Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - long time reader - first time poster.
Today, my Toyota dealer found a new issue with my 2013 XLE AWD - purchased CPO in Sept '15 with 21K miles.
the list of issues is:
1- 23K - the brake grinding issue mentioned in other threads - dealer changed front pads and rear rotors - semi fixed under warranty
2- 29K - coolant leak at the bypass hose - fixed under warranty
3- 36K front right wheel bearing - fixed under warranty
4- 45K (Today) - left rear shock is leaking - $200 to fix - not under warranty

I have owed Highlanders, CRV's and a number of other Japanese cars/SUVs and have never had issues like this.:frown
4 repairs in 18 months! So the question - is this unusual or are all RAV4's like this - or is this a 2013 "first year redesign" issue.

I agree with other posts about ride quality, entune, etc., but this quality/reliability issue is a deal breaker.

Thanks for your comments!

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Why would the dealer replace the front pads, but the rear rotors?
What end was the noise coming from?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
good question about the rear rotors.
The noise was in the front. The new fronts pads semi-fixed the noise, but I can still make it happen - just not as loud as before.
I didn't ask why new rear rotors. I was happy to have them under warranty!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
At least my dealer tried to fix that brake noise issue. There have been a number of posts here where the dealer seemed to say "that's just the way it is" or basically - suck it up. I give them credit for that. However, the three other issues, on top of the brake noise, have me asking about quality issues on 2013 RAV4s

·
Registered
202 Posts
First model year production vehicles tend to have more issues, in general. What's the trade in value? Maybe getting into a '16+ RAV is the answer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Have the exact same 2013 XLE AWD version purchased new in July 2013, Japan model if that matters. Now have 48K miles and have had no issues. Took to dealer until 25K but having routine work(oil/filters/inspection) done at local mechanic. Original tires also with no abnormal wear.

Hope my luck continues

ps. Original brake components. Mostly highway miles.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Wife's '15 is great, but she's put less than 20,000 miles on it.
I've put almost 30k on my '16 Corolla

1 - 9 of 9 Posts