Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

2141 - 2144 of 2144 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm also concerned the Prime will be lesser than the sum of its parts. We'll have to wait for legitimate reviews from MotorTrend, R&T, and Car & Driver, but I suspect it'll be a somewhat disjointed driving experience with inconsistent power and fuel economy, heavy FWD bias, multiple power sources, and an eCVT gluing it all together.

The Prime was going to be a stop gap for me until pure EV tech improves. I don't feel like I'd be getting good value at this price point.
Well, the Prius Prime is similar but smaller, I think it's glued together pretty well. It does what you expect, around town performance is quite good in electric mode, (I'd say better than in hybrid mode), and it get fantastic mileage. I don't see why the RAV4 should not be similar.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Tough call. Price is only $3k more (after tax credit) than what I am paying for a similarly equipped conventional RAV4h. I reserved a vehicle but didn’t put down a deposit.

The availability (timing & quantity) issue of the Prime is what has me leaning towards staying the course (assuming you can get a Prime for MSRP). My commute is also about 30 miles each way (highway/suburban mix), and while there are chargers at work, there are only two (both taken half the time) and the cost might equal a gallon of gas, let alone the unknown fuel economy when not on battery.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Not really, at least for me. It's just one very, very expensive package. Didn't expect that.

Wouldn't it be more like plug in OR go 0-60 in 5.7s. If you are running around in electric only mode you are likely going to be slower than the regular hybrid to 60mph. Max acceleration runs in hybrid mode will in turn rapidly deplete the battery.

CX-5 goes 0-60 in 6.2s when producing 227hp/310tq. On premium, at the max 250hp/320tq level, not sure, no one has tested it.

I think the CX-5 is worth cross shopping. How long would it take to make up the ~$7k difference in gas savings if you bought the Prime?
6.4s with premium fuel and gas economy is worse then Highlander doesn't sound appealing

2141 - 2144 of 2144 Posts