Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I got it yesterday! Silver with ash interior, base model, 4WD, V6, with options: side/curtain airbags, alloy wheels, roof rack, cargo cover with net, floor/cargo mats. It seemed this was the only option combination in my area that included side airbags, so I had to get it all. All things I would want anyway, apart from alloy wheels, but these are nice nonetheless.

Purchase price was $24,550, which is 1K over Edmunds invoice, and 1.5K below MSRP. I shopped online, and went with the best quote from Piercey Toyota in San Jose. Overall, the online shopping experience was quite pleasant, no pressure. The problem was not the price, but availability: different dealers were quoting the same vehicle to me! The dealer told me that the whole Northern California had 11 vehicles in the base model, 4X4, V6, and some were with 3rd row seats that I did not want. So, once I got a lead on this silver model from another dealer, I asked Piercey to get it for me. It took a couple of days to lock it in, as it was in transit. They had to do a trade and worked hard to get it for me.

One quote I got was at MSRP, from Toyota of Walnut Creek, but most were $1000-1200 below MSRP. Carsdirect.com, which I considered first, was MSRP! You can do much better requesting quotes from Autobytel.com, kbb.com, Edmunds.com, and cars.com.

Internet is definitely the way to go, if you want to avoid the whole dealership experience, with sales person, sales manager, and the F&I manager pouncing on you. As a woman, I don’t think I would be buying a new car if this option was not available.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
congrats! i'm now just waiting for the dealership to call me when they get the model that i want.

oh and when you say "cargo cover with net," do you mean tonneau cover?

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SF Bay Area Buying Experience

Congrats and thank you for sharing your experience. I too am shoping for a V6 in the SF Bay Area. I got a very reasonable quote on a V6 Ltd w/ leather from Fremont Toyota. But I'd have to order it.

I will try Piercey San Jose. Did you do a trade-in? And if so, would you say they gave you a fair price with respect to the KBB trade-in value? Thanks.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, I did not have a trade-in so can’t answer your question. I suspect that Piercey has to offer good prices as they are in a location totally atypical for a dealership. I drove by on N. First St many times on the way from the airport, but it never registered with me that there was a dealership there, until I had to visit them. Even as I was navigating the google map I thought “I hope I did not put in the wrong address as there’s no way they are here!”

Also, I understand that not all dealerships trade with all other ones, so you have to find one that has a good relationship with the one that has it and can get it for you. As I was looking, many said “we don’t have this model.” I kept shopping and got the lead on my car from Toyota of Palo Alto. But they wanted $500 more, so I turned around and asked Piercey to get it for me; besides I already ordered one from them (not factory-ordered, but from shipments coming in), so it was fair that they should make the sale. They did not ask for a deposit either. Overall, I would recommend checking them out.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks KC456. I will definitely stop by Piercey.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
CornMOnkey said:
congrats! i'm now just waiting for the dealership to call me when they get the model that i want.

oh and when you say "cargo cover with net," do you mean tonneau cover?
The official option is "Cargo Area Tonneau Cover with Multipurpose Cargo Net with Support Poles"

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought my RAV4 V6 Limited (leather, heated seats, airbags, jbl, cargo) 3 weeks ago from the Internet Dealer at Stevens Creek Toyota in Santa Clara - I was in contact with Piercey, palo alto, and the SF Toyota dealers - None of the other dealers could find a car with the options or colors I wanted - They all offered to order a car (6-9 weeks) or to give me a deal on one they had. At the end - What I learned was that each dealer has access to different cars - Stevens Creek actually showed me on the computer on Saturday that they had 5 V6 Limiteds in the port of SF. I choose the one I wanted and at $1000 over edmunds invoice (TDA + $500.00) I had my car 3 days later - The dealers at Palo Alto and SF all told me that all of the cars were already allocated to customers in the Northern Cal. area - Not true - they were allocated to dealers.

I loved dealing with Stevens Creek Toyota - they seem to have access to the biggest inventory of RAV4s in the area - Great to deal with - No hassles!

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dealer Installed Leather

My wife and I stopped by Hayward Toyota yesterday. They had the dealer intsalled leather pkg in a 2.4L RAV4 and they wanted $2,950 for the option! I couldn't tell if the leather seats are identical to the factory ones because I had never seen the factory leather. My wife also noticed the workmanship of the leather stitching is subpar. Those of you with leather pkg, are you happy with them?

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
At one point I got a quote on a CRV with dealer-installed leather. The sales guy told me that his cost was $1060. So almost $3K for leather seems really high.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know that Toyota101 was selling the dealer installed leather on a Prius last year for about $1200 so $3000 sounds like a total ripoff. The Toyota dealers are using a shop over in Hayward for their leather work. I'll try to get the name.

As far as selling price, I wasn't impressed with Hayward Toyota. They were not interested in doing any meaningful discount. Go talk to Lydia at Fremont Toyota. They will sell a Rav4 for about $1,000 over the Edmonds listed invoice.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hooolala said:
nice..

i'm still waiting for my dealer to call me back... they can't find any V6 Limited with 3rd row in bay area :(
Try checking the online inventories of Toyota 101 ans Sunnyvale Toyota. Lat time I looked, they both had one V6 Limited with the third row seat. The salesrep at Toyota Fremont told me that all the dealerships where hiding Rav 4s from the the other dealerships by marking their inventory as sold.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was definitely not impressed by Hayward Toyota.
So far, Fremont Toyota and Stevens Creek Toyota have been extremly helpful. Thumbs up for these two dealership.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As far as my experiences went, Hayward Toyota did not give me an upfront quote, but the internet manager offered to sell the car we test drove for about $1400 over invoice (Edmunds’ invoice, not the “$400-over-Edmunds-invoice” invoice). I’m sure we could have negotiated this number down, but I was not interested in the color. The good thing was that he let us test drive the RAV on our own, so I got a better feel for the car, and also Carlos Bee Blvd is right there if you want to see how the RAV would do on very steep hills.

Toyota 101 was fine – they are the only non-commissioned Toyota dealership in the Bay Area. They gave me a good price without much haggling but I would have had to wait. Tracy Toyota and Dublin Toyota (internet department) gave me decent (and upfront) quotes. And I got the lead on my RAV from Toyota of Palo Alto, so you may want to drop an inquiry there.

·
Registered
122 Posts
sloopG said:
hooolala said:
nice..

i'm still waiting for my dealer to call me back... they can't find any V6 Limited with 3rd row in bay area :(
Try checking the online inventories of Toyota 101 ans Sunnyvale Toyota. Lat time I looked, they both had one V6 Limited with the third row seat. The salesrep at Toyota Fremont told me that all the dealerships where hiding RAV 4s from the the other dealerships by marking their inventory as sold.
thanks for the info, i just called those two companies... they do have V6 with third row.. but they don't have it with 4wd... :(.... oh.. well.. i guess i just have to wait longer..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts