Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1101 - 1120 of 1262 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
It’s faster than you think. While not as fast as a gas station assuming there is no wait, it’s definitely liveable.

here is a graphic of someone that did a test. I would probably run between 10-60% in terms of supercharging if time was an issue.

View attachment 148549
Very livable. 4 minutes for 60 miles? I feel that scenario can get me home easily for most situations.

·
Registered
691 Posts
And most of those times are well within the time I allot for a interstate run stop. (currently pay for fuel, insert nozzle, wash windshield, wait for full, disconnect, wait for receipt, record odometer reading for fuelly use, move car to parking spot, restroom break, wash hands, wait for spouse, order refreshments, wait for refreshments, consume refreshments, wait for spouse, wander out to car)

·
Registered
601 Posts
Please don't chop my head off, but had a conversation with my local dealer a few minutes ago and was told the new Prime base model (SE) would be around 52 000$ CND and the XSE would be around 55 000$ CND, these are MSRP. This is what a sale person told me according to a meeting they had recently. I have no way of confirming this information but he's been quite accurate before.

If these price are true, I sure hope our EV rebate are not going away in Canada or else I don't see them selling well.. A regular hybrid XSE has an MSRP of 41 000$ cnd. Seems like a HUGE premium for the prime. We however get close to 13 000$ back from gov credit though..

Calculating at MSRP:

Hybrid XSE = 41 000$ + 15% taxes = 47 150$
Prime XSE = 55 000$ + 15% taxes = 63 250$ - 13 000$ credit = 50 250$

a 3100$ premium for the plug-in after credit.

If these are truly the price, I personally afford high 40k for a rav4.

ONCE AGAIN, THESE ARE NOT OFFICIAL ON THE TOYOTA SITE. IT COMES FROM A SALES PERSON.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Please don't chop my head off, but had a conversation with my local dealer a few minutes ago and was told the new Prime base model (SE) would be around 52 000$ CND and the XSE would be around 55 000$ CND, these are MSRP. This is what a sale person told me according to a meeting they had recently. I have no way of confirming this information but he's been quite accurate before.

If these price are true, I sure hope our EV rebate are not going away in Canada or else I don't see them selling well.. A regular hybrid XSE has an MSRP of 41 000$ cnd. Seems like a HUGE premium for the prime. We however get close to 13 000$ back from gov credit though..

Calculating at MSRP:

ONCE AGAIN, THESE ARE NOT OFFICIAL ON THE TOYOTA SITE. IT COMES FROM A SALES PERSON.
You should be comparing the Hybrid XSE to the Prime SE, I think. Those are much closer in options.

Prime SE = 52 000$ + 15% taxes = 59 800 - 13 000$ credit = 46 800$

That makes the Prime slightly cheaper.

Edit: from the press release, the Prime SE has 18" wheels, heated seats, powered driver's seat, 7" MID, bind spot monitor, leather steering wheel, red stitching, power liftgate, and 8" infotainment display, with optional moonroof/cold weather package. That's pretty close to the Hybrid XSE, with the exception of the moonroof. I think the most fair comparison would be the Prime SE with that package, compared to the Hybrid XSE with the cold weather package ... once we have full pricing, that is.

·
Registered
760 Posts

Calculating at MSRP:

XSE Hybrid doesn't match XSE Prime features, Hybrid Limited should be compared. How much is it?

·
Registered
601 Posts
XSE Hybrid doesn't match XSE Prime features, Hybrid Limited should be compared. How much is it?
Perhaps in Canada we getting a different version than in the US?

I doubt we are getting a Prime XSE that is geared like a limited in Canada. The Hybrid Limited is 45 120$ MSRP.

Hell, we don't even have pano sunroof in Canada on any trim lol.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Perhaps in Canada we getting a different version than in the US?

I doubt we are getting a Prime XSE that is geared like a limited in Canada. The Hybrid Limited is 45 120$ MSRP.

Hell, we don't even have pano sunroof in Canada on any trim lol.
pano sunroof aside what else you are not getting in your market? Prime XSE has Limited features and more for US

·
Registered
140 Posts
And most of those times are well within the time I allot for a interstate run stop.
Easily, I think. Again, it's meant to just get you to your destination where you can (in theory) charge again, even if only a 120V 15A circuit (standard household outlet...)

I could see it getting monotonous over a cross-country road trip. But it doesn't seem all that unreasonable is what I'm getting at - especially if you keep the car for 10+ years...

·
Registered
10 Posts

Calculating at MSRP:

I was chatting with a Sales Rep here in BC over the weekend and he was saying the "talk in the office" is that they think the RAV4 Prime models will go for about $5000.00 more than the current 2020 RAV4 Hybrid, he says they really don't know though.

You also got to wonder how the announcement around the new Prime is going to affect sales of the current version.

In any event, maybe there will be some deals on the 2020's when the Primes are released...

Personally, I am hoping to purchase a Prime, loaded, if they are not out of my budget, failing that, I will pick up a 2020 Limited Hybrid.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I was recently at largest dealership in the state and they said they are not even ready to take preorder deposit now or getting me on the wait list. They did take my info and said I will be first to know. They also said it will be MSRP price without knowing what it is.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I was chatting with a Sales Rep here in BC over the weekend and he was saying the "talk in the office" is that they think the RAV4 Prime models will go for about $5000.00 more than the current 2020 RAV4 Hybrid, he says they really don't know though.

You also got to wonder how the announcement around the new Prime is going to affect sales of the current version.
Well, here are some statistics for USA sales of new Prius models over seven years:

Year ............standard Prius ............ Prius Prime
2012 .................. 147507 ...................... 12750
2013 .................. 145172 ...................... 12088
2014 .................. 122776 ....................... 13263
2015 .................. 113829 ........................ 4191 [production of first-gen PHEV ended June 2015]
2016 ................... 98863 ......................... 2474
2017 ................... 65630 ....................... 19951
2018 ................... 49534 ....................... 27595

...from carsalesbase.com and wikipedia...

So while there was a decrease in standard Prius hybrids from 2012 onwards, there is not a direct correlation between the number of Prius Primes sold; while some standard Prius owners were buying Primes, and some people looking to buy a Prius for the first time may have opted for the Prime, many/most people who were no longer buying the standard Prius obviously were just buying other non-Prius vehicles -- to account for the decline in the standard hybrid versions over the past decade. So the Prime isn't the main reason for the standard hybrid drop in sales.

What is interesting in the 2018 stats is that the Prime Prius sold well over half the number of the standard hybrid Prius for the first time. But the Prius doesn't have a gas-only model, right? So one can only conjecture sales of RAV4 Prime vs. RAV4 hybrid; it will be interesting to see how sales of the ICE-only RAV4 will fare over the next couple of years, by comparison.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Q: Does the Prius Prime run the gas engine on every drive? Just curious about how Prime works when you just want to make a short drive to drop off/pick up kids at school.

1101 - 1120 of 1262 Posts