Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 716 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just came across this article. No details on specs, but it says Toyota made the announcement ahead of the LA Auto show.

Edit: Looks like multiple outlets are confirming the same.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Love the teaser.... its a.... RAV4! With impractical fogs that will get replaced with the stock ones!
Nice to see that they will make a PHEV. I wonder how that will impact the trunk space or if they ditch the spare completely and give you just a patch kit. Big reason why we never seriously looked at the Prius Prime was the trunk was so small. This should be good competition for the Outlander PHEV. Unfortunately, based on the other PHEVs, I'm going to guess you will pay a 10k premium in canada for it.

·
Premium Member
6,724 Posts
Supersonic red is a new color for the Rav4, but it's been available in other models in the past, my wife wanted her Prius Prime in SS Red, but we couldn't find one in the area, so went with Blizzard Pearl.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One article is saying that by "most powerful RAV4 to date" Toyota is including the previous V6 model in that comparison, which had 269 hp. It's wild speculation at this point but that would be huge if the PHEV would get that kind of powertrain!

·
Registered
42 Posts
OK. I'm no hybrid expert. I bought my RAV4 Hybrid simply because of it's efficiency all the way around. What does a plug in type offer over the current Hybrid? I've always though plugging in was a nuisance.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK. I'm no hybrid expert. I bought my RAV4 Hybrid simply because of it's efficiency all the way around. What does a plug in type offer over the current Hybrid? I've always though plugging in was a nuisance.
If your commute is within the EV range of the PHEV, you could effectively use no gas as you can drive entirely in EV mode. The ICE would then only kick in if you drive beyond the range of your PHEV battery.

·
Premium Member
6,724 Posts
Roughly 30 miles EV range for one thing, cheap electric rates $.081 kwh here make it a no brainer, we get 130+ mpg around town on the Prius Prime, I have to add fuel stabilizer to the tank in the winter cuz a tank of gas lasts several months in late fall/winter unless the wife takes it on a trip, then she gets 60mpg.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Roughly 30 miles EV range for one thing, cheap electric rates $.081 kwh here make it a no brainer, we get 130+ mpg around town on the Prius Prime, I have to add fuel stabilizer to the tank in the winter cuz a tank of gas lasts several months in late fall/winter unless the wife takes it on a trip, then she gets 60mpg.
Unreal!
Although, the prius prime vs prius is really a different car. The Rav4 PHEV i suspect will cost much more even with government rebates. Would take a number of years to pay off the difference.

·
Premium Member
6,724 Posts
Unreal!
Although, the prius prime vs prius is really a different car. The Rav4 PHEV i suspect will cost much more even with government rebates. Would take a number of years to pay off the difference.
Tis true, we got $4500 tax credit on our fed income tax for the Prime.

·
Premium Member
6,724 Posts
I called Toyota and the Phev is coming out in 2020. It will be revealed at the Auto Show Nov. 20th.
It may be for sale in mid-late 2020, but it's a 2021 model.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Does it require a 220 plug?

1 - 20 of 716 Posts