Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

2141 - 2160 of 2528 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm also concerned the Prime will be lesser than the sum of its parts. We'll have to wait for legitimate reviews from MotorTrend, R&T, and Car & Driver, but I suspect it'll be a somewhat disjointed driving experience with inconsistent power and fuel economy, heavy FWD bias, multiple power sources, and an eCVT gluing it all together.

The Prime was going to be a stop gap for me until pure EV tech improves. I don't feel like I'd be getting good value at this price point.
Well, the Prius Prime is similar but smaller, I think it's glued together pretty well. It does what you expect, around town performance is quite good in electric mode, (I'd say better than in hybrid mode), and it get fantastic mileage. I don't see why the RAV4 should not be similar.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Tough call. Price is only $3k more (after tax credit) than what I am paying for a similarly equipped conventional RAV4h. I reserved a vehicle but didn’t put down a deposit.

The availability (timing & quantity) issue of the Prime is what has me leaning towards staying the course (assuming you can get a Prime for MSRP). My commute is also about 30 miles each way (highway/suburban mix), and while there are chargers at work, there are only two (both taken half the time) and the cost might equal a gallon of gas, let alone the unknown fuel economy when not on battery.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Not really, at least for me. It's just one very, very expensive package. Didn't expect that.

Wouldn't it be more like plug in OR go 0-60 in 5.7s. If you are running around in electric only mode you are likely going to be slower than the regular hybrid to 60mph. Max acceleration runs in hybrid mode will in turn rapidly deplete the battery.

CX-5 goes 0-60 in 6.2s when producing 227hp/310tq. On premium, at the max 250hp/320tq level, not sure, no one has tested it.

I think the CX-5 is worth cross shopping. How long would it take to make up the ~$7k difference in gas savings if you bought the Prime?
6.4s with premium fuel and gas economy is worse then Highlander doesn't sound appealing

·
Registered
53 Posts
A fully loaded XSE Prime at MSRP is $53K OTD with the 10% tax added and slightly more with other fees added. That's $775 a month with $10K down for 60 months. Too crazy for me.

·
Registered
675 Posts
A fully loaded XSE Prime at MSRP is $53K OTD with the 10% tax added and slightly more with other fees added. That's $775 a month with $10K down for 60 months. Too crazy for me.
Put $17.5k down instead since you'll get a tax credit from the government later.

But, yeah ... I don't get why people spend that much on a car. Especially when so much of the added $9000 cost (SE vs loaded XSE) goes toward pure aesthetics (accent lighting!), gimmicks (120V outlets!), or aftermarket upgrades (wireless charging!).

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
To be clear MSRP is on a fully loaded is no more then $49k + tax (OTD varies greatly) then you can subtract 7.5k and a lot of states have other perks for these type of cars, so in my case I could get another $2.5k a total for $10k. Also I would most likely not get that $5.7k package since I don't see huge benefit in it, except weather package so that makes it really roughly $33k MSRP + tax for XSE. which is XLE territory for a hybrid.

Reactions: hopes2

·
Registered
105 Posts
To be clear MSRP is on a fully loaded is no more then $49k + tax (OTD varies greatly) then you can subtract 7.5k and a lot of states have other perks for these type of cars, so in my case I could get another $2.5k a total for $10k. Also I would most likely not get that $5.7k package since I don't see huge benefit in it, except weather package so that makes it really roughly $33k MSRP + tax for XSE. which is XLE territory for a hybrid.
That's a no-brainer in your situation. My state charges extra for EV's. The only thing I want on that $5.7k package is the nicer headlights.

Also, it's 6.2 to 60 when Car & Driver tested the CX-5, and premium is not required for the 320 ft/lb of torque.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Unfortunately I really need the 360 camera because my house has very tight backing in spot. That's really all that I care about but most cars limit the 360 camera to the top trim with expensive packages. The cheapest car with 360 camera close to the RAV4 is the 2020 Hyundai Tucson Ultimate at $34.5K MSRP but gas mileage is terrible and AWD is much slower than the normal RAV4 Hybrid.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Unfortunately I really need the 360 camera because my house has very tight backing in spot. That's really all that I care about but most cars limit the 360 camera to the top trim with expensive packages. The cheapest car with 360 camera close to the RAV4 is the 2020 Hyundai Tucson Ultimate at $34.5K MSRP but gas mileage is terrible and AWD is much slower than the normal RAV4 Hybrid.
I can tell you that I really wanted 360 camera when i bought the 2019 limited but was hugely dissapointed in image quality combined with a small image, I don't expect Prime will be better. 2020 Highlander 360 with 12" screen is awesome however.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I can tell you that I really wanted 360 camera when i bought the 2019 limited but was hugely dissapointed in image quality combined with a small image, I don't expect Prime will be better. 2020 Highlander 360 with 12" screen is awesome however.
A different point of view: I'm very happy with the 360 camera. I just use it for parking and it does the job. I don't need it to take up a lot of the screen or be beautiful.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
A different point of view: I'm very happy with the 360 camera. I just use it for parking and it does the job. I don't need it to take up a lot of the screen or be beautiful.
Sure they worked fine when lane markings are visible and plenty of light. I need to back up in a tight driveway with retaining wall on the side and the side cameras are horrible for that purpose. It's all gray mess blend in together on a small screen especially when it gets dark. You should check out the 12" 360 in in Highlander it's another story.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Any word on Canadian pricing?
just got a reply from my sales manager, there will be none in Canada this year EXCEPT for Kaybec, the rest of canada will take orders in January 2021 with deliveries the first 1/4, this just today, also he had no news on pricing, or where it fits on provincial and federal incentives

·
Registered
53 Posts
Sure they worked fine when lane markings are visible and plenty of light. I need to back up in a tight driveway with retaining wall on the side and the side cameras are horrible for that purpose. It's all gray mess blend in together on a small screen especially when it gets dark. You should check out the 12" 360 in in Highlander it's another story.
That's a good point for night parking. The RAV4 360 camera was adequate for the time that I test drove during the day. Venza might be my next calling if the same 12 inch is used. The Highlander is too large for just two people in the family.

·
Registered
87 Posts
If you have a poorly lit area that you need to see on you 360 camera system, does it matter if you have an 8 or 9 inch screen (Rav4 Prime SE or XSE) or a 12 inch screen (Highlander or Venda) showing “a gray mess.”

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
If you have a poorly lit area that you need to see on you 360 camera system, does it matter if you have an 8 or 9 inch screen (Rav4 Prime SE or XSE) or a 12 inch screen (Highlander or Venda) showing “a gray mess.”
there are several factors such as screen size, resolution and perhaps even better cameras used in Highlander that provide for a much improved experience. It's not even just poor lit area, but even being in a shadow in broad daylight it's difficult to see the curb when parallel parking Rav4. I have used both systems for a while and Highlander is simply better. I did like having front camera however. As much as I would like 360 again in Prime, it's a bit pricey option with a lot of things I don't really care for.

Reactions: Chazz8

·
Registered
68 Posts
6.4s with premium fuel and gas economy is worse then Highlander doesn't sound appealing

I am waiting for the prime pricing a gov rebates to come out fully before I make a final decision. I have been shopping around for about a year now and the CX-5 signature will be my next purchase if the prime does not full satisfy...already turned off by the amount of issues the expensive rav4 has had Not to mention quality downgrade.
I agree, if you are not sure about what you want, take a turbo charged cx-5 for a test drive...

·
Registered
12 Posts
At this price, (plus 50k after taxes for the version you REALLY need),why wouldn't someone just get a Tesla Model Y?? Or even a Model 3 assuming a sedan works. The Y is a superior vehicle for the money...without question! Especially once the standard range comes out for those require a cheaper starting price. Never mind the cost savings for fuel and maintenance per year.

I realize some people would qualify for the tax incentive but even that number hasn't been confirmed. Plus i think the tax rebate won't be around long for Toyota.

People keep talking about the benefit of the 42 mile electric range but in the winter that amount will dwindle...quick. Also, how often will the ICE click on depending on the situation? And once the battery is drained, how will the performance be then? Lots of questions.

I don't know, in my eyes, Tesla is the future and is a full BEV. Purchasing anything other than a BEV at this point is sort of foolish. It looks like Tesla is going to be making some big battery advancements and SOON that will drastically lower the battery production costs and bring it much closer to ICE cost.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yeah, maybe it doesn't make sense for everyone compared to the Model Y, but it will for many. I was going to get the standard hybrid XLE plus weather package before I heard about the Prime. The Prime SE will be cheaper for me than that due to the tax incentives. I'm comparing a base Prime SE at $27,720 ($39,220MSRP minus $7500 federal + $4000 CO state) with a Model Y AWD LR at $48,990 ($52,990 minus $4000 CO state incentive only). I get it - if you're planning to load the Prime up, the prices become a lot more comparable, but that's a lot of stuff I don't really need, leaving a $21,270 difference...

Toyota still has plenty of federal tax credits remaining, and currently only the Prius Prime qualifies, so they're probably not going very fast right now.

I love the Model Y, but it doesn't make sense for everyone that is considering the RAV4 even at the same price. I spend a lot of time exploring the desert southwest camping, trail running, hiking, doing photography, and I've tried to think of ways to make even the longest range BEVs work for that, but you can't yet (We already have a 200+ mile range EV in the household, so I know exactly what that entails). The fast charge infrastructure doesn't extend far from major highways and large cities.

2141 - 2160 of 2528 Posts