Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
2021 RAV4 Prime SE
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I thought I'd post about my experience looking into getting a block heater installed on my '21 R4P in Alaska. I've always had block heaters on my vehicles, including a '13 Prius V. I plug in a vehicle when temps are 20F or colder and I can always tell a difference on startup when a vehicle has been plugged in for at least an hour. In my experience when outside temp is below about 14F the R4P will start the ICE even if the Defrost setting is not selected and the traction battery is fully charged. We've had a cold spell here recently and I waited until it warmed up to about -1F to start the car. Sounded like a VW TDI! 馃槵

I want to install a block heater on my R4P but have had a hard time finding info on the parts and installation. The dealer in Anchorage has stopped installing block heaters on all Toyota models because they were having an issue with the plug melting or almost catching fire. The representative said they were using an aftermarket unit and had not found a satisfactory replacement unit yet. Ditto the dealership in Fairbanks. The representative at the dealership I bought from in Salem, OR had no knowledge of a block heater for this car and recommended a magnetic oil pan heater. This has been suggested elsewhere on this forum, as well. I would still feel more comfortable with a proper block heater, so I called a dealership in Canada and they gave me the part numbers involved. Here they are:
Product Rectangle Azure Font Screenshot

Anyhow, hope that is helpful for anyone trying to solve this issue in AK or elsewhere in the Lower 48. Canada seems to have it squared away. Does anyone have any other tips on getting and installing a block heater on a R4P or RAV4 hybrid? Thanks

Registered
2021 Prime XSE
My dealership installed the Toyota approved DEFA block heater for the Prime. The plug is installed flush in the bumper, so it's a pretty slick system. It comes with a dedicated cord.

Maybe that's the part numbers you have identified?

Registered
2020 RAV4 Hybrid LE
I honestly never found it necessary in Anchorage or the Matsu. Anything further north into the interior yes, but that was also on larger gas and Diesel engines. My Prius and old 96 Rav seemed to do just fine. It鈥檚 a good thing for you that they鈥檙e using thinner 0W-16 oil. Hopefully you get some resolution soon and stay warm!

Registered
My dealership installed the Toyota approved DEFA block heater for the Prime. The plug is installed flush in the bumper, so it's a pretty slick system. It comes with a dedicated cord.

Maybe that's the part numbers you have identified?
How does it work? Can you start it remotely and does it use ice? Do you feel like it鈥檚 worth installing? Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts