Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1881 - 1900 of 1976 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
We might not have to decide. The release will most likely get pushed back a bit, and people that were buyers a few weeks ago may also decide to stretch out their current ride. Next year we might see Primes at a decent price AND still have the $7,500 intact. ?

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
We will see, don't know the price yet. If it will be too much i might pick up 2021 Seltos SX Turbo. For under 30k seems like a great looking bang.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Not a bad looking car. Sounds like it shares a drivetrain with the Kona which is surprisingly fun to drive in turbo form.
It's larger then Kona which I found a bit small. 0-60 is 6.5 which is on par with something like Chevy Bolt and decent mpgs. I will wait until we have official pricing for Prime to make the decision. For me if it's 10k or more difference then it will be tough to justify going with Prime.

·
Registered
58 Posts
175hp, on that SX though...eew. I'm daily driving a Subaru Impreza non-turbo and it has 148hp. It is a huge turd. So while others have scoffed at saying HP isnt a factor for purchase, it sure as heck peaked my interest.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Correct, investing always makes more sense, especially when the market is down. With the way things are shaping up, my warm and fuzzy from getting a new car could easily be offset by a 401k that rebounds greater than it otherwise would. I have a CX-5 that has been completely trouble free. No reason I can't stretch that for another year and still potentially get a Prime and the $7,500. The Prime purchase only makes sense if it comes with the tax benefit though.
My warm and fuzzy from getting a new car fell into the toilet months ago. Thanks Toyo!
And sadly, my 401k has to drop a bunch to rebound greater than it otherwise would.

·
Registered
70 Posts
175hp, on that SX though...eew. I'm daily driving a Subaru Impreza non-turbo and it has 148hp. It is a huge turd. So while others have scoffed at saying HP isnt a factor for purchase, it sure as heck peaked my interest.
I'm pretty sure that 175hp is at the wheels. In the Kona, that drivetrain is loads more powerful than the 175 indicates. It's worth a test drive.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Not that I buy cars for resale value, but KIAs tank hard after just 2 years. I have a friend who bought a 2015 Optima SXL Turbo and that thing became worthless real quick. I realize all cars drop a lot in their first couple years, but it seems to hit KIAs hard, specifically.

·
Registered
64 Posts
It's larger then Kona which I found a bit small. 0-60 is 6.5 which is on par with something like Chevy Bolt and decent mpgs. I will wait until we have official pricing for Prime to make the decision. For me if it's 10k or more difference then it will be tough to justify going with Prime.
I like the Seltos as well. Hyundai/Kia seems to be doing a really good job as of late.

The Seltos SX tops out at ~$30k. So if the Prime is more than $40k after the rebate you are out?

I don’t think those two models are analogous at all.

The 152 hp version of the Impreza does 0-60 in 9.1s and gets through the ¼ mile in 17.4s @ 84 mph. It weighs in at ~3200 lbs. I suspect the Subaru’s transmission can also shoulder a big chunk of the blame for the poor performance.

The Seltos XS has +23 hp and +50 tq. It comes in at a little under 3300 lbs. But it has a vastly superior (at least as far as performance goes) dual clutch transmission. It improves on the Impreza’s 0-60 time by 2.5s and through the ¼ mile its 2.1s quicker traveling 7mph faster.

Even in the more real world applicable 5-60 mph measure the Seltos SX is almost 3 seconds quicker.

The performance difference between these models is night and day.

Not that I buy cars for resale value, but KIAs tank hard after just 2 years. I have a friend who bought a 2015 Optima SXL Turbo and that thing became worthless real quick. I realize all cars drop a lot in their first couple years, but it seems to hit KIAs hard, specifically.
One of the biggest detractors here is that the 10 yr /100k warranty is not transferable to the second owner.

But I think it all shakes out if you plan on keeping the vehicle for a much greater duration. If you need to get into the "latest and greatest" every two years maybe just skip the Korean brands altogether.

·
Registered
58 Posts
While it is obvious that the similarly weighted vehicle with more hp/tq will be faster, my point really was surrounding the hp rating of the R4P as a big motivating factor for my next purchase. I already had my eyes on a R4H, but with the Prime and its tax credit, it seems like a no brainer.

My other car is a '97 Eclipse GSX. For those who dont know, it's turbocharged and all wheel drive. When I want a "0-60" or "1/4 mile time" car, I can drive that. (Heavily modified heh, hence my alias)

Although I know the Rav is a box on wheels, heavier, and the opposite of aerodynamic, the SX having a 6.6s 0-60 is decently close to the Prime's 5.8. I'd want to see real world times of that SX.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I like the Seltos as well. Hyundai/Kia seems to be doing a really good job as of late.

The Seltos SX tops out at ~$30k. So if the Prime is more than $40k after the rebate you are out?
We'll see where this ordeal goes...still probably 6 months away from Prime release. Could buy something cheaper like Seltos SX, invest 10k difference in stock market. Market rebounds in a few years and with 10k invested it will cover a cost of Prime :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
While it is obvious that the similarly weighted vehicle with more hp/tq will be faster, my point really was surrounding the hp rating of the R4P as a big motivating factor for my next purchase. I already had my eyes on a R4H, but with the Prime and its tax credit, it seems like a no brainer.

My other car is a '97 Eclipse GSX. For those who dont know, it's turbocharged and all wheel drive. When I want a "0-60" or "1/4 mile time" car, I can drive that. (Heavily modified heh, hence my alias)

Although I know the Rav is a box on wheels, heavier, and the opposite of aerodynamic, the SX having a 6.6s 0-60 is decently close to the Prime's 5.8. I'd want to see real world times of that SX.
If performance is the biggest factor for you then I would want to see "real world" times for all of the models I was considering. The Seltos's quoted time is from an independent magazine test. The 5.8 time is just from Toyota. Though manufacturer's estimates tend to be conservative more often than not (the RAV4 Hybrid proved to be quicker than Toyota stated it would be).

Performance is also a big factor for me as well. But I am not willing to pay thousands of dollars more just to get to 60 mph 0.8s quicker. Paying extra for a larger vehicle with additional amenities is a more fair proposition. In this example I would just tune the Seltos.

·
Registered
58 Posts
That's a fair point. I struggle to drive a car that has Killed In Action as a brand name. I had previously considered a forte before getting my Impreza. I will say my friend's Kia has been reliable for the most part, so no complaints there. Although, now that he has 100+k on the clock, it is starting to eat oil.

·
Registered
64 Posts
That's a fair point. I struggle to drive a car that has Killed In Action as a brand name. I had previously considered a forte before getting my Impreza. I will say my friend's Kia has been reliable for the most part, so no complaints there. Although, now that he has 100+k on the clock, it is starting to eat oil.
By no means am I telling you to dump the Prime and buy a Seltos. But I think proper due diligence might include looking at both.

What I would suggest to all of us who get caught up in horsepower ratings, acceleration times, etc. (myself included) is to take a step back and make as rationale a buying decision as one can when buying a depreciating asset. Don't give Toyota (or any manufacturer) your hard earned money for something not worth what they are charging.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Kia / Hyundai can sell at close to the big brands up front by offering the 100K mile warranty. However the warranty does not transfer to a second owner like most OEM's do. Once sold it goes to 5/60K - like everyone else - so its really gimmicky to me - essentially there building the extended warranty price in, but you can't cancel or transfer it.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Kia / Hyundai can sell at close to the big brands up front by offering the 100K mile warranty. However the warranty does not transfer to a second owner like most OEM's do. Once sold it goes to 5/60K - like everyone else - so its really gimmicky to me - essentially there building the extended warranty price in, but you can't cancel or transfer it.
You got it confused, Kia/Hyundai "100k warranty" is just a powertrain warranty which only covers engine, transmission, and drivetrain. The likelihood of any of that failing on you is very minimal (unless it's a Subaru or Nissan which CVT transmission give out even during full warranty) So that "100k" is really a gimmick here because that works great in marketing for gullible people but in reality it's useless. The regular warranty is 5/60k which is longer then Toyota and is fully transferable.

·
Registered
64 Posts
You got it confused, Kia/Hyundai "100k warranty" is just a powertrain warranty which only covers engine, transmission, and drivetrain. The likelihood of any of that failing on you is very minimal (unless it's a Subaru or Nissan which CVT transmission give out even during full warranty) So that "100k" is really a gimmick here because that works great in marketing for gullible people but in reality it's useless. The regular warranty is 5/60k which is longer then Toyota and is fully transferable.
The Korean duo and Mitsubishi both do the same thing. Their warranties are the same duration and both powertrain warranties get cut short if the title changes hands. No other manufacturer does that, even the ones with powertrain warranties longer than 5/60. Even though powertrain issues may be relatively infrequent the average consumer fears catastrophic transmission and engine failure the most. Fear can both help and hurt sales, just ask charmin.

Resale value is based, in a large part, on reputation. The reason the price of Kia's tank is because of the Kia Sephia. That turd set the standard for how the brand is viewed to this day, even in the face of seemingly reliable and well liked current products.

·
Registered
70 Posts
It's definitely something to take into consideration. I wouldn't pay anywhere near MSRP for a Hyundai/KIA, knowing the hit you'd take on the back end. As onther post'er mentioned, they make more sense if you're keeping them longer.

1881 - 1900 of 1976 Posts