Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

My 2004 Rav4 cranks at normal speed but takes long to start after sitting for a few hours. I have no check engine light or codes. I had the battery, alternator and started tested and they were fine. I went ahead and got a new battery anyway and that did not make a difference. I replaced the MAF sensor and also checked the coolant temperature sensor but the problem still persists. I tried to turn key on and off a couple for times before starting. I also cleaned the throttle body, and replaced the plugs. None of this made a difference.
Once the car starts, its fine, no rough idle. If I immediately restart the car it will start normally with no starting hesitation. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem may be?

Thank you all!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Try turning the key on without starting it. Wait 30 seconds or so and then turn it to start. If it starts right up, it may be a balky fuel pump. Normally fuel stays pressurized in the fuel rails, if it doesn't then it might take a few seconds to pump up the pressure.

·
Super Moderator
10,209 Posts
Try turning the key on without starting it. Wait 30 seconds or so and then turn it to start. If it starts right up, it may be a balky fuel pump. Normally fuel stays pressurized in the fuel rails, if it doesn't then it might take a few seconds to pump up the pressure.
My thoughts also.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your replies. I tried that and it made no difference. I even tried to turn key on and off couple of times and it was the same. I ordered a new oem crank sensor and will put it in this weekend to see if it makes a difference. I want to change most of the sensors anyway since that car has 185,000 miles and has been trouble free so far.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I finally fixed the hard starting problem with my Rav4. Maybe this would help someone out. I replaced the fuel pump, fuel pickup screen, fuel pressure regulator and fuel filter. It seems like my hard starting problem was the fuel filter. Take a look at the opened fuel filter. I have no regrets replacing all the other parts. I figured it’s better to do it now since I had to take out the fuel pump, fuel regulator and fuel screen anyway.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts