1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short.

1. Looking at 06' Rav, low miles.
2. From East Coast
3. No probs except some under the RAV rust. Clean title, no accidents.
4. Had it inspected by a Toyota dealership
5. The Service advisor called me, told me nothing was wrong, everything sounded good, no leaks, tranny strong....only issue was some under the car rust but she specifically asked the technician "would you buy this car" He said yes.
6. Obviously they have no dog in the fight, they were getting paid either way and I'm out of their state so I would never be their customer besides this inspection.
7. Like most men, I know a good deal about cars in general....except rust.
8. Here's my thing, going back in my mind, having lived in chicago driving 93' Hondas through snow and all that and other friends/fam trucking through the same stuff, I believe there was rust but never had problems where pieces of the car fell off or mechanics telling me that b/c of rust a part had to be replaced, etc, etc, etc.
9. Does anyone know about RAV rust issues where it's been some crazy thing that I should steer clear??
10. I have talked to mechanics on the phone (who have not seen the car) about the rust issue in general and most say there can be issues obviously with any car concerning rust and to maybe steer clear but then I keep going back to the technician who said he would buy the car even with the rust.

11. Just looking for some solid advice and with the rust issue......where I live it does get cold and snow, etc but they don't use salt....does the rust keep going and going like the energizer battery where in 5 years im screwed or can it kind slow way down or be kept at bay???

Please help, I'd really really appreciate it

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
I'm not aware of any particular rust issues with RAVs, but I'm not sure what you mean by "rust". It could mean anything from light surface rust which would be nothing, to heavily perforated metal which obviously would be much more serious. You'd have to find out more info.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
If you could post pics of the current rust situation that may be helpful.

·
Registered
158 Posts
if it's only surface rust it can still be suppressed... living in Ontario Canada where salt is used for Winter, our cars suffer a great deal of rust issues.

However, with that said... I've seen cars that are oil sprayed/rust proofed regularly as well as washed at least once a month in the winter, and most of the time they're usually clean and only show minor surface rusting. Those NOT oil sprayed regularly (at least every other year) and washed regularly, almost always suffer from rot issues.

I'd say buy it, have it oil sprayed and that should give you a piece of mind that the car won't have Flintstones style holes in the future. :)

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
Agree with REN3G8.
If the metal is still sound, rust proofing every year will work great for salty winters and humid coast lines.

Check the bottom of all the doors too. If those are rusting, then I might let it go.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
The rear sway bar end links tend to rust out and fall off. This is the case on cars that are not "rusty".

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
On a 10 year old car, rust on the underbody is to be expected...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Living in Minnesota rust is a fact of life. When I bought my (used) '12 last year I bought a few cans of Fluid Film and sprayed the entire bottom and into the drain holes of the doors. I'm going to do it again before salt (snow) season starts. Frequent winter washes help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts