Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After plenty of research and other info, I decided to order koni front strut inserts for my year 2000 4door awd rav4 4.1
Tire rack and koni website confirm that my year uses a different insert than the non sealed 96-99. My vehicle is specifically calling for a sealed unit 2000 model. I cut the oem strut that I have and can confirm as oem and original to the vehicle. The inside diameter of strut tube is 41mm. And the strut insert is 44mm. Obviously that won't fit. Koni said the body dimensions of the older style is the same size. Suggestions? I think I may need another pair of struts to accept the inserts, so if any one has a larger body strut will you sell them? Thanks!

·
Registered
408 Posts
I believe only the early 4.1 had replaceable inserts, the facelift having non replaceable inserts. Being a 2000, are you sure you haven't got parts for the 4.2?
When you say you cut the strut, are you sure? It should unscrew.

Have a look at KYB's site for a second opinion.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I believe I found the issue... I was sure I had oem struts in a very low mileage 2000 RAV4; apparently not... I measured my other 2000 rav4 struts and the ones on that car are correct tube/sleeve diameter. Aftermarket ones have a tapered tube at the top where they seal the strut. Time to cut up another set!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts