Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Day five and still enjoying it. So far the vehicle has met my two basic criteria: it has to start (my old '04 CR-V tended to not to want to do that!) :D and it must grip the road nicely on turns at highway speeds.

This last part is important. For whatever reason -- cheap tires, wheel issue, inherent design of the car -- I always felt like I was about to lose control of the CR-V when I took a turn on a highway. It always felt "floaty." I was that annoying guy that would reduce his speed 10 mph below what the turn sign said.

The RAV4, by contrast, really gripped those turns and I was easily able to take them at the posted speed. Having it in sport mode made it even better! In some sense I haven't had that much fun on the highway since I had a Camaro.

--Michael

·
Super Moderator
10,134 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have had my 2016 Limited Hybrid (w/adv tech) for about 12 weeks now. It has been on one road trip. When I try to find nagging annoyances, I find few and they are mostly features available in more expensive vehicles.

Pluses (in no particular order):

• Reliability
  • Stability on the road
  • Fuel efficiency
  • Safety features:
    LED headlights, automatic highbeam, adaptive cruise control, lane departure control, blind spot monitor, impact avoidance braking, stability control, traction control
  • Convenience features:
    bluetooth audio, bluetooth tethering (for Internet connectivity), fuel finder app, driver seat memory with key FOB linkage, navigation with traffic re-routing
  • Interior room
  • Ride comfort
Minuses:

• No memory for mirrors, headrest, steering wheel and shoulder belt height
    Since other household members always want to drive the RAV4, we are constantly adjusting those things.
    I understand if Toyota offered those in the RAV4, they would have a harder time selling the equivalent Lexus model
  • Hands free tailgate open
  • When compared to the Venza, it does not feel as solid (see below)
Because my son it taking the RAV4 on a short trip today, I am driving my ladies 2010 Toyota Venza. The Venza is a very nice car; comfortable, feels solid, very stable, has good power (it is the V6). However, I am really missing all those safety and driver assist features.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Glad that you are enjoying your new RAV4. It was one week yesterday, that we picked up our new RAV4 Hybrid Limited and so far I have only good things to say about it. The handling is suberb, and with 228 miles on it, the gas gauge has only dropped to 3/4 tank. That has been mostly city driving, with one highway trip of about 40 miles. We had traded in our 2007 Lincoln MKX on the RAV4 and we wanted something to give us storage room, all wheel drive, comfort and economy and this has given us all of those. The "blind spot" monitor was one feature that my wife was really looking forward to having. I added side moldings, mud guards and next week I am having the rear bumper protector added. Packages included the tonneau cover, carpet floor mats and cargo mat. Of course, it came with the regular floor mats also.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have had my 2016 Limited Hybrid (w/adv tech) for about 12 weeks now. It has been on one road trip. When I try to find nagging annoyances, I find few and they are mostly features available in more expensive vehicles.

Pluses (in no particular order):

• Reliability
  • Stability on the road
  • Fuel efficiency
  • Safety features:
    LED headlights, automatic highbeam, adaptive cruise control, lane departure control, blind spot monitor, impact avoidance braking, stability control, traction control
  • Convenience features:
    bluetooth audio, bluetooth tethering (for Internet connectivity), fuel finder app, driver seat memory with key FOB linkage, navigation with traffic re-routing
  • Interior room
  • Ride comfort
Minuses:

• No memory for mirrors, headrest, steering wheel and shoulder belt height
    Since other household members always want to drive the RAV4, we are constantly adjusting those things.
    I understand if Toyota offered those in the RAV4, they would have a harder time selling the equivalent Lexus model
  • Hands free tailgate open
  • When compared to the Venza, it does not feel as solid (see below)
Because my son it taking the RAV4 on a short trip today, I am driving my ladies 2010 Toyota Venza. The Venza is a very nice car; comfortable, feels solid, very stable, has good power (it is the V6). However, I am really missing all those safety and driver assist features.
You're right jrohland about features like mirror memory etc. I'm sure the Lexus NX Hybrid at a minimum of 10k more would be a much harder sell if there was not as many differences. If you go to the official Lexus web site and build one you can easily get to over 50k.
We are driving a relative bargain!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine the 2016 LE model.

My quibbles are few at the moment. I wish Sport Mode stayed on between drives like Eco and I wish the Eco and Sport controls were higher up or maybe even on the steering wheel. The odd quibble I noticed -- with some amusement -- is that the dashboard illumination dial control is itself not illuminated! But that really is a set-and-forget setting.

The side mirrors are amazing, both in their size and the addition of the blind-spot mirror. While I still turn my head to look, those mirrors give me more side situational awareness than any car I've ever driven.

I'm also really enjoying the bluetooth audio streaming, which is a feature I've never had before. It's pretty cool to open the door, sit down, start the car, and in a moment have Pandora playing over the speakers -- all without taking my iPhone out of its belt case or hooking up a single cable!

--Michael

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh yeah, another quibble....the sunglasses holder is made from the thinnest plastic ever! That probably will be one of the first things to break. The plastic does seem out of place compared to the rest of the interior.

And I already had my first driving oops....when turning out of a parking lot, I turned too sharply and one of the rear tires went over the curb. Doesn't seem to have messed anything up, however.

A little over a week into it and I am enjoying the car. It is so nice to have a car that starts and drives exceedingly well. I'm definitely coming out of the novelty phase with it. I'm no longer hitting the "car" button on the Entune system and Pandora automatically plays so I'm touching the touch screen less and less now, but what really matters in the vehicle is exceptionally pleasing!

One nice little feature that I didn't know about is the door ajar feature. I was walking away from the car and hit the door lock button on the remote. Instead of the beep-beep and flash of lights, I got a prolonged beeeeep. I thought something had broken. I did it again and still got the prolonged beeeeep. I started walking towards the car and noticed that one of the rear passenger doors had not shut all the way! Ah ha! What a nice feature.

--Michael

1 - 8 of 8 Posts