Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently took my RAV4 (finally) on a 17 km stretch of a rough gravel road. Overall, it was a cool experience. However, as expected, since the RAV4 is not designed for heavy-duty off-roading, it was a little bouncy. Even though it was an overall positive experience, I would think twice about taking my RAV4 on really rough roads. I have stock tires and suspension. I really had to take it slow because the potholes were a little unbearable. In fact, I had to pull over to let an older 4Runner pass me, which seemed to take the rough patches a little more smoothly than my RAV4 did.

Is the RAV4 more capable than I'm giving it credit for? What are your thoughts and experiences with the RAV4 off-road or on rough roads?

·
Registered
72 Posts
The best way to drive over corrugated roads is to actually get to a speed where the tyres touch the tops of the corrugation. This sometimes means speeding up... slowing down means the wheels will fall into the ruts and that's when the shakes become quite unbearable..... The downside to this is that you'll begin to float and skip too much if you want to change directions.

But as the 5th Gear show said, the RAV4 is the GTi of 4WD.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Make sure your tire pressure is at the correct level(too high will make it bouncy I found with stock tires). Be careful how fast you drive on rough roads with stock or highway terrain tires, they are not made to take a beating off highway.

Just a side note:
I have found that when I changed to A/T rubber it was a heck of alot better on rough roads and corrugated surfaces(not bouncy) though on regular roads the ride was not as smooth. Always a tradeoff.

Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
771 Posts
I find the Rav to be excellent off road with the right tires. I use mine quite a bit off road and find the Mud and Snow " Cooper Discoverer" tire to be very capable. I do some Mud'in with it every now and then and never turn down a challenge.

I do however, as I have stated in the past, stick to not crossing the line between respect for the vehicle and abusing it off road. No 4 foot mud holes and rock crawl'in!

Be sensible when using it and you will not have a problem getting back home to wash the mud off.

I'll get some better pictures but check out the few I have in my album. It hasn't rained here for a while and I've been too busy to go of roading lately.

Have fun with it. It will do more than most people think. Great all around vehicle. M. 8)

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I take mine for a little off road and I think it is doing great. Surelly it's no Land Cruiser or Hummer. but for the size of the car, Rav is really good on off roads. Well I think so, :p

1 - 5 of 5 Posts