Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

2481 - 2500 of 2646 Posts

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
What happened to the Toyota solid state battery announcement?
That was suppose to happen at the Olympics.
Olympics, if weren't rescheduled for 2021, would not be happening for another month.

·
Registered
87 Posts
My exact vehicle is now made and journey to Finland has start 2 days ago from Nagoya port Japan. 16.7 it will be at Suez kanal port and maybe that 20.8.2020 its going to be under my ass.

From my Toyota portal I got an message:

Left the factory
Toyota City (Aichi Prefecture), JAPAN
Ready to go!

The car is now built and its journey to you is in its infancy. The car has been tested and inspected at all stages of manufacture: in fact, it has undergone over 2,000 quality inspections! Among other things, we have immersed the car in 900 liters of water to make sure it is watertight (the water is, of course, recycled after the tests). In addition, we have fine-tuned the engine, brakes and steering and gone through the car completely before it left the factory. The car has passed all the tests and will next be transported to our European logistics center.”

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Any truth to this story???

·
Registered
63 Posts
Toyota is a downer. :)

Toyota's strategy is far more realistic. Tesla is an expensive fad right now (who's stock price will crash hard at some point, the fundamentals don't support it). I have no doubt tesla will continue to make a dent in LUXURY car sales (which take a dip during recessions), but until they can make a car that's both as reliable and as cheap to buy and drive as a corolla, I don't think toyota will lose it's spot as number 1 anytime soon.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Toyota's strategy is far more realistic. Tesla is an expensive fad right now (who's stock price will crash hard at some point, the fundamentals don't support it). I have no doubt tesla will continue to make a dent in LUXURY car sales (which take a dip during recessions), but until they can make a car that's both as reliable and as cheap to buy and drive as a corolla, I don't think toyota will lose it's spot as number 1 anytime soon.
What #1 spot is that? Corolla is far behind all trucks and SUVs.

www.motor1.com/features/358016/20-bestselling-vehicles-2019/amp/

Also average price of new car purchase happened to be the price of Tesla Model3 so they are clearly not going after luxury sales.

Toyota's current strategy is just milking hybrid tech in everything new which is ok today but tomorrow we want plug ins and they are stalling with this pathetic roll out of Prime...

Reactions: Woodi

·
Registered
11 Posts
Also average price of new car purchase happened to be the price of Tesla Model3 so they are clearly not going after luxury sales.
You can't compare the average of ALL other cars to ONE of Tesla's cars, especially the cheapest - that's apples and oranges. Compare average of all other cars to average of all Tesla vehicles, and you'll see that yes, they're absolutely going after luxury sales at this point.

The "all other cars" equivalent to a model 3 (as in it's on the low end of the spectrum) would be a Corolla or a Civic, IMO. Big difference in price there.

·
Registered
63 Posts
What #1 spot is that? Corolla is far behind all trucks and SUVs.

www.motor1.com/features/358016/20-bestselling-vehicles-2019/amp/

Toyota's current strategy is just milking hybrid tech in everything new which is ok today but tomorrow we want plug ins and they are stalling with this pathetic roll out of Prime...
Like I said, number 1. it's foolish and overly speculative to think Tesla is worth more than toyota.

While the average new car purchase may be the same price as a model 3, most people paying that price are getting a hell of a lot more "car" (SUV/Truck/Minivan/etc.) for that money than a small sedan that can't go more than 300 miles very effectively.

I still think electric cars have a bright future in the world, but I don't think that's going to be reality for another 10ish years, which is why most auto manufacturers haven't made profitable switches to electric yet. I think Toyota's strategy with hybrids and PHEV first is smart, it's the best way to keep total cost of ownership low.

·
Registered
690 Posts

·
Registered
1,358 Posts

Summary: Toyota will produce 5000 units in 2020, ramping up to 20,000/yr in early 2021.

Considering we're halfway through the year, that's roughly double the production next year.
Ok coronovirus etc... 5k this year... forgivable, but 20k for entire next year... They are still stuck in stone age with this tech or just not willing to give customers what they really want. Should seek help from Tesla like they did with original Rav4 EV. Tesla was doing 20k+ per month for a while now.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Build Your Own Toyota (RAV4 Prime) is up.
I had to change my ZIP code from Colorado to California to get it to let me actually build one. It tells me they aren't available in my area... I hope that's just a temporary thing since all the dealers here said they are getting at least a few some time this year.

2481 - 2500 of 2646 Posts