Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I haven't driven my R4 for a couple of days. I got up this morning to run to the store and when I pushed the push start button, it started shaking and I could hear the spare tire in back (probably have to tighten up). Anyway, my req maintenance light has been on (need to get oil changed), engine check light stayed on, along with 4wd. I do need new brakes so I don't know if that's why its on? Ive attached a picture of my dashboard. Has this happened to anyone? Ive never had so many lights stay on my dashboard. 馃様

Registered
You need to get the codes read by you or a mechanic. The maint reqd light is the oil change reminder. There is no warning light to change the brakes and that is not what those lights mean.

Registered
You also can have the codes read for no cost by many auto supply stores and should have the issues which are revealed taken care of by a trusted auto maintenance shop or mechanic or by a Toyota dealer, although dealer work tends to be comparatively expensive. Deferring maintenance such as oil changes can lead to much more expensive procedures needed later.

Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
Okay, no offense, but your spare tire is loose, your oil needs changing, and your brakes are worn out? You need to start doing some routine maintenance on your RAV4, or it will let you down one of these days.

Registered
Expect a lot of unrelated codes that pop up automatically when there is any code, but only one should be the real cause. Maybe something like a misfire or MAP sensor. Get the code numbers and post them back here. What is the year, engine, and mileage?

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, no offense, but your spare tire is loose, your oil needs changing, and your brakes are worn out? You need to start doing some routine maintenance on your RAV4, or it will let you down one of these days.
Really, you dont say? I have not been able to take it to the shop as I have lost my job and Im a single mother. I'm on here to see if anyone has had the same issues as I do. And I know I need to take it in to get maintenance done.
Thank you.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
You need to get the codes read by you or a mechanic. The maint reqd light is the oil change reminder. There is no warning light to change the brakes and that is not what those lights mean.
Thank you, I was able to drop it off to a mechanic this evening.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
You also can have the codes read for no cost by many auto supply stores and should have the issues which are revealed taken care of by a trusted auto maintenance shop or mechanic or by a Toyota dealer, although dealer work tends to be comparatively expensive. Deferring maintenance such as oil changes can lead to much more expensive procedures needed later.
Thank you! I dropped it off to a mechanice this evening. Hes a family friend and will let me know whats wrong tomorrow.
Expect a lot of unrelated codes that pop up automatically when there is any code, but only one should be the real cause. Maybe something like a misfire or MAP sensor. Get the code numbers and post them back here. What is the year, engine, and mileage?
I dropped it off at the mechanic this evening. I have a 2010 Rav4 Limited 4 cylinder. 170k miles (highway miles). Hopefully its not an expensive fix whatever the code ends up being.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Update :( : oil change, 2 ignition coils need replacing, all brakes and rotors, car inspection...$850.

Registered
Thanks for posting back with results - a lot of forum members don't do that. Good to hear that needed maintenance and repairs have been taken care of. Good that you have a mechanic whom you can trust even though the cost was somewhat expensive. Now you can enjoy driving your RAV4 again without worries! Happy RAV4-ing!

Registered
Update :( : oil change, 2 ignition coils need replacing, all brakes and rotors, car inspection...$850.
Well that is not cheap and many diy can shop around for discount on the part and install them. Times are tough now with so many being laid off. Now is a good time to learn more about maintaining your car to save big on repair bills. Some things can be done but I know some don't have the skills. The best thing to do is once you learn what is wrong with the car then shop for the lowest and highest quality parts so someone or yourself can install it. Remember knowledge is power. With this knowledge you can prevent yourself from getting ripped off and get things fixed cheaper. There are some situations where there is another alternative to fixing a problem and with this forum help it will save you thousands. Good luck to you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts