Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Who's the primary driver? Male or female?

• Male

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Female

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my Rav4 a few weeks back, but a big reason I held off on buying it was that it has a history of being a chick car. The 2006 is bigger, larger, more powerful, and I love it to death, but I still kinda wish it didn't have a Rav4 label on it. I have yet to see another guy drive a 2006 Rav4 here in Vegas, so the stereotype has some basis in reality. Anyway, just wanted to put up a quick poll.

·
Registered
344 Posts
This topic comes up over and over again year after year. Isn't it a moot point by now? :roll:

I should have snapped a picture of the guy who used the ATM after me on Friday night. This burly guy with a shaved head, tank top, muscular (probably without tattoos, but I'm not sure) had an all black RAV4.3. At first glance I thought the thing was a Highlander/Kluger or Lexus SUV that had been lowered. That was before I noticed the RAV4 badging and tail lights. :roll:

Everybody drives RAVs--old, young, and middle aged people; men, women; tall and short folks.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just joined the Rav Club, so I'm unaware if this discussion's been had before among Rav4 owners. I've definitely had this discussion with other people prior to me buying one. There are just certain cars that seem to be favored by women. New Beetle. Miata. But this discussion and poll is specifically geared toward the 4.3's. I read in one of the 4.3's initial reviews that somebody from Toyota corporate said they made a concerted effort to make this version more male friendly, both in the design and in the marketing. Probably why they released the V6 so quickly to the car mag's back in Nov. of last year. Target demo for Car and Driver, Road and Track, Motor Trend.. usually men. Most of the commercials I've seen featuring the Rav has had a male driver. Coincidence?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'll take my 2006 "chick car" with its 268 hp V6, 18" wheels, 20+ mpg, storage space convenience, and carlike agility and handling over other lower powered, manual transmission "manly" cars.

C

·
0 Posts
What's wrong with a chick car?

Is anyone watching the Indy 500?

Go Danica!

·
Registered
760 Posts
Chick car………well bring on the chicks! Sweet, another added feature :wink:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Re: RAV4 Poll and Debate - Is it still a chick car?

swapmeet said:
I just got my RAV4 a few weeks back, but a big reason I held off on buying it was that it has a history of being a chick car. The 2006 is bigger, larger, more powerful, and I love it to death, but I still kinda wish it didn't have a RAV4 label on it. I have yet to see another guy drive a 2006 RAV4 here in Vegas, so the stereotype has some basis in reality. Anyway, just wanted to put up a quick poll.

Get ready for another guy driving a "girly" White Sport 4WD V6 in Vegas come March, thats when I PCS there from NM. :D

I've never heard of it being a chick car but I can see the arguement, its tiny and dare I say "cute".

T

·
0 Posts
I have my RAV4 for 3 days now. LOVE IT! Wow! I had an extremely manly Dodge Durango that I traded in for the RAV4. This is a big adjustment. Still, it is a great vehicle.

The reason the 2006 RAV4 is not a chick car and is a manly vehicle over the previous years is because size matters. (LOL)

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Naw, it's not a chick car, it's "Your Father's Toyota". Just took my my first trip, and as I expected it's a highway cruiser - very comfortable, the engine is soooo relaxed at highway speeds, and it's tough to keep it below 80 mph on the intersates. Very enjoyable trip.:D

OC

·
Registered
422 Posts
nouse4aname said:
It's even more of a chick car now. They dropped the manual transmission.
Hey now, watch that! :lol:

As a chick who hasn't driven anything but manual for 20+ years, I wouldn't characterize dropping the manual as making it a chick car. My HUSBAND has an auto (the 4Runner), I don't, and hope not to ever have one. (Although I've gotta say I drove a Camry with that V6 and it IS tempting...would be even more tempting with a 6 speed manual though. :twisted: )

I would say dropping the manual makes it more of a lazy or uninvolved driver's car, although that's probably not entirely fair either because I know that there are some people who do have valid reasons for not wanting manual.

I have never thought of the Rav, in any of its versions, as a chick car. I see them as equal opportunity vehicles. They're cool, quick, practical, rugged, etc. Everyone can appreciate those things.

BTW, speaking of the 4Runner, why didn't anyone say it had become a chick's car when they dropped the manual on the 4Runner (YEARS before they dropped it on the Rav)? :p

Becky

·
Registered
264 Posts
RAV4.3 is not a "chick's car" just because MT is not offered. One has to be a glutton for punishment to have MT as a daily driver around so. Cal. True, most 4.2 drivers ("so cute") I know are women but Toyota is obviously trying to win over more male drivers with the 4.3, esp. with the V6. They sure convinced me!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
264 Posts
Yeah, a lot of chicks are checking my RAV out! :lol:

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Becky J. said:
I would say dropping the manual makes it more of a lazy or uninvolved driver's car,
Damn skippy.

although that's probably not entirely fair either because I know that there are some people who do have valid reasons for not wanting manual.
Only one I can think of is a bad arm or leg. Despite the common misconception, manuals are better in traffic if anything.

I have never thought of the RAV, in any of its versions, as a chick car. I see them as equal opportunity vehicles. They're cool, quick, practical, rugged, etc. Everyone can appreciate those things.
Well there's definitely something feminine about them. The prior models have had 2-1 ratios of female drivers to males.

BTW, speaking of the 4Runner, why didn't anyone say it had become a chick's car when they dropped the manual on the 4Runner (YEARS before they dropped it on the RAV)? :p
Mostly see chicks driving 4Runners too, heck, SUVs in general. Even Hummers.

D

·
0 Posts
We bought the Rav4-V6 for my wife, to replace a 2001 Accord V6 she drives to work.

I drive a 1999 Dodge Dakota V8 pickup truck (53,000 actual miles) back and forth to work. Can't afford to drive it any where else, uses too much gas.

Of coarse, when we're both in the Rav4, I do the drivin'. :twisted:

·
Registered
270 Posts
Yea me too, it is my wife's car ( I plan on getting a Tundra or Tacoma ) but when we are together I drive. :wink:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
DittoDude said:
We bought the RAV4-V6 for my wife, to replace a 2001 Accord V6 she drives to work.

I drive a 1999 Dodge Dakota V8 pickup truck (53,000 actual miles) back and forth to work. Can't afford to drive it any where else, uses too much gas.

Of coarse, when we're both in the RAV4, I do the drivin'. :twisted:
A big reason I qualified the poll with "primary driver." I realize the Rav4 is a great second car (it makes a great primary car too), so I wanted to see if guys are buying them for the misses' even though they enjoy driving it themselves.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I (male) am the primary driver of my 2006 RAV4.

Regarding manual vs. automatic, I'd prefer a manual , but based on the fact that my wife can, but won’t drive a manual, I'd only get an automatic so if I have to use the other car, she will drive the car I drive.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts