Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Rav4 3.5 V6 Canadian made
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi! I hope somebody could help me. The problem is as follows.
I have a 2010 rav4 3.5 v6, with 86000 km and i have changed until now the brake booster (i changed it myself the first time like 3 months ago, but was defective and was a pain in the a€^#} to take it out again, so i asked my mechanic to change it again for a another one; was weird that i had to loosen the ABS unit screws to move it out of the way and take it out and he had’nt to), and new alternator (had the 100 amp, and i put on the 150 amp one when the first stopped charging my battery, which i changed myself too, and i remember to have plugged in everything right); I have a custom audio system with 600 watt amplifier for the subwoofer from the very beggining and no problems at all.
Once my mechanic changed the booster, the tcs and check engine lights were on, but they got off when i unplugged and plugged again the brake pedal cable (maybe it was loose). Also after that there was some brake fluid on the abs unit and the fluid reservoir was a bit loose (but no leaks)
Now, i have the new alternator working fine and giving me constantly 14.2 volts more or less with engine on, even with lights and audio system turned on. I replaced also the old alt fuse 120 amp to a 140 amp (pain in the a^^#% too). The battery is a duralast gold, and it shows 12.5 volts with car off, more or less.
But after 2 weeks of use of the alternator, suddenly when going out to work in the morning (not so cold , 50 farenheit, going uphill like 15 degree and not going forward more than a block, the engine and electrical systems “died” suddenly and engine stopped! Showed suddenly battery light for a few seconds, then nothing! No hazard lights, no dashboard lights or gauges, no front lights, no power steering, highway or fog lights; but strangely there were pass lights, windows, power seats, and could move gear box positions. Was frustrating to be in the middle of the avenue. Battery was showing 12.5 volts. I took off the key, putted it again in, spinned it to on position, and the security immobilizer light turned normally off, heard the usual sound of the relay when the dashboard has to be on, but it didn’t! And when spinning the key to start the engine, i only got a click sound. I checked also bad fuses in both fuse boxes for continuity with a multimeter, (except the big ones of course) and all seemed fine...
I had to get it towed, and, suddenly, next day, at noon, all worked fine except for the tcs and check engine lights. Could start the engine and the voltage is fine! No problems with gears, lights, etc.:ROFLMAO:
The downhill assist control doesnt work either.
I have a presence alarm that cuts off the ON position when it activates but i checked the unit and relays with a multimeter and they work fine, so that doesn’t seem to be the problem.
I don’t know what to do. Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
11,327 Posts
You've done fairly extensive electrical work so my first thought is some connection left loose. Maybe even one of those elusive grounds.
Other than that I check the battery voltage under at least some load such as the headlights. I put my probes directly on the battery posts and then to the cable connectors to verify a solid connection.

·
Registered
2010 2.0 VVTi RAV 4
1,179 Posts
Agree with Dr Dyno, possible you have a bad ground somewhere associated, maybe, with the extra equipment you have added

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks Dr Dyno, i’ll check again all connections one by one from the ABS unit, to the alternator. Btw, i remember there was a metallic sheet (mounting bracket?) screwed in the old alternator and then to the engine, apart of the 2 big screws, and supported a plastic tubed cable with a plastic clip (did’nt put that piece again in the new one). Could that be an extra ground for the alternator apart from the 2 screws? I ordered an OBD2 to usb cable to detect the exact error code and start searching from there. But, in case of a short circuit or loose connection, does the ecu “isolates” itself? What do the systems that i mentioned have in common between them, so that passing some hours, they work again all together?

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Thanks Dr Dyno, i’ll check again all connections one by one from the ABS unit, to the alternator. Btw, i remember there was a metallic sheet (mounting bracket?) screwed in the old alternator and then to the engine, apart of the 2 big screws, and supported a plastic tubed cable with a plastic clip (did’nt put that piece again in the new one). Could that be an extra ground for the alternator apart from the 2 screws? I ordered an OBD2 to usb cable to detect the exact error code and start searching from there. But, in case of a short circuit or loose connection, does the ecu “isolates” itself? What do the systems that i mentioned have in common between them, so that passing some hours, they work again all together?

You might want to look into getting Techstream and the mini vci cable that goes with it for the future.

Rav4 online service manual

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi everybody! Updated info.
I just installed the old metal bracket from the old alternator, the one that goes connected from it to the engine case.. and it seems it works and hasn't died. I hope the error code doesn’t come up again. I’ll do the recommendation to scan with the obd2. BTW thanks for the manual, is very useful. I’ll post an update after i get the cable and look which error codes come up.

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 hybrid XLE, Magnetic Grey metallic, cold weather package.
635 Posts
You might want to look into getting Techstream and the mini vci cable that goes with it for the future.

Rav4 online service manual

I got this cable and can not load any drivers for it.
I specifically reimaged my older laptop to win7 32bit as I heard 64 but is troublesome. In fact I initially install win7 64 but and tried. No thing worked.
So I reinstalled with 32 but and yet same problem.
Tech stream install and running but the cable does not load. It shows as unknown device in device list yet details say best drivers for this device already installed.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I got this cable and can not load any drivers for it.
I specifically reimaged my older laptop to win7 32bit as I heard 64 but is troublesome. In fact I initially install win7 64 but and tried. No thing worked.
So I reinstalled with 32 but and yet same problem.
Tech stream install and running but the cable does not load. It shows as unknown device in device list yet details say best drivers for this device already installed.
Did you install the mvci drivers? Sounds like they didn't install

·
Registered
635 Posts
Not 100% sure now, I will try to reinstall all again some time next week to see if I missed something.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Not 100% sure now, I will try to reinstall all again some time next week to see if I missed something.
I seem to remember you having trouble before with getting Techstream to work. Or maybe it was someone else.

Did you make sure you had the settings correct in the settings box in the Techstream app

·
Registered
635 Posts
Yes it was me, but that was mostly because I tried to run on 64 bit. I reload the laptop with win7 32bit since than. Also I was able to get the proper version of TS.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Yes it was me, but that was mostly because I tried to run on 64 bit. I reload the laptop with win7 32bit since than. Also I was able to get the proper version of TS.
I run Techstream v15 on Windows 10 64bit laptop without any problems.

You must be missing a step or maybe a setting.

Let me check and see if I still have the mvci drivers. If I do then I will upload the file and sent you the link in PM. Check PM

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Thanks to all! Seems it’s solved. Hasn’t failed again! I’ll post an update once i have the OBD2 cable

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi everybody! 6 months later. Definitely solved. In addition to the missing bracket (now installed as I posted before), when I upgraded to the 140 amp fuse, I noticed something: when pushing gently on the fuse box with the RAV ignited on, the vehicle seemed to turn off for an instant or totally (depending if I quit the pressure from it before the RAV turned off). So I cleaned up all relays and fuses with a metallic brush, lubricated them with WD 4 - 0, including the bolted cable that is easy to see, but still same problem persisted.Then I pushed harder on the fuse box and I noticed it wasn't totally assembled. Then, I pushed all around the fuse box until was correctly assembled, pushed again and no more engine powered off (only if I pushed very hard in the center of it :confused:) . Apparently when I dissasembled the entire fuse box, it was a loosen cable that I could have pulled off but I'll never know which one. I hope I never have to dismantle it again, it's a pandora's box :cry:, a nightmare. It's sad and shameful when you need to tow your vehicle in the middle of an avenue just because of an electrical issue. Thanks again to everybody! Btw, the OBDII cable and software didn't show any error code.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts