Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

My 2004 Rav4 cranks at normal speed but takes long to start after sitting for a few hours. I have no check engine light or codes. I had the battery, alternator and started tested and they were fine. I went ahead and got a new battery anyway and that did not make a difference. I replaced the MAF sensor and also checked the coolant temperature sensor but the problem still persists. I tried to turn key on and off a couple for times before starting. I also cleaned the throttle body, and replaced the plugs. None of this made a difference.
Once the car starts, its fine, no rough idle. If I immediately restart the car it will start normally with no starting hesitation. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem may be?

Thank you all!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Try turning the key on without starting it. Wait 30 seconds or so and then turn it to start. If it starts right up, it may be a balky fuel pump. Normally fuel stays pressurized in the fuel rails, if it doesn't then it might take a few seconds to pump up the pressure.

·
Super Moderator
11,340 Posts
Try turning the key on without starting it. Wait 30 seconds or so and then turn it to start. If it starts right up, it may be a balky fuel pump. Normally fuel stays pressurized in the fuel rails, if it doesn't then it might take a few seconds to pump up the pressure.
My thoughts also.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your replies. I tried that and it made no difference. I even tried to turn key on and off couple of times and it was the same. I ordered a new oem crank sensor and will put it in this weekend to see if it makes a difference. I want to change most of the sensors anyway since that car has 185,000 miles and has been trouble free so far.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I finally fixed the hard starting problem with my Rav4. Maybe this would help someone out. I replaced the fuel pump, fuel pickup screen, fuel pressure regulator and fuel filter. It seems like my hard starting problem was the fuel filter. Take a look at the opened fuel filter. I have no regrets replacing all the other parts. I figured it’s better to do it now since I had to take out the fuel pump, fuel regulator and fuel screen anyway.

Attachments

·
Registered
455 Posts
Bumping this thread as opposed to starting a new one.

I'll argue it was the fuel filter, as I've experienced a faint cold starting problem since I purchased my first 2005 model with 60k miles. During my RAV build I replaced the fuel filter (both of them), pulled the injectors and refurbished them, installed an Odyssey battery, and ran the codes (there were none).

I've always had a suspicion this RAV didn't start as strong as other Toyota's I've owned. It never gives me codes, OBD live data is within parameters, and it always starts no questions asked.

. . . until this weekend. I was visiting the Coast and experienced two anomalies that can't be dismissed. On Saturday the RAV started and immediately flamed out, then started and ran just fine. Sunday it required 5-6 seconds of cranking to start and continued to run normally. OBD data on Sunday suggested it was lean on start and data taken the rest of the weekend wasn't notable.

What I believe is happening is the check valve in the fuel pump is bleeding too much pressure off whilst powered down. Given several hours of down time, pressure is effectively null, prohibiting a normal start on ignition.

So I disagree with Dhiralall that his filters were the cause, as mine are new, and his problem was only associated with cold starts. As are mine.

One could argue that if the problem is the check valve, and the car runs normally otherwise, only requiring a little extra cranking on startup . . . why change the pump at all? Just remember these kinds of problems don't get better with time. 5-6 seconds of cranking now will lead to 10-20 seconds in the near future . . . then battery failure . . . or graduated to full-on dead fuel pump failure.

Ordering a new fuel pump now, and will share my experience when complete.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts