Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1901 - 1920 of 1976 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hahaha, yes, sir. I love my DSM. Had her just over 15 years. If I didnt have it, I'd be looking in sports car land likely or maybe 'luxury SUV' land rather than econobox with power land haha.

·
Registered
169 Posts
If dont want power more than enough, just buy Toyota Prime. No turbos. 176 hp + stout electric motor. Thats mild compromis. Volvo has 2,0 L super turbo with 340 hp + lausy electic motor and small battery . If you are too lazy to charge, prime will get on without charging with same mpg as normal hybrid. Power comes as natural in plug ins. You need both sides with normal power or you dont like driving those.
I've been saying for years that I predict that new sales of PHEVs will out-number new sales of BEVs for much of this coming decade. PHEVs are more complex, yes, than ICE-only vehicles and electric-only vehicles, but they give the masses a lot of choice -- to drive in all-electric mode much/most of the time, but also to have that flexibility to drive long distances without charging (alleviating the concerns about public-charging infrastructure). Plus, battery packs in PHEVs can be a lot smaller (so, like 17.8 kWh as rumored for the RAV4 Prime, vs. 100 kWh for some BEVs), meaning notably cheaper costs as well as helping automakers with the significant problem of not having enough batteries available for EVs right now -- so automakers can produce several PHEVs with the battery packs that a BEV would require. The masses aren't ready for BEVs yet, but they know that they are coming, and the PHEV will serve as a "comfortable" transition from ICEV to BEV over the next decade or two. Thus, I think that Toyota's "Prime" PHEV concept will move from the Prius and RAV4 into many/most of it's other models in the next few years -- and if sales of Primes are good, other automakers will try following Toyota's lead. The RAV4 Prime should become the best-selling PHEV in the world overnight, once it's actually out. (And yes, Volvo PHEVs are a joke because of how low their all-electric range is, vs. how expensive they are to buy.)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Still no news about any plant shutdowns in Japan, which is where the Rav4 Prime will be produced initially.
The supply chain for them will slow them down, not just the actual factory’s that build them. I would imagine demand for them will drop as the portfolio’s of many potential buyers have plummeted, not to mention many will lose their jobs, or their significant other’s lost jobs. This is an unprecedented situation after all, for those that can still make a purchase might see better interest rates! I know I still have a job, but my portfolio is down 40%...maybe pushing the purchase to next year and dragging another year out of the old tacoma.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Yes, I imagine that the auto industry is going to take a horrendous hit, as we are moving into a worldwide recession/depression, economically. Hopefully Toyota will lower the prices on the RAV4 Prime, as a result. If Toyota would also offer zero-percent financing, it would be even better.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yes, I imagine that the auto industry is going to take a horrendous hit, as we are moving into a worldwide recession/depression, economically. Hopefully Toyota will lower the prices on the RAV4 Prime, as a result. If Toyota would also offer zero-percent financing, it would be even better.
I have a feeling they will start off with zero percent financing before they drop pricing on any vehicle.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have a feeling they will start off with zero percent financing before they drop pricing on any vehicle.
My point is that there IS no pricing on the RAV4 Prime yet. So they still have a chance to lower whatever MSRP they are currently considering (before announcing what it will be), given the world economy right now. I don't expect them to lower the MSRP once it has been publicly announced.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My point is that there IS no pricing on the RAV4 Prime yet. So they still have a chance to lower whatever MSRP they are currently considering (before announcing what it will be), given the world economy right now. I don't expect them to lower the MSRP once it has been publicly announced.
I’m pretty sure the prices will be aligned with the current models out right now. They can’t make it too affordable or heavily discount the vehicle and hurt their own sales of the hybrid or regular RAV4.
If the automotive industry does take a huge hit, they will just give the vehicles for 0% APR financing along with the government rebates. This way the 0% can be applied to their other models such as the hybrid and it won’t hurt the sales of those models.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’m pretty sure the prices will be aligned with the current models out right now. They can’t make it too affordable or heavily discount the vehicle and hurt their own sales of the hybrid or regular RAV4.
If the automotive industry does take a huge hit, they will just give the vehicles for 0% APR financing along with the government rebates. This way the 0% can be applied to their other models such as the hybrid and it won’t hurt the sales of those models.
I really hope the 0% comes true. Their current rates are TERRIBLE. It's far cheaper to put this on a HELOC at 2.95% - maybe even less if BOC keeps lowering interest rates.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I was thinking last years model prime(looking back from next year) will be a steal next year....! Who knows in this crazy economy, oil keeps tanking and just when you think your gold stocks will fly high...they plummet! heh

1901 - 1920 of 1976 Posts