Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All -

Considering upgrading to the Rav4 Prime from our 2012 Prius plug-in -- have not been able to drive the RAV4 yet (will do that this weekend) - but one thing I'm seeing is a bit puzzling. When compared to a 2012 Prius (our current car) and the previous generation 2008 Prius (our prior car), the leg room in the RAV4 seems to be less than both of them. The 2008 Prius in particular was pretty small. Is this accurate? Or is leg room not a great measure of the amount of space available/comfort for a driving position? in the car?

Font Material property Rectangle Parallel Number

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
792 Posts
Hi All -

Considering upgrading to the Rav4 Prime from our 2012 Prius plug-in -- have not been able to drive the RAV4 yet (will do that this weekend) - but one thing I'm seeing is a bit puzzling. When compared to a 2012 Prius (our current car) and the previous generation 2008 Prius (our prior car), the leg room in the RAV4 seems to be less than both of them. The 2008 Prius in particular was pretty small. Is this accurate? Or is leg room not a great measure of the amount of space available/comfort for a driving position? in the car?

View attachment 171557

Thanks in advance!
Loads of legroom. I'm 6ft 2.5 and over 200lbs. No problem.

Two biggest issues are...

1. the passenger seat is set far too high. I can't sit in it. My head is on the pan roof. My wife can just about sit in it. She is probably 5ft 9.
2. The centre console is too wide where my left knee is (I have a RHD car in the UK). That means my knee rests on the console and it is hard plastic. Very uncomfortable on long journeys. I'm going to need to stick a foam pad onto it soon. Like a foam bumper.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
RAV4 HV Limited, Prius Prime Advanced
2,138 Posts
You can go sit in a Rav4 at any dealer and see for yourself. Its a bit silly to rely on numbers to judge. The Rav4 is a lot easier to get into and out of and has more leg/knee room in the driver seat.

·
Registered
102 Posts
In Rav4 you are sitting more upright so horizontal leg room measurement isn't the best way to evaluate space.
I'd say if you had enough space in the Prius then the Rav 4 will be sufficient.
It's best to go to a dealer and check it out. You can look at any Rav4 trim since the interior dimensions should be the same, except the cargo area.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all! Yes, we'll be visiting a dealer to try out the Rav4, but wanted to 'preview' that :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks all! Yes, we'll be visiting a dealer to try out the Rav4, but wanted to 'preview' that :)
I'm 6'4, and I can tell you that the leg room numbers used by car manufacturers are notoriously inconsistent. The CX-5, for example, is listed as having almost two more inches of legroom (front + back) than the Rav4 Prime. I have sat in both of them multiple times and I can tell you that the R4P definitely has more total legroom. If I adjust the CX-5 to be comfortable up front, I can barely squeeze in behind the seat and have to spread my legs wide just to fit. In the R4P, my knees barely even touch the back of the driver's seat when my legs are perfectly straight.

Bottom line: don't believe the numbers, always sit in the car.

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime XSE
368 Posts
The Prius prime is a longer car, but there is more room overall in the rav4. Maybe it is the seat height giving you more room I do not know, but it defiantly has more room than my prius prime.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I am 6' tall and have no issues with leg room in our R4P but in the passenger side I was very worried about headroom with the moonroof because we drove a R4 Hybrid and my head was very close. For some reason our R4P seems to have more headroom than the Hybrid we drove on the passenger side. I like to sit upright but I can imagine having legroom issues if you are tall and prefer to lean back.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I love my R4P but I do think it is uncomfortable on long trips. It’s hard on my knees and the width is narrow. Coming from a Prius my guess is that it would be similar. My previous vehicle was a half ton pickup truck so the space is a tough adjustment.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts