Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
My first impression was that these folks are definitely closet Toyota haters. And, that one author: "too big, too refined, too equipped, too pricey" is just a plain outright dee eye sea kay. Saying long-term reliability and Toyota's exceptional resale value were BORING is hardly an intelligent and thoughtful analysis. The thought of selling my Toyota for much more than a Kia Sportage excites me every day I think about it. We end-users make the buying decisions anyway little author-boy. THE PURSE IS MIGHTIER THAT YOUR FRIGIN' PEN! ...Rock On Toyota

S

·
0 Posts
While I agree its the best semi-mid-sized CUV on the US market right now, that does not mean the vehicle is without faults. All one has to do is look to threads on this forum to see its not perfect. No vehicle from any brand is perfect.

In the coming months that might change with so many other new and redesigned platforms coming out.

Looking at Toyota's home market where they take 51% of overall sales, you can see the new RAV4 is already having stiff competition. As the poster above says, the "the purse is mightier than the pen"

In Japan the new RAV-4 was launched in November 2005. For the full sales months of December through February, the RAV-4 was only the top selling mid-sized CUV for the month of January. The new Outlander sold more units than new RAV4 in December and February despite being on the market a month longer from a much less overall popular maker. You can visit the Japan Automobile Dealers Association (www.jada.or.jp/) to see more information.

R

·
0 Posts
The Outlander mentioned above appears to be reliable and is recommended my Consumer Reports. Though, they rate it very below average in the owner satisfaction column and below average in depreciation. The RAV4 will do better in those categories. CR is only one source one should look at when making an automotive choice. RAV4WORLD is another!

I believe automotive journalists are a little too harsh and owners are a little too gushing. You'll notice that the ratings on Edmunds.com have their ratings below their customer ratings for each vehicle.

I utilized RAV4World before our purchase and so I was aware of the issues this vehicle would have. I am satisfied with findings and with the vehicle overall and it looks like we all will get more for our RAV4's than the Outlander bunch at trade-in time! Yippee!

·
Registered
214 Posts
While it may not make me popular, I agree with what that author has to say, just not the way he says it. Barrelling through the rest of that hyperbole, this line, above all else, seems to illustrate my exact feelings on the new RAV4.

On its surface, the vehicle seems to have grown up so well and looks so fine in its new suit. Underneath though, it's forgotten what it is. It's lost its soul. It's lost its ability to have fun. It's yet another interchangeable, dull, boring mid-size SUV in an already overcrowded market.
Sorry guys, I know it's not a popular opinion, but having a 4.2 and a friend with a 4.1 that I've ridden in a LOT, I have to agree.

Wayne

S

·
0 Posts
RAV4HER said:
The Outlander mentioned above appears to be reliable and is recommended my Consumer Reports. Though, they rate it very below average in the owner satisfaction column and below average in depreciation. The RAV4 will do better in those categories. CR is only one source one should look at when making an automotive choice. RAV4WORLD is another!
No thats not the Outlander mentioned above. The new Outlander will premier in the NY Autoshow in April. It was released in Japan in October 2005 but we won't see it in the US until later this year.

There are other countries besides America :roll:

·
Registered
652 Posts
I've driven the 4.2 and I don't know what people are so in love with. Yea it's "cozy" and the pickup is fine but I don't like any of the previous RAVs. I think (my opinion so don't get excited) there all ugly. Posts mention the lack of side moldings on the 4.3. Well the moldings on the previous versions look like an after thought. A patch of plastic stuck to the side.

Auto reviewers are a dime a dozen and just like movie critics. You can have the absolute worst movie but some fool will give it a gushing review so the studio can add a quote to the advertising. If you don't think reviewers get some sort of kick back from companies for good and bad reviews you're niave.

Most of the reviews I've seen have been fine when compared to my first hand experience. Some genius reviewer can come out tomorrow and trash the current RAV...... I don't care. It has better build quality then all my previous GM cars....and I don't need a reviewer to tell me that.

S

·
0 Posts
Wayne said:
While it may not make me popular, I agree with what that author has to say, just not the way he says it. Barrelling through the rest of that hyperbole, this line, above all else, seems to illustrate my exact feelings on the new RAV4.

On its surface, the vehicle seems to have grown up so well and looks so fine in its new suit. Underneath though, it's forgotten what it is. It's lost its soul. It's lost its ability to have fun. It's yet another interchangeable, dull, boring mid-size SUV in an already overcrowded market.
Sorry guys, I know it's not a popular opinion, but having a 4.2 and a friend with a 4.1 that I've ridden in a LOT, I have to agree.

Wayne
except that new Rav4 is a lot sportier vehicle than already sporty 4.2. It behaves a lot better at speed than 4.2.

I dont know what is fun supposed to be other than good handling and great engine?

·
Registered
214 Posts
spwolfx said:
except that new RAV4 is a lot sportier vehicle than already sporty 4.2. It behaves a lot better at speed than 4.2.

I dont know what is fun supposed to be other than good handling and great engine?
Again, my opinion. To me, sporty is about small and fun to throw around a corner. The additional size of the 4.3, even considering the bigger engine, negates that, plus, you lose the tight turning circle afforded by the shorter length of the 4.2.

In my mind, the RAV had always been "the Honda S2000 of SUV's". Now it's just a mini-highlander. A lot like comparing the differences between a real SUV (the Hummer H1) and it's civilized-yet-somehow-lacking-in-the-testosterone-department counterpart (the H3)

I won't say more on the subject, because I really shouldn't. I simply agree with pretty much everything that particular reviewer said. HOWEVER, I did not agree with the way he said it.

Wayne

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I would have to agree with Wayne. The reviewer summed up my feelings exactly:

The Bottom Line
I'm not crazy about the RAV4. It just strikes me as a vehicle that's refined out the impurities that made it worth knowing...another bland, mediocre SUV.
From reading his review, you can tell he is dead-set on bashing the RAV4; he even says he drives a Honda Pilot. No bias there. :roll:

But he does make some good points that I tend to agree with; especially with the RAV4 losing its special character. Please don't flame me on this, it is just my opinion. :)

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
rotflmao

RAV4HER said:
My first impression was that these folks are definitely closet Toyota haters. And, that one author: "too big, too refined, too equipped, too pricey" is just a plain outright dee eye sea kay. Saying long-term reliability and Toyota's exceptional resale value were BORING is hardly an intelligent and thoughtful analysis. The thought of selling my Toyota for much more than a Kia Sportage excites me every day I think about it. We end-users make the buying decisions anyway little author-boy. THE PURSE IS MIGHTIER THAT YOUR FRIGIN' PEN! ...Rock On Toyota

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wayne wrote:
I won't say more on the subject, because I really shouldn't. I simply agree with pretty much everything that particular reviewer said. HOWEVER, I did not agree with the way he said it.
And I suppose you agree with him that the 4.3 RAV is NOT to be recommended??

When researching the new RAV, I needed something very innovative to pull me away from my Subaru loyalty, having been a satisfied Subie owner with my last three vehicles. The new RAV had everything I was looking for in my next machine - the back seat and cargo room that my Subies lacked (without being a behemoth), a state of the art V6 with a five speed tranny that runs on regular gas and gets relatively decent mileage. The standard VSC system was probably the kicker that sold me. Available in 3 trim levels in 4x4 and 4x2. Having found what I was looking for, I found it easy to make the switch to Toyota with it's rock solid reliability. The only aspect of this redesigned vehicle that I didn't like was it's availability - but I was fortunate to get exactly what I wanted within three short weeks after making some noise at my dealer's.

So if you want to agree with this blatant 4.3 reviewer/basher, go ahead, it's your perogative. And if you enjoy doing corners in a cute-ute , I suggest you try the Subaru Forester :wink:

OC

·
Registered
214 Posts
OCInsomniac said:
Wayne wrote:
Didn't say that, or at least it was not my intent, but don't go all pedantic on us please.

In earnest. If you're looking for an SUV, then by all means, the new "RAV4" is probably amongst the best out there, but I simply cannot accept it as a RAV4 because -- like the reviewer said -- literally every single thing that gave it character in the 4.1 and 4.2 (to me) has been stripped, gutted, and sanded down to make it an exceptionally bland and average mid-sized soccer-mom SUV.

Again, just my opinion and you can take it or leave it but it's mine. Then again, I love my 4.2 with one notable exception, and that's gearing. If I could figure out how to drop a six-speed into it and change out the gearbox, I'd be in absolute heaven.

That being said, if I had never seen or owned my 4.2, I'd probably be a little more willing to buy a 4.3, though I'd probably have ended up with a Grand Vitara or the new soon-to-be-released Mitsubishi.

The earlier RAV4's (both 4.1 and 4.2) were special. They were styling exercises where you either loved them or you simply didn't.
This year is no different. You either like the RAV4, or you don't (and I don't).

It seems to me that Toyota must have gone to Mexico to get one hell of a good deal on "vanilla" this year because -- aside from the Tundra and the FJ -- every car and SUV they make strikes me as terribly bland and bubbly. -- again... just my opinion.

Wayne

·
Registered
214 Posts
Janos said:
Posts mention the lack of side moldings on the 4.3. Well the moldings on the previous versions look like an after thought. A patch of plastic stuck to the side.
Funny you should mention that...

Went to OfficeMax today (they're closing the local store so had a few goodies I wanted). Upon leaving, I noticed a metal buggy somehow wedged between my 4.2 S and a maroon Suzuki (whatever they make -- lt looks a lot like the new "RAV4").

Literally, it looks as though it had gone rolling down the hill and somehow by the grace of God, it managed to hit the exact opening between our two vehicles. There was perhaps an inch of clearance between the buggy and the sides of the car.

The difference? Down the side of the Suzuki was a 4" long gash in the paint on the unprotected door where the buggy had skid and ricochet'd. On my RAV4, there was an area about the same length with just a little scuff on that "patch of plastic" (and the fender flare) which simply rubbed out when I had the car washed on the way home...

I'll keep my little accent pieces thank you very much.. :)

Wayne

·
Registered
214 Posts
OCInsomniac said:
If I may, I'd like to say something here for everyone's consideration. It seems that we're getting into a situation on this site where everyone is a bit defensive over their choices and as such, there is apparently the tendency to go on the offensive every time a countering opinion is offered.

Rav4world didn't used to be that way until the introduction of the 4.3 and the injection of several new people who seem to take the defensive posture.

For the record, when I say "I do not like the 2006 RAV4", I'm simply expressing my honest opinion. I have no intentions of trolling, nor do I intend to offend my fellow readers. I realize that some of you (the original poster included) may naturally take offense that I agree -- for the most part -- with the opinions of that reviewer.

Perhaps the better part of valor is that I should simply have said nothing and "let it go", but I can't for one simple reason. I am not wishing the 4.3 was another "clone" of the 4.2, but I am honestly hoping that Toyota will actually listen to some of us when we cry out for the availability of some of the 4.2's character-lending options (such as the hood scoop amongst other things)...

Hoping that, in 2008/9 (the 4.3 is technically a 2007 model), they'll consider adding a few options, such as the hood scoop and/or the ground effects package or rims that we've seen on a few of those gorgeous concept vehicles.

{soapbox}

For bleep's sake Toyota.... Give us back the TRD aspect of our Toyotas and stop thinking that the only people who want such things would be fine buying an xB or tC (we're not). While you're at it Toyota, stop telling us what we want and at least give us the OPTION of adding a Navigation system and other goodies that your competitors don't take forgranted. The lack of a NAV option alone might keep me from buying a newer RAV4.

Sorry... Too much caffeine today :) {/soapbox}

·
Registered
379 Posts
That's right buddy. DISCRETION is the better part of valor. Try to remember that the next time you want to post some of your crap. Who cares about your opion. You don't even own a 4.3.

·
Registered
214 Posts
inlets said:
That's right buddy. DISCRETION is the better part of valor. Try to remember that the next time you want to post some of your crap. Who cares about your opion. You don't even own a 4.3.
Thank you for proving my point.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Wayne said:
I'll keep my little accent pieces thank you very much.. :)

Wayne
I have no problem with that. You perfer safety over styling. :)

·
Registered
652 Posts
Wayne said:
but I am honestly hoping that Toyota will actually listen to some of us when we cry out for the availability of some of the 4.2's character-lending options (such as the hood scoop amongst other things)...
Please Toyota, from another point of view, don't ever make another car that looks like it was put together by a kit in someone's basement.

Everyone's got an opinion.......lol

Sure the RAV 4.3 is not the most cutting edge design, but it's clean and kinda sleek.

To post an negative opinion in a forum of owners, what do you expect back Wayne? Personally it doesn't bother me. I am self confident enough to be very happy with my decision after all it's a car, I'm not married to it. Go to an NRA meeting and tell them you don't like guns....lol :)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.