Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In late 2005 I started conducting reliability research at TrueDelta.com. We report absolute repair rates that make the differences between cars much clearer. Relative ratings obscure too much--how large is the difference between "better than average" and "worse than average"? We're also updating results four times a year, to closely track cars as they age.

Thanks to help from members of this forum, we've been collecting data on the RAV4 for some time now. So far repair rates have been low. More participants would increase the precision of the results.

Participants simply report repairs the month after they occur on a one-page survey. When there are no repairs, they simply report an approximate odometer reading four times a year, at the end of each quarter.

To encourage participation, participants receive full access to all results, not just those for the RAV4, free of charge.

Details: Car reliability research

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, guys. I now have 15 2006 RAV4s enrolled. The survey emails went out this morning. Hopefully three months from now I'll have responses from enough vehicles to report some preliminary results.

This research is ongoing, so people can still sign up. At this point they'll start with next month's survey.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I posted the first results recently. They can be viewed here:

http://www.truedelta.com/results0906.php

The 2006 RAV4 had one of the lowest repair rates among the couple dozen vehicles I'm reporting results for, about 0.3 repair trips to the shop per year.

Going forward, results will be updated every three months, with the next update around the end of February. This first set is just a start. Each time more models will be included and sample sizes will grow.

Everyone here who has been helping out with this research, thanks.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I've been reporting for a few months, but I haven't had anything to report!! 9,000 miles and no problemos.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I appreciate it.

Participants without problems are every bit as valuable as those with them. When problems are reported, I need to know how many cars to divide them among. I only know this when panel members fill out the odometer reading survey at the end of the quarter.

Which is fast approaching--January surveys convering December will go out early in the new year. Once everyone reports in, the data will again be analyzed, and we'll have a fresh set of results by dividing the number of problems reported by the total number of months and then multiplying by 12 to get repair trips per year.

I say all this because I think some people don't complete the survey because they figure it's not important if there's no problem to report, and this will make the repair rates seem higher than they actually are.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ronkar1 said:
I feel bad. I get the survey reminder emails every month, and I have no trips to the shop to report. :lol:
Have you been providing the odometer reading at the end of every quarter? Otherwise your vehicle isn't included in the analysis. The subject of the email always states which months a response is required vs. those when a response is only required if there was a repair.

I've also made changes to reduce the amount of email sent to many people. Those who consistently respond before the follow-up goes out in the required months will no longer get follow-up emails in the non-required months. This is about half of the people who respond.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I apologize for the delayed response. But thanks, I certainly appreciate it.

Right now there are 65 2006s and 17 2007s enrolled. I'm going to need more of the latter before I can provide results for the 2007.

The next results will be posted in a few weeks. I've been looking at the raw data as it comes in, and it appears that the repair rate for the 2006 will again be low, perhaps even a bit lower than last time's 0.4 trips per year.

I've had a very good response rate for this model. Thanks, everyone.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts