 4WD. My first thought was the tires. I contacted Goodyear and in a few days time had the "proper" tires installed, All Terrain 225 65 R17. In doing so, the shop had read and cleared the code, took it for a spin and the 4WD light popped again. I was told the code read something along the lines of ~ 4WD actuator solenoid- valve body~ I don't know why the code wasn't written down or directly translated to me via receipt or whatever, they said they were too busy to read the code again while I was there and here I am 1.5 months later, light still on and no seemingly apparent issues have transpired.

My 4WD lock button does not work. The traction control light is toggle able via button on center lower console. Slip indicator light is able to be triggered. It's been driving great, I feel I lost a little bit of acceleration in a 0-60 run, like it's not as on-point as before this 4WD issue. I have a gener8c code reader and across the whole readout there 8s no code or indicator of an issue as far as I can tell.

Any help or light on the subject would be much appreciated. I want to get my RAV back in tip top shape, we got 200000 miles to roam!!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2003 Forester X
227 Posts
Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in but my first step would be to find out what the actual code was.

Again I'm no expert but I would be leaning towards the electronic coupler in the front of the rear diff. Valve body makes you think transmission but there is no 4WD switching going on there that I know of. The rear drive shaft get's power %100 of the time and the electronic solenoid in the coupler get's more duty cycle signal from the 4WD controller and increasingly powers the rear wheels.

I know the couplers are known for having a bearing issue but maybe under lots of use with a heavy load the solenoid or clutch packs shit the bed.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in but my first step would be to find out what the actual code was.

Again I'm no expert but I would be leaning towards the electronic coupler in the front of the rear diff. Valve body makes you think transmission but there is no 4WD switching going on there that I know of. The rear drive shaft get's power %100 of the time and the electronic solenoid in the coupler get's more duty cycle signal from the 4WD controller and increasingly powers the rear wheels.

I know the couplers are known for having a bearing issue but maybe under lots of use with a heavy load the solenoid or clutch packs shit the bed.
So, if jacked up off the ground , would I be able to put the vehicle in neutral and spin the tires and the driveshaft and accordingly that coupler, or does the ECM or PCM have to send a signal to engage the rear differential?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.