Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new RAV4 Prime SE owner. I have a 240V 40A NEMA 14-50 installed in the garage and am considering to buy a Level 2 charger.

I am looking for experience/perspective from the RAV4 community on the following:
(1) The SE comes with a 3.3kW onboard charger - In what ways should the 3.3kW part constrain me when evaluating Level 2 chargers? Is there any particular specification that I should look for, in the chargers, to make sure they will be compatible with 3.3kW onboard charger?

(2) Any experiences with using either of the following Level 2 chargers with your RAV4 Prime?
  • Chargepoint Home Flex
  • JuiceBox
If you have used it for XSE with the 6.6kW onboard charger, kindly clarify in your reply.

Thank you in advance for taking time to share your perspective.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Congrats!
I have a hardwired Juicebox 40
The vehicle only charges at a rate of 16A. Therefore anything above would be considered overkill. Future proofing is the main consideration for anything rated higher

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just installed a JuiceBox this past weekend.

While I don’t have my Prime just yet, I was able to successfully set up the JuiceBox and just wanted to share with you that it has configurations built in for the Prime, although is misidentified mine as having the 6.6kWh charger, but it was easy enough to change to 3.3.

I also looked at the ChargePoint but the JuiceBox was in stock on Amazon plus it ties directly into my home automation setup as well, I’ll be able to see charging status right on my 3D floor plan with the rest of my smarthome stuff.

I'm looking forward to seeing how it works to charge my new car for sure.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I am a new RAV4 Prime SE owner. I have a 240V 40A NEMA 14-50 installed in the garage and am considering to buy a Level 2 charger.

I am looking for experience/perspective from the RAV4 community on the following:
(1) The SE comes with a 3.3kW onboard charger - In what ways should the 3.3kW part constrain me when evaluating Level 2 chargers? Is there any particular specification that I should look for, in the chargers, to make sure they will be compatible with 3.3kW onboard charger?

(2) Any experiences with using either of the following Level 2 chargers with your RAV4 Prime?
  • Chargepoint Home Flex
  • JuiceBox
If you have used it for XSE with the 6.6kW onboard charger, kindly clarify in your reply.

I too have the NEMA 14-50 outlet in my garage, and I purchased the OpenEVse charging station:

I love that it's WiFi, so I can monitor charging remotely, set the start/stop times, set the desired KW-Hr charge, etc.
I bought the ready-to-plug-in to 14-50 version, but if you'd like to save a few bucks you can buy the kit and assemble it yourself.

It will handle up to 40A (future-proofing); my SE usually pulls 14.9A.

Also, don't forget the 30% federal tax credit (IRS Form 8911) for the cost of your charging station...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Rishi
Congrats on the purchase, I also have SE which limits the charging speed with 3.3kw onboard charger. one need to buy the premium package in XSE to get the 6.6kw charging capacity in USA. I think in Canada all the trims are getting 6.6kw, please correct if i'm wrong. With 3.3kw per hr its just impractical to use public charging.
I have installed chargepoint home flex, with my Nema 6-50 welding plug in garage. I used it because Maryland has a rebate program on EVSE installation & purchase, plus Potomac Edison also have similar rebate .( i did installation myself) So combining all the rebates the purchase of Chargepoint evse comes equal to $0 for me.
If you ask me why i choose chargepoint vs juicebox, because there are many public chargepoint stations and one App let me program & Schedule my charging.

• Chargepoint Home Flex
  • JuiceBox

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello,

I have Chargepoint homeflex hardwired in my garage (getting up to 50A charging for future proofing). NEMA 14-50 maxes out at 40A. My XSE only has 3.3 kW charger. But on days that I drive a lot, I appreciate having a quick charge at home before I use the car again. I chose Chargepoint as my local utility gave me $500 incentive to use Charepoint instead of the other brands. I love the ability to "observe" how my car is charging in the garage.

• Chargepoint Home Flex
  • JuiceBox

·
Registered
161 Posts
With the provided charger / charge cable for the SE, can you monitor the charging on an app, and turn it on/off, etc?
If not, what would I need to get?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have RAV4 Prime XSE with premium package, so it has 6.6 kwh charger. It charges in 2.5 hrs when using with 240V at 32amps evse. I am currently using the provided 120v charger @ 240v and it completely charges my rav4 prime in 5.5 Hrs. Its adding 8 miles per hour. compared to 3.5 miles @ 120v. Even though the charger says 120V 12amps on the charger, its able to charge @ 240v and 12 amps. Since its limited to 12 amps its taking 5.5 hrs to charge from 0 to 100%.

I created an adapter to use from NEMA 14-50P to Nema 5-20R. Provided charger is same as the one privided for Prius Prime and I made the adapter based on the instructions found at priuschat.com

I have 50amps circuit breaker with #6 AWG cable and NEMA 14-50p.

·
Registered
36 Posts
With the provided charger / charge cable for the SE, can you monitor the charging on an app, and turn it on/off, etc?
Denofel, it sounds like you're talking about the 120V charging cable that comes with your SE.
You could plug it in to a WiFi power monitor like the attached link:

Full Disclosure: I installed an OpenEVSE level-2 charger in my garage, and I've never used the 120V charger that came with my SE.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I use this with my SE - got it for $9.97 on clearance in-store, works great as it runs off a schedule for lowest rates, and can turn on/off via Google Assistant / Google Home

It draws just under 12A, so you'll need something similar that can deal with 15A or more

·
Registered
161 Posts
I use this with my SE - got it for $9.97 on clearance in-store, works great as it runs off a schedule for lowest rates, and can turn on/off via Google Assistant / Google Home

It draws just under 12A, so you'll need something similar that can deal with 15A or more
Thanks Storm & Flaming!
Do I need something with energy monitoring, or would a simple smart plug that allows scheduling do the trick? Can the charge energy be monitored through the car somehow?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks Storm & Flaming!
Do I need something with energy monitoring, or would a simple smart plug that allows scheduling do the trick? Can the charge energy be monitored through the car somehow?
My (Canadian SE) doesn't seem to have any kind of energy reporting, I'm having a hard time figuring out kW output of public chargers
The smart plug I've linked - the app has energy usage, but don't think I can program events based on usage (like shut off plug after 10kW, etc)

·
Registered
161 Posts
I am assuming that the L2 chargers do monitor energy consumption, correct?
Are there any universal L2 chargers out there that I can actually plug into a regular 110V outlet for the time being (until I have figured out where exactly we will charge the car the most - inside the garage or outside, right next to it).
Trying to avoid installing a 240 outlet at the wrong location, but would like to enjoy these features from the get-go.

·
Registered
RAV4 HV Limited, Prius Prime Advanced
2,043 Posts
I am assuming that the L2 chargers do monitor energy consumption, correct?
Are there any universal L2 chargers out there that I can actually plug into a regular 110V outlet for the time being (until I have figured out where exactly we will charge the car the most - inside the garage or outside, right next to it).
Trying to avoid installing a 240 outlet at the wrong location, but would like to enjoy these features from the get-go.
Most of the popular L2 chargers come with 25ft of cable, and J1772 extensions are also available. There are also extensions available for the 14-50 cable. So your outlet can go most anywhere.

And yes, the better L2 units can track usage as well as control output, scheduling, remote control, etc, etc.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have RAV4 Prime XSE with premium package, so it has 6.6 kwh charger. It charges in 2.5 hrs when using with 240V at 32amps evse. I am currently using the provided 120v charger @ 240v and it completely charges my rav4 prime in 5.5 Hrs. Its adding 8 miles per hour. compared to 3.5 miles @ 120v. Even though the charger says 120V 12amps on the charger, its able to charge @ 240v and 12 amps. Since its limited to 12 amps its taking 5.5 hrs to charge from 0 to 100%.
Are you saying that you are using the 120-volt cable that Toyota provided with your RAV4 Prime to plug into your EVSE and charge through that cable at 240 volts?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Are you saying that you are using the 120-volt cable that Toyota provided with your RAV4 Prime to plug into your EVSE and charge through that cable at 240 volts?
I can't speak for r4pmpm, but a conditional yes
Your post is confusing to me.
Toyota did not provide a 120V 'cable', but an EVSE labeled for 120V.
r4pmpm did not plug that EVSE into an EVSE but into an outlet wired for 240V
There appears to be a consensus building that this just works - for example:

Hein

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yes I am using the Toyota provided 120v EVSE @240V using NEMA 14-50 adapter converting to NEMA 5-20R with 240v.

NEMA 14-50p has 4 pins, Ground, Hot, Hot, and Neutral. and NEMA 5-20R has three i.e Ground, Hot and Neutral. I used #10 AWG cable and connected
NEMA 14-50P Ground to NEMA 5-20R Ground
NEMA 14-50P Hot to NEMA 5-20R Hot
NEMA 14-50P Hot to NEMA 5-20RNeutral
NEMA 14-50P Neutral NOT used.

So, NEMA 5-20R will have 2 Hots providing 240v output.

Here are some images.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes I am using the Toyota provided 120v EVSE @240V using NEMA 14-50 adapter converting to NEMA 5-20R with 240v.

NEMA 14-50p has 4 pins, Ground, Hot, Hot, and Neutral. and NEMA 5-20R has three i.e Ground, Hot and Neutral. I used #10 AWG cable and connected
NEMA 14-50P Ground to NEMA 5-20R Ground
NEMA 14-50P Hot to NEMA 5-20R Hot
NEMA 14-50P Hot to NEMA 5-20RNeutral
NEMA 14-50P Neutral NOT used.

So, NEMA 5-20R will have 2 Hots providing 240v output.

Here are some images.
Interesting setup. Good for you. I just checked the rating of the adapter "the big black rectangular box" and it does not say that it can take 240V. I thought it would require some sort of step down of voltage.

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 Prime XSE
20 Posts
My experience: If you are charging overnight on a Level 2 at 32 amps, then the 3.3 vs 6.6 KwH onboard will be fairly irrelevant. BUT if charging during the day or needed a 'boost' charge, the 6.6 speed really helps. My longest charge on a Level 2 was 2 hrs and 20 mins with the 6.6 dead empty to full.

As noted, either onboard charger is limited to Level 2 and 32 amps with a J1772 plug, so DC FAST charging is not a 'thing' for us Prime owners.

On chargers, I have a lot of experience with wiring the 240 volt outlets and installing chargers (my son has an Ioniq EV and a 40 amp Juice Box). I personally went with the made in Canada Grizzl-E Classic 40 amp that is switchable (via DIP switches) to run at 16 or 32 amps. It is an extremely well built charger and a true outside mountable unit if needed (NEMA 3). Super heavy duty and well built. Always go 24 ft cord length even if you think you don't need it. $419 with this length cord.

My son's Juice Box is a wifi unit and he wishes he went with a 'dumb' unit like the Grizzl-E. The vehicle controls the charging schedule and no real need for 'double programming' charge times. Plus the Toyota App lets you start charging on the app outside the schedule you have set.

Below is my setup and works awesome (the single LED on the Grizzl-E does communicate the status i.e. standby, connected, charging, completed charge) via colors and steady/blinking.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts