Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
61 - 81 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just wanted to share my buying experience being in Lower Mainland Vancouver.

In May 2020 I put a deposit down on a White R4P XSE at the largest Lower Mainland Vancouver Toyota dealership (I won't name names but you can probably figure it out). They never gave any written or typed confirmation but rather the confirmation was a via written email from one of their sales advisors. I had also referred a friend who put his name down for the same color and trim the next day.

No communication for about a year but in May 2021 they informed me that my vehicle had arrived and they were receiving about 30 a month from Canada's Toyota dealership who had been passing them excess vehicles. My friend was in a more dire situation than me to receive the vehicle as he was driving a v8 so I asked the sales advisor if my friend could have it first and if that were the case if mine would arrive shortly? The sales advisor said that my friend is exactly after me in the line for the R4P XSE in white (they have waitlists for specific colors and trims) and if I swapped with him then mine would be there next month and I was guaranteed next in line. Keep in mind I would have never swapped if I was not told this.

The month after I the sales advisor informed me that I Toyota Canada had issued a microchip shortage and my vehicle was delayed. I would have to play it by ear every month but I was still next in line for the R4P XSE white guaranteed.

For a full year I am asking him for updates every month regarding the status and was told that they were receiving nothing. I'm pretty sure that I was being annoying at this point even though he should have been proactively updating me monthly. During this time he offered me sell me two used white R4P XSE's at 70k. Pretty sure he was mocking me at this point as I was told multiple times that I was next in line. Why would it used for 70k when I was told I was next and it would be new for 54k all in. There was also one point in this year that I had messaged asking if he received any updates regarding the vehicle to let me know. He responds back with, "Please!". This was not only rude but very unprofessional.

Fast forward to May 2022 where I had been asking him for updates pretty much once a month for the last year. I was told that they were receiving 0 R4P's. Not 0 R4P's in white but 0 period even though I have been seeing more and more on the road and other dealerships have told me that they are getting a few each month but somehow the largest dealership in BC wasn't allocated any. Things are fishy at this point as I have also been hearing that some shadiness was going on. I won't say what but those who are aware of the market know what they are. I had called and used the chat system to fact check the sales advisor and it turns out they the dealership has been receiving a few every month. At this point I'm livid as I may have been lied to, mocked and have lost money because I pulled money out of investments as I was told the vehicle could be here any day now. To add, because of this I also didn't sign up for any other vehicle waitlists until later on.

This is when I wrote an email to all the managers and higher ups within the dealership explaining my story and the damage that the sales advisor had done. I immediately received an email from the GM saying that he will launch an investigation. The following week the Sales GM called me with an update. Turns out I was not next in line for the R4P XSE and was lied to. I was high up on the list but he refused to say how high. He refused to acknowledge that I was lied to in any way and promised that he would call me monthly with an update and that I wouldn't have to deal with the sales advisor. I also asked if I was open to any trim and color if it would increase my chances of getting the vehicle. The Sales GM said no. And of course they would never admit any wrongdoing as it would give me leverage to haggle. I also launched a complaint to Toyota Canada. The best part is I had everything in writing. The sales advisor is the type of dumbass that would lie to a customer and have it all in writing.

2 months pass and it's June. I haven't heard back from the sales GM. I call the Sales GM for an update and was told that they have been receiving very few and none in white XSE. He then said if I was open to receiving any R4P then I could potentially receive one earlier. I then asked why he didn't let me do this when I asked a few months ago. He started to backpedal and basically said things change over time which is a complete load of shit.

Exactly 1 month later he offers me two R4P's. Either a silver XSE or silver Technology Package. I immediately accepted the XSE. Paid a 2k price increase compared to 2021 and lost money due to pulled investments during the extra year. Something that I had expressed but they refused to even acknowledge or rectify. Not to mention the potential gas savings.

Upon pickup at the very end one of the managers pulls me aside and tries to pressure me into giving a good review on the Toyota Canada survey that I would be receiving. Specifically mentioning the performance of the sales advisor that lied to me but again never admitting any wrongdoing. He said anything less than a 10 is a 0 to them. I told them I have no choice but to be honest. I also receive an email a few days from the GM saying asking if there's anything he could do before I leave a survey review. Too little too late. I had already left my feedback a few days prior. The dealership definitely take complaints to Toyota Canada very seriously.

Conclusion. Love the vehicle but something shady is going on. They say never trust a car salesman and that couldn't be more true in my case.

TLDR: was on the waitlist since 2020 and was lied to, mocked and lost money. Love the vehicle and happy I finally got it.

Sorry for the long story but I hope my experience can shed some light on what's currently going on. It's definitely a seller's market out there and the R4P is a unicorn!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I contacted multiple dealers in Alberta. Edmonton, Calgary, and every town toyota located. All of them said it's 5 years wait time least case. Some are not willing to add anymore to wait list.
Well, with one delivery in the whole province in August, it’s a lost cause. Time to move on to a different vehicle. The Dodge Hornet PHEV looks nice.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Big wait lists already I’ve heard. I can’t stand the front end and I don’t want a third row.
i hear ya on the front end and rear seats .front end wouldn't bother me that much and since the rear seats are very thin id just fold them down or remove them altogether .

as for the wait list that would very . buddy of mine is trying to get one but they are not taking pre orders at that dealership ( freddy nb ) because they have no price yet .

·
Registered
2 Posts
The dealers seem to be as much in the dark about delivery dates as we are. Would be nice to know how much of a price increase we can expect for the ‘23 models. The ‘22’s MSRPs went up $1,100 mid year. With the enhancements for ‘23, especially the SE (infotainment, Moonroof, Pwr Liftgate), we can expect another bump - likely a couple thousand - may serve to close the gap to the XSE?
How do you know the 2023 SE will have a power lift gate in Canada?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not totally sure 100%, But the Japan plant where i think the prime is being built may shutdown for two weeks in October.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Finally, the call came in yesterday. Dealer told me that a 2022 XSE technology would be available late November.
However, i declined it as i want an XSE without all the unnecessary gadgets.
I may had accepted it if was a 2023 model, but it was a 2022 model.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Finally, the call came in yesterday. Dealer told me that a 2022 XSE technology would be available late November. However, i declined it as i want an XSE without all the unnecessary gadgets. I may had accepted it if was a 2023 model, but it was a 2022 model.
You could have flipped it for 10k profit and got back on the list.

61 - 81 of 84 Posts